Tying your belt the old school Gracie way?

Many members of the Gracie family (Helio branch) and of their main academies like Gracie Humaita, Rickson Gracie academy, Relson Gracie, Rorion Gracie etc.. tie their belt in this way. The main difference from the standard way is that instead of looping over both sides of the belt, the knot is just on one side. What do you think:

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/tie-your-jiu-jitsu-belt-the-old-school-gracie-way/

It helps keep the belt tied. When it pulls in one direction it tightens the belt.

I prefer this way of the belt is thick. (Like atama for example) the other way if the belt is thin (koral for example) Phone Post

To Relson everything is gamesmanship, the way he ties is it intentionally loose so that it comes off easy and doesn't provide the enemy a good grip.

I was showed this way the first time I ever put one on...

How MG ties his Phone Post

I tie my belt like this cause its faster Phone Post

I do the old-school Judo version, where you tuck the end in before you tie the knot. It never comes undone that way.

Sub Phone Post

joshjitsu - 

Funny story- he told me the reason why he ties it this way is because as a child (teenager) he saw a picture of Rickson with it tied that way, so he decided that was the way to do it.

In Phone Post

kying418 - 
joshjitsu - 

Funny story- he told me the reason why he ties it this way is because as a child (teenager) he saw a picture of Rickson with it tied that way, so he decided that was the way to do it.

I'm sure there young players now that are tying their belts this way cause they see Marcello doing it.

spider guard -
kying418 - 
joshjitsu -  How MG ties his Phone Post

I'm sure there young players now that are tying their belts this way cause they see Marcello doing it.

I'm thinking about trying it. I've got the same belt, and i tie it the ultra judo way (supertie) and it comes untied in six seconds of rolling/drilling.

Unfortunately I just don't think it LOOKS as nice. Phone Post

I've always done it this way and have no idea why Phone Post

checkuroil - 

I tie my belt like this cause its faster Phone Post

I'm pretty sure thats the reason I do it too. I can't fathom tying it the "fancier" way where there is no fold in the back- that must take forever during mid roll.

kying418 -
checkuroil -  I tie my belt like this cause its faster Phone Post

I'm pretty sure thats the reason I do it too. I can't fathom tying it the "fancier" way where there is no fold in the back- that must take forever during mid roll.

Nah, you get pretty quick at it. Phone Post

i used to tie my belt the traditional way (jiu jitsu not the complex judo way). i agree 100% that it is far more difficult to use your belt against you in a match. as a bigger guy, i also do it because at times, my belt will make its way up around my diaphragm and it limits my breathing. i find that this way of tying it does not hinder my ability to breath when it shifts up (if it does stay tied).

I started to tie my belt like that after reading this thread...
My attempt at the super knot never works Phone Post

I just tie mine loose so that it comes off in the first 15 seconds and then toss it to the edge of the mat and keep rolling...problem solved.

i wanted to be a cool guy and tied my belt like this

my instructor comes over to me with a weird face and says, let me fix that. i said, this is how rickson does it. this didnt go over so hot and I was told "rolls gracie taught me to tie the belt this way and this is how we're gonna do it"

I used to tie a loop through the back until Carlson Gracie retied it for me one time and said "This way tighter" (without the loop through the back) and it actually took me forever to undo the knot because he had tied it as hard as he could.