Trained lots of leglocks Saturday with leg reaps

Trained a ton of leglocks with some really top tier Sambo guys Saturday and it made me realize once again why we aren't allowed to reap the leg. It's because the IBJJF doesn't support leg locks. Total pussification of our sport IMO. And you can't reap the leg but you can do toeholds?

Can some one also explain why toeholds are allowed but heelhooks are not? Don't they both attack the knee in a twisting fashion? Phone Post

why don't you call up the ibjjf and find out yourself.

fucking whining about the same shit every week dude.

you can't reap. we got it. no  one does leglocks at all.

go compete at adcc and be happy

the toe hold can affect the knee depending on a few things, but because your pressure is more on the toes than the heel most of the pressure is felt on the ankle (like you are rolling your ankle) than the knee. with a heel hook you are using the ankle as the lever to place most of the pressure directly on the knee.

this is why i don't think heel hooks should be allowed but reaping should be.

your gripe with the reap rule is of course legitimate.

fyi i am pretty sure heelhooks aren't legal in sambo either

*sport sambo, to be specific

In Sport Sambo Heelhooks and toeholds are illegal. reaping is legal as well as achilles locks, kneebars, calf/knee crush.

Also in sport Sambo if you have your opponent in a leglock and he stands up, it breaks the hold and you restart from your feet. So reaping is important as it can help in controlling your opponent's other leg so he can't stand.

SleepBomb - why don't you call up the ibjjf and find out yourself.

fucking whining about the same shit every week dude.

you can't reap. we got it. no  one does leglocks at all.

go compete at adcc and be happy

Why don't you not click the thread if you don't like the subject?

If you don't agree thats fine, but do you have to be such a little prick about it? Phone Post

I mean I could start threads about how long to get a bluebelt or Gi Vs NoGi if I wanted to be original. Phone Post

demandango - the toe hold can affect the knee depending on a few things, but because your pressure is more on the toes than the heel most of the pressure is felt on the ankle (like you are rolling your ankle) than the knee. with a heel hook you are using the ankle as the lever to place most of the pressure directly on the knee.

Thanks for the info. Phone Post

If you can't reap the leg it's not a real fight, bro Phone Post

You guys keep complaining about knee reaping until you get reaped and tear you acl and can't train for 6 months to a year . Deal with the rules . Adapt adjust and overcome. Phone Post

Bionik Careca - You guys keep complaining about knee reaping until you get reaped and tear you acl and can't train for 6 months to a year . Deal with the rules . Adapt adjust and overcome. Phone Post

I've had my knee reaped more times than I can count, I have also reaped more knees than I can count. It has never led to an injury. And as long as I've been doing this I have seen a lot of injuries, but none caused by a knee reap.

My question is how can they allow toe holds (a twisting leg lock) but not a knee reap? Totally contradicting rules.

And it's not so much about adapting, I can and will follow the rules if I'm competing in a IBJJF tournament (which I enjoy competing in). I just think this is a watering down/pussification of our sport.

You do realize sport BJJ is not a fight, right?

From my personal experience in BJJ (15 years), I have been hurt and have accidentally hurt people with heel hooks.

I have been hurt and have accidentally hurt other people with toe holds.

I have never been hurt, or have hurt other people with a straight ankle lock, regardless of if the leg was crossed over like the "reap." Not only that, I have never even heard of anyone having their knee injured in a straight ankle lock unless they are an idiot and try to spin out of it like a heel hook.

Glad to see you understood what I meant.

One leg X guard is really good for sweeps but I have seen people get the d.q. while attempting a sweep cause the guy pushes the leg across and cries to the ref. about a reap so reaping is not always about leg locks

demandango - the toe hold can affect the knee depending on a few things, but because your pressure is more on the toes than the heel most of the pressure is felt on the ankle (like you are rolling your ankle) than the knee. with a heel hook you are using the ankle as the lever to place most of the pressure directly on the knee.

Not a bad compromise. I still wonder if just not allowing the heel hooks would save people's knees as you could really torque the lower leg eg to go for the knee bar.

I think it's pretty well-established that sambo has the best leglock rules -- including safety aspects -- while IBJJF leglock rules are fucktarded. No reason to belabor it constantly.

Mighty Cthulhu - I think it's pretty well-established that sambo has the best leglock rules -- including safety aspects -- while IBJJF leglock rules are fucktarded. No reason to belabor it constantly.

I have never seen anything resembling a consensus that sport Sambo has the best leglock rules. I certainly don't think they do.

HoldYerGround -
Mighty Cthulhu - I think it's pretty well-established that sambo has the best leglock rules -- including safety aspects -- while IBJJF leglock rules are fucktarded. No reason to belabor it constantly.

I have never seen anything resembling a consensus that sport Sambo has the best leglock rules. I certainly don't think they do.

In that case who does? Phone Post