Train with a BJJ MASTER

Master Ricardo Murgel 7th Dan BJJ will be in Joliet in may Covering Submissions for MMA. Don't miss the chance to train with a true BJJ Master. Presented By: Union Fighting Team(Northern USA), HCX Mixed Martial Arts, and HILL BROTHERS JIU-JITSU
When: Saturday May 5th, 2007 Where: Inwood Athletic Center 3000 W. Jefferson St. Joliet, IL. 60431 Time: 3:00- 6:00pm Cost: Only $65 Phone: 815-730-3800 Private training available

More info........ www.hcxmma.com or www.hbjj.org
Worth every dime. Master Murgel doesn't hold back anything. Come and Find out for yourself.

Anyone ever heard anything on this guy?

You can go to www.hbjj.org and click on a short bio on Master Murgel.

He is the first Blackbelt and master ranked Instructor under Grand Master Flavio Behring. He is the BJJ Master to Shane Pitts, Nathan Marquart of the UFC and Pancrase, as well as a trainer for Fabricio Werdum, nust to name a few. He has been around the BJJ game longer than most people have known it exsisted. Come and check him out if you are able to attend.

I just saved you a trip. here ya go.

A little history on this great man and instructor:

In 1957, at 12 years old, Ricardo Murgel started his martial arts training in Western boxing in Rio de Janeiro. Soon afterward he started training at the Olympico Club with Lirton Monassa who was teaching Luta-Livre (a freestyle method that pioneered the mixed martial arts that included strikes, takedowns and ground fighting). Three years later Ricardo place himself under the tutorship of Professor Oswaldo "Guru" Simon to improve his ground fighting skills. The judo school he was attending, run by Master George Medhi, did indeed improve his throwing and ground skills, but the strikes that he liked so much in boxing and Luta-Livre were missing. Therefore, Ricardo joined the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu system at 19 years old (this was 1964). Ricardo's first Jiu-Jitsu instructor was the famous Joao Alvaro Barreto, who was trained personally by Helio Gracie. Even back in those days Helio Gracie was incredibly popular, and charged a healthy fee to well-to-do business men. When Barreto's was young his wealthy father could afford the lessons, and Barreto received his Black Belt from Gracie. Barreto later went on to open up his own school under his own name. In the daytime Ricardo Murgel was attending the Candido Mendes University studying to be a lawyer. In 1969 he received his Bachelor in Law and Social Sciences. After school he began his practice, but this did not dwindle down Ricardo's hunger to learn the martial arts. At Joao Alvaro Barreto's academy, Ricardo continued his training under Master Flavio Behring, also a disciple of Helio Gracie since the age of 10, and went on to receive his black belt through Behring in 1972. A few years later, in 1978, Flavio Behring and Ricardo Murgel joined forces and opened up a martial arts school together in the posh neighborhood of Barra da Tijuca. Within those four walls they taught Jiu-Jitsu and Vale-Tudo (mixed martial arts). Looking to expand, Ricardo moved down south to the coastal city of Porto Alegre in 1985. He was the first instructor to open up a Jiu-Jitsu school in this large city, and called his school "Winner," which was affiliated with Behring's school. Ten years later the Confederacao Brasileira de Jiu-Jitsu (C.B.J.J.) awarded him his 5th degree black belt. Ricardo Murgel loved competition, and loved building champions. He therefore founded the Union World Fighting Team (a Jiu-Jitsu and MMA, Mixed Martial Arts, team) in 1997. This team participated in world championships and MMA events such as the UFC, Abu-Dhabi Championship, World Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championship, and many state competitions. Although Ricardo Murgel has trained and taught classical Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, there is another side to his martial arts background ? firearms, tactics, and realistic training. Back in 1969 Ricardo was not only studying his take downs, punching, and ground fighting, but he also began his firearms training at the Civil Police Academy in Rio de Janeiro (handgun, shotgun and sub machinegun training). His instructors were state renowned Solimar Henrique and Sergio Farjalla. Ricardo became more heavily involved in police tactics and firearms training when his brother Carlos became the CEO of Taurus Firearms Corporation. This family association landed him the position of Consultant/Advisor to the firm. His responsibilities included demonstrating the line of weapons to prospective government entities, testing prototypes, and loaning weapons to agencies for training. A benefit to the consulting position with Taurus was being sent all over North and South America for top firearms training. For example, Ricardo obtained his Master Firearms Instructor certificate through legendary Peyton Quinn (Rocky Mountain Combat Applications Training in Boulder, Colorado), he received his Close Combat Instructor certificate with Northeast Arms Training Systems, his Handgun II certificate with T.E.E.S., had exposure to Israeli shooting methods through Hanan Yadim (Israeli Instinctive Shooting ? I.S.I.), and worked for dozen other certificates with a wide variety of systems and instructors. Beginning in the early 1980s Ricardo Murgel's contacts with many police agencies inevitably had an affect on his own teaching methods and changing martial arts philosophy. He remembered how when he first got into Jiu-Jitsu and the Mixed Martial Arts back in his youth how it was more geared toward street self-defense. Yet, over the years he noticed a trend in Brazil to slant the training toward sport-based techniques and training methods. In the 1990s Ricardo often found himself at odds with the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu community. Although he was widely respected throughout Brazil, his candid remarks about how most schools were not providing real self-defense programs to those students who were seeking it, made him somewhat of a rebel. Ricardo openly recalls the change when he said, "Jiu-Jitsu became sport-based 25 years ago because the young generation wanted competition. More schools started to open, and people wanted to test their skills." He went on to say, "Back in 1964 the Jiu-Jitsu was more focused for the streets. In other words, it was more street aggressive. The difference between now and then is that back then there were more self-defense techniques, like kicks and punches, and defense against grabs and holds. Oh sure, some of that is coming back today, but it's not for survival situations, its for the new rules and trends in competition." Although Ricardo continued to teach sport-based Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, he simultaneously taught Defensive Tactics (martial arts for police officers) to various police agencies; not just in Brazil, but also in the United States. In 1985 Ricardo referred to his Defensive Tactics as Combate a Curta Distancia (Combat at Close Quarters). Some of his clients included the State Civil Police with the Departamento Estadual de Investigacao Criminal (I D.E.I.C), State prison guards with the Escola Do Servico Penitenciario in Rio Grande do Sul, the State Police Academy known as ACADEPOL, Brazilian Ministry of Justice, the Ohio Peace Officer Academy, the Greenfield Peace Officer Academy, and dozens of other entities.

ttt

it was a cut out bio.But you see his credentials.That is the point.Thanks for your expert paragraph analysis though.

TTT for Master Murgel.

ttt

TTT

damn promoter12, just edit your post and hit the enter key a few times to make it readable.

Since no one else is speaking up I'll do it. I've only had a few bjj classes so I'm far from an expert. But I think I can spot BS, and Ricardo seemed like the real deal. He'll break down a move and show you how to do it gi, no gi, sport, street, if you're carrying a gun, etc.

I'd be very surprised if anyone went to this and found it to be a waste of time amd money.

well put OnCall

ttt

wow, these old timers are legit badasses!

ttt for a true master

ttt

It never ceases to amaze me how people sign on here with dumb shit to say. I thought you were on here because you like MMA and things associated with it. If you don't, go sign on another post that is talking about more dumb shit. Leave this post to mature individuals. Oh, I think they're talking about humpin people during training on another post,better go catch up on that.

No offense promoter12 but you may want to work on your PR skill set a little bit.

Oncall, I usually come on here and keep my professionalism, but it comes a time when you get tired of people who come on here with silly things. This is not a thread for silly ramblings. As I stated before the Bio was a cut out from the Union Fighting Team site. Everytime someone posts something on here some immature person jumps on and talks about everything under the sun. It is dumb and should be kept on a dumber and mindless post. If you look at any of my other post I have never broken my profesional character. For those of you who I may have offended by stooping to the level of silly kids on here, I apologize.If you are interested in training with Master Murgel this is the post for you, if not God speed.

TTT for Master Murgel

Professor Murgel is an excellent teacher and he can show/explain things so that even beginners can learn the techniques. (His English is excellent too btw) He also generally shows tweaks or alternatives to each depending on whether you're looking for straight grappling, MMA, self defense, etc..

I've been fortunate enough to have met him a couple of times and I'd highly recommmend him to anyone looking to learn. I promise you'll walk away from his training feeling that you've learned something.

ChadK that is what this is about. The point is, this man is a great instructor and if anyone can attend, they should.