Tracking NCAA wrestling stars entering MMA

I forgot about the Storlry/MVP fight - I just watched it and damn it was bad. It went exactly as I pictured it

I held pads for Nick Piccininni a handful of times when he was in highschool/college he is a natural hard hitter.

2 Likes

Bryce Meredith (3x AA) 3-0
Mitch McKee (2x AA) 3-0. Just won his Bellator debut
Nick Piccininni (3x AA) 3-0
Bo Nickal (4x AA, 3x champ) 3-0. Wins DWCS, now in UFC.
Pat Downey (1x AA) 1-1 (Bellator) got worked by a scrub in his last fight.
Anthony Cassar (1xAA, 1x champ) 1-0 (beat a guy who was 3-19ā€¦yeesh)

Am I missing anybody else recently?

1 Like

Bryce Meredith (3x AA) 3-0. Fighting in March.
Mitch McKee (2x AA) 4-0. Detonated on a dude in LFA
Nick Piccininni (3x AA) 3-0
Bo Nickal (4x AA, 3x champ) 4-0. Blew his UFC debuts nuts to smithereens, then tapped him out.
Anthony Cassar (1xAA, 1x champ) 1-0 (beat a guy who was 3-19ā€¦yeesh)
Jordan Oliver (4xAA, 2x champ) Just announced he was going to try MMA. (heā€™s already 32, though, so heā€™s more along the lines of guys who are passed their wrestling peak, and moving to MMA in their athletic twilight)

Pat Downey (1x AA) 1-1 (Bellator) got worked by a scrub in his last fight (and released. He may be done)

Am I missing anybody else recently?

Also interesting to compare the careers of Bo Nickal and Zain Retherford. About the same age, roughly comparable Folkstyle Careers (I think Nickal was a little better, but Zain was in that same conversation). Zain chose to stick with freestyle while the guys ahead of him started to age out, and Nickal chose to move to MMA rather than wait for David Taylor to get a little older, and him to get a little better.

Now, Zainā€™s best wait is a non-Olympic weight, so to get to the Olympics, heā€™s going to have to move to 65 or 74 and beat like Dake, or Yianni, or Nolf or somebody, but heā€™s right there as our number one guy at 70kg (along with McKenna and Green).

Nolf is a guy I know has interest in MMA (Iā€™ve seen clips of him doing some submission rolling), so Iā€™m curious to see how his career develops vs Boā€™s.

1 Like

Jordan Oliver signed with Bellator

Edit - I see you got thatā€¦

Itā€™ll be very interesting to see how Bellator handles JO with his age. He obviously has a plethora of talent but how will they manage his first few fights will tell us a lot.

Great thread. Thanks for the update Slowshot

1 Like

Oliver is a great prospect

1 Like

I see 4x DII champ Joey Davis has returned to Bellator. 8-0. Fights at the end of the month. Iā€™d like to see him get in there with some of Bellatorā€™s better WWā€™s at this point as he is already 29.