Tricky Triangle From Half Guard When Overhooked

One of the most common things people are told to do when they have the half guard on the bottom is to get an undertook because it will lead to a lot of good attacks.  This is very true but sometimes you’ll come across an opponent who has a strong overhook, or just overbooks you in general in an attempt to stop your attacks.

In this video I demonstrate a triangle attack that you can do against your opponent that overbooks you while you have the half guard.

The good thing about this attack is that not many people are going to expect you to actually attack for a triangle choke from this position so you may also have the element of surprise as well.

This is an attack that I like to do often from this scenario.

Hope it helps

Jason Scully

Remember that awesome triangle from half guard aoki did on Jason black? That was super sweet. Phone Post 3.0

Pride. Phone Post 3.0

up

It's nearly exactly the ryan hall hip bump to triangle that I friggin love...He hooks the left foot over the shoulder, which I find is great for keeping your hips elevated and attached to your opponent. Anytime I rush it and only put my foot over the back, my hips fall to the mat and the triangle is 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yoaQjv2T4

Aoiki's triangle was awesome, but not the same. There was no underhook or wizzer. He had dbl wrist grip and was on his side and instead of pushing the head away to go for an oma plata he just kept the dbl wrist grip in order to prevent the opponent from blocking his right leg.

I actually don't think I ever saw Aoki's triangle, I'll have to look it up.

Swiping that outside leg is soo helpful Phone Post 3.0

Nice Phone Post 3.0

Similar to how Lauzon triangled Jamie Varner. I've seen the move fail plenty of times but a lot of guys who lose someones back miss out on the opening.

BTW, It's awesome that Cole Miller is posting! Headlining a UFC soon.

Just watched the Aoki match..was a sweet triangle for sure.

Lauzon's is similar as well.  He has an overhook and more of a scrambe too. This exact situation it's actually harder for the person with the overhook to attempt the triangle.  Whoevers leg is on top has more of the advantage.

Worked this last night. There is an omaplata there also if the opponent goes flat.....pretty slick and easier than it appears to be... Phone Post 3.0

The Elastic Assassin - Worked this last night. There is an omaplata there also if the opponent goes flat.....pretty slick and easier than it appears to be... Phone Post 3.0

Great...yeah there is definitely an omo plata there...I have a whole series on this position on my site...tons of good things.