Two pre-UFC Fights that Shaped the Course of MMA

Just wrote this article, thinking about the old days some:

Two Pre-UFC Fights that Shaped the Course of Modern MMA

Interesting, but I don't think they really had much impact on modern MMA. Just look at who started the UFC, a promoter with no background in fighting and a familiy from Brazil that likely never saw either of those fights before.

BigWilliam - Interesting, but I don't think they really had much impact on modern MMA. Just look at who started the UFC, a promoter with no background in fighting and a familiy from Brazil that likely never saw either of those fights before.

I'd be surprised if Rorion hadn't heard of these two fights. 

I actually have that LeBell fight on tape somewhere,given to me by the man himself. Never did track down the whole Ali-Inoki card or even the whole fight for that matter.

Beezulbubba - I actually have that LeBell fight on tape somewhere,given to me by the man himself. Never did track down the whole Ali-Inoki card or even the whole fight for that matter.

I've seen the whole fight.  It's... long.

Interesting stuff but I seriously doubt if either of those had any influence whatsoever in shaping the course of MMA

pickula - Interesting stuff but I seriously doubt if either of those had any influence whatsoever in shaping the course of MMA

I disagree.  The seed was definitely planted in the minds of many for much more organized fights to take place in the future.

ttt

In America, the Ali/Inoki fight was shown on closed circuit as the main event of various pro wrestling cards around the country with different undercards regionally. The only one that did good money was in New York where WWWF ran Shea with Andre the Giant vs. Chuck Wepner and Bruno Sammartino vs. Stan Hansen (Hansen broke Bruno's neck some time earlier and this was Bruno's return, this soon because Vince Sr. was concerned with business).

The story goes that the match would be like the other "mixed styles" fights with Inoki, he'd win a worked match. Ali would beat up Inoki, then ask the ref to stop the fight while Inoki would end up kicking him in the head and pin him. Ali didn't like it, didn't want to lose, and scrapped it. It ended up turning into a shoot fight, with several rules restricting what Inoki could do.

Antonio could not hit Ali in the head, use any submission holds or take Ali to the ground at all. After 15 rounds of Inoki, on his back, kicking at Ali's legs, it was a huge disappointment outside Japan. Of course there, they saw it as their country's hero defeating the American boxer and Inoki is still huge today.

cool, id never seen footage of the lebell fight but had read about it :)

Nitecrawler - Wait so MMA didn't start with Bonnar/Griffin?????!!!!! :-)

Easy to laugh at this, but then you have to remember how many people were exposed to MMA through that TV show.  It went from being something you had to work to explain to people, to "I trane UFC" overnight.  

Cool article!

Kirik -  Cool article!

Thanks, Kirik!

Nitecrawler - 
judogoat - 

Easy to laugh at this, but then you have to remember how many people were exposed to MMA through that TV show.  It went from being something you had to work to explain to people, to "I trane UFC" overnight.  

You're not kidding. I remember trying to explain to people back in like 2002 that I train MMA and someone from work asked me "Don't they fight to the death in that cage". I thought he was joking...he was not :(

Wait... you guys don't fight to the death?

ttt

Nitecrawler - 
judogoat - 
Nitecrawler - 
judogoat - 

You're not kidding. I remember trying to explain to people back in like 2002 that I train MMA and someone from work asked me "Don't they fight to the death in that cage". I thought he was joking...he was not :(

Wait... you guys don't fight to the death?

Only on the weekends when I need extra cash. My current record is 12-3 in death matches :)

It's no 400-0, but it'll do.