UFC 177 purses range from 8k to 100k

ChippewaBJJ - 
Captfireeyes - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife -
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 

This is one of the worst cards of the year, I have never heard of any of these people, I wont be buying this show and the UFC will do about 50k buys. - The UG

Fighter pay for 177 is announced

How the hell are these guys getting paid so little money? They deserve to all be millionaires. - The UG

Don't you think their take home should be more than the gate when you consider its $65 for a pvp.

Even 50k pvp buys is 1.6mil for Zuffa, combined with a 700k gate, that is 2.3mil take from just those 2 revenue streams. There are considerably more than just those 2, but I have no idea what they add up to.

The fighters, the people the fans paid to watch made a reported 550k roughly. Somehow, I don't see it costing the UFC 1.7mil to put on that show. They made a lot of money of these guys.

Don't forget the 200k in perfomance bonuses. Add in the accomidations and flights for fighters and their coach. All of the advertising on billboards and commercials, the cost of all of the workers backstage. The cost to rent an arena. The cost of the annoucers. And just general overhead for the company.

But forget all about that. My main point was people on here just find reasons to complain about everything. They spent the whole week shitting on this card and the people on it and then when they see the fighter pay they get all up in arms that people they have never heard of and said they wouldn't pay to watch aren't making NFL type money.

550k was with the 200k in performance bonuses. If it costs them 1.7mil to put on that event they are doing something wrong.

no it isn't, the pay was 420k before the bonuses so it comes out to 620k. Also don't forget that 4 fighters were pulled off the card last minute. All but Barao got their pay for that as well.

If the event sells 50k vs 500k, do those fighter salaries increase? Or do we just assume the UFC gives them a nice locker room bonus?

What % of the UFC's profits do you think goes to the fighters? My guess is 15%, I wouldn't be shocked if it was lower... Phone Post 3.0

How much of the UFC's 'profits' go to the fighters? The answer is NONE.

'Profits' are what is left over after the UFC takes in its revenues, subtracts expenses, and pays taxes. Fighter pay is a company expense, just like W2 payroll would be for a company with regular employees. Any leftover profit goes straight to the company owners or shareholders, just like it does at EVERY OTHER COMPANY IN THE WORLD.

For reference, General Motors took in total revenues of around $156 billion last year. After paying expenses (including payroll, salaries, cost to build cars, etc.) they were left with a net profit of just $3.8 billion. Margins in the manufacturing world are slimmer than the entertainment world as a general rule, but it's a point of comparison to show you that knowing a company's revenue figures is almost a worthless figure by itself. It tells you absolutely nothing about their profitability, financial stability, or relative net worth.

To use a sports metaphor, it would be like trying to determine how good a batter a baseball player is simply by asking how many at-bats he had in a year.

I love all the Google search finance majors who get in on these threads and start throwing around gate receipts and PPV prices as 'take home' money for the UFC. Almost as funny as all the production and marketing majors who think they know what it costs to put on a major televised production like a UFC event. The UFC could/should pay these guys better but you guys have literally zero clue what percentage of the total company expenses could/should go to fighter pay without having a set of their financial statements. Which you don't have and never will.

The smartest and most accurate thing that has been said in this thread. VTFU

UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
ChippewaBJJ - 
Captfireeyes - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife -
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 

This is one of the worst cards of the year, I have never heard of any of these people, I wont be buying this show and the UFC will do about 50k buys. - The UG

How the hell are these guys getting paid so little money? They deserve to all be millionaires. - The UG

Don't you think their take home should be more than the gate when you consider its $65 for a pvp.

Even 50k pvp buys is 1.6mil for Zuffa, combined with a 700k gate, that is 2.3mil take from just those 2 revenue streams. There are considerably more than just those 2, but I have no idea what they add up to.

The fighters, the people the fans paid to watch made a reported 550k roughly. Somehow, I don't see it costing the UFC 1.7mil to put on that show. They made a lot of money of these guys.

Don't forget the 200k in perfomance bonuses. Add in the accomidations and flights for fighters and their coach. All of the advertising on billboards and commercials, the cost of all of the workers backstage. The cost to rent an arena. The cost of the annoucers. And just general overhead for the company.

But forget all about that. My main point was people on here just find reasons to complain about everything. They spent the whole week shitting on this card and the people on it and then when they see the fighter pay they get all up in arms that people they have never heard of and said they wouldn't pay to watch aren't making NFL type money.

550k was with the 200k in performance bonuses. If it costs them 1.7mil to put on that event they are doing something wrong.

no it isn't, the pay was 420k before the bonuses so it comes out to 620k. Also don't forget that 4 fighters were pulled off the card last minute. All but Barao got their pay for that as well.

If the event sells 50k vs 500k, do those fighter salaries increase? Or do we just assume the UFC gives them a nice locker room bonus?

What % of the UFC's profits do you think goes to the fighters? My guess is 15%, I wouldn't be shocked if it was lower... Phone Post 3.0

'Profits' are what is left over after the UFC takes in its revenues, subtracts expenses, and pays taxes. Fighter pay is a company expense, just like W2 payroll would be for a company with regular employees. Any leftover profit goes straight to the company owners or shareholders, just like it does at EVERY OTHER COMPANY IN THE WORLD.

For reference, General Motors took in total revenues of around $156 billion last year. After paying expenses (including payroll, salaries, cost to build cars, etc.) they were left with a net profit of just $3.8 billion. Margins in the manufacturing world are slimmer than the entertainment world as a general rule, but it's a point of comparison to show you that knowing a company's revenue figures is almost a worthless figure by itself. It tells you absolutely nothing about their profitability, financial stability, or relative net worth.

To use a sports metaphor, it would be like trying to determine how good a batter a baseball player is simply by asking how many at-bats he had in a year.

I love all the Google search finance majors who get in on these threads and start throwing around gate receipts and PPV prices as 'take home' money for the UFC. Almost as funny as all the production and marketing majors who think they know what it costs to put on a major televised production like a UFC event. The UFC could/should pay these guys better but you guys have literally zero clue what percentage of the total company expenses could/should go to fighter pay without having a set of their financial statements. Which you don't have and never will.

Far smarter and more accurate than:

"And honestly people get paid what they are worth. If they could get paid better by someone else they should go get it. Most of the people on this card were unranked fighters that nobody heard of. People that bought the card didn't buy it for them. they bought it for the intials UFC. Whether we agree or not that it is fair the fact is that is the truth."

And the above poster agrees that the fighter should be paid more. He's just pointing out that people throwing out speculated "profits" don't have the grasp on finances of the UFC that they think they do. He hasn't argued that they aren't showing huge profits.

It is definetly smarter and more accurate than what I said. I used generalizations. It is also a lot smarter than people saying UFC = U Fight Cheap. The fact that he is getting at is that nobody here knows what the UFC makes. Coming on here and arguing about it is just pointless because we don't know all of the information. The UFC is a business plain and simple and their main goal is to make money. Same as McDonalds same as General Motors.

ChippewaBJJ -
Captfireeyes - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife -
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 

I appreciate the well thought out response. I should have said "revenue".

Using baseball as an example. When a player's contract is up and they test free agency, they will look at their numbers (Home runs, batting average, RBI's, fielding %, etc.) and offer them a deal that is comparable to a player on another team with similar stats. Tanaka got paid a ridiculous amount of money before he even threw one pitch in the MLB. Fighters are basically told, if you don't like it, don't take it, and just because the UFC pays 4k more than Bellator, doesn't mean it's right.

Do you think Gil got a better deal from the UFC before or after Bellator offered him 200k? Why were Strikeforce fighters on average making more than some long time UFC vets? Because Strikeforce had to pay them well so they would sign with their org and the contracts carried over. If a baseball, football, hockey, basketball player doesn't like their current situation, they can go to a different team and make the same or better by either waiting for free agency or being traded. The UFC tells you to go fuck yourself if you don't like it, and take in lots of $ while doing it.

You are 100% correct about one thing though, we don't know what the UFC or their fighters actually make. All I can do is count the PPV sales, ticket sales, and the 90 million a year from FOX, then we can speculate about sponsors, global TV deals, merchandise, etc. When the reported pay for fighters is less than the live ticket sales (which doesn't even come close to the 90 million FOX deal, yet alone everything else factored in), excuse me for being a little sceptical about how the UFC pays their fighters... You know, the actual product we want to see... Phone Post 3.0

youarewhatiswrong - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
ChippewaBJJ - 
Captfireeyes - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife -
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 

"And honestly people get paid what they are worth. If they could get paid better by someone else they should go get it. Most of the people on this card were unranked fighters that nobody heard of. People that bought the card didn't buy it for them. they bought it for the intials UFC. Whether we agree or not that it is fair the fact is that is the truth."

And the above poster agrees that the fighter should be paid more. He's just pointing out that people throwing out speculated "profits" don't have the grasp on finances of the UFC that they think they do. He hasn't argued that they aren't showing huge profits.

I would argue that they probably aren't quite as 'profitable' as you might believe. Remember, Dana White's salary (and any other executive for that matter) is considered an expense as well. Generally speaking, from a tax standpoint, businesses try to show as little net income/profit as possible because it lowers their tax liability. They can do this is by paying high executive bonuses/salaries, buying property or other assets, or by over-funding employee retirement plans. Corporate accountants get paid a lot of money to make sure these companies show as little profit as possible.

Remember, guys... the NFL is a registered Non-Profit organization (yes, seriously, they are) like the Salvation Army or the fucking Red Cross. You can't really compare how they operate to how the UFC operates. Non profits use an entirely different method of accounting; not to mention the NFL player's union has a revenue sharing agreement with the teams. Assuming the $3.5 billion net worth figure for the UFC is accurate, that means the Dallas Cowboys combined with the Detroit Lions are worth more than the entire UFC organization. Think about that.

When all is said and done, you can start to see why Ben Askren is in no hurry to get on his knees and beg Dana White for a 'shot' at the UFC. He's making 50/50 in OneFC and took literally no damage doing so this weekend. In the meantime, he's building his brand of wrestling camps and he'll make a great living outside of MMA whenever he decides he's had enough. He's probably one of the smartest guys in all of mixed martial arts from a business/quality of life perspective.

ChippewaBJJ -
youarewhatiswrong - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
ChippewaBJJ - 
Captfireeyes - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife -
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 
Zeph - 
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 

I would argue that they probably aren't quite as 'profitable' as you might believe. Remember, Dana White's salary (and any other executive for that matter) is considered an expense as well. Generally speaking, from a tax standpoint, businesses try to show as little net income/profit as possible because it lowers their tax liability. They can do this is by paying high executive bonuses/salaries, buying property or other assets, or by over-funding employee retirement plans. Corporate accountants get paid a lot of money to make sure these companies show as little profit as possible.

Remember, guys... the NFL is a registered Non-Profit organization (yes, seriously, they are) like the Salvation Army or the fucking Red Cross. You can't really compare how they operate to how the UFC operates. Non profits use an entirely different method of accounting; not to mention the NFL player's union has a revenue sharing agreement with the teams. Assuming the $3.5 billion net worth figure for the UFC is accurate, that means the Dallas Cowboys combined with the Detroit Lions are worth more than the entire UFC organization. Think about that.

When all is said and done, you can start to see why Ben Askren is in no hurry to get on his knees and beg Dana White for a 'shot' at the UFC. He's making 50/50 in OneFC and took literally no damage doing so this weekend. In the meantime, he's building his brand of wrestling camps and he'll make a great living outside of MMA whenever he decides he's had enough. He's probably one of the smartest guys in all of mixed martial arts from a business/quality of life perspective.
The lowest paid player on the Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions make more than all the fighters on UFC 177 combined... I'm not saying the UFC needs to give everyone 500k salaries and huge signing bonuses, but seeing people headline a $60 PPV event and only make 20k, makes me a little concerned. Phone Post 3.0

The problem with your baseball analogy is that you're again comparing a sport worth vastly more than the UFC. The LA Dodgers combined with the Boston Red Sox are worth more than the entire UFC company. You just can't possibly compare salaries with organizations who operate at such different levels.

Also, the UFC-FOX $90 million deal is over 7-8 years. So they're only receiving $10 million a year from Fox. To put that in perspective, the Houston Texans just signed a deal to pay J.J. Watt $15 million a year for the next six years. Despite DFW trying to sound like a big shot... Fox is paying the UFC per year less than what Watt will make for four months of work this season. There's yet another area where you people with no concept of finance hear a big number and all the sudden start spouting off about how much 'cash' the UFC 'has' in the bank. It's just not true, period.

Strikeforce's salaries aren't a great talking point either, because their fighter pay sunk the organization. That 'product' you were so eager to see clearly wasn't worth what they were shelling out to the fighters, and they were bankrupt as a result of it.

By your analogy, GM should be paying its assembly line workers $250k a year, right? After all, they're the ones who are making the actual 'product' you buy, correct?

The 'product' of the UFC is NOT just the fights. It's the whole event itself. While you might be just as happy to have great fights and fighter paid a million dollars a year with the events being held in a b

Dude, you just don't get it. Again, the NFL is worth probably 20-30 times what the UFC is. The players will be far better paid.

Also, NFL players don't have the chance to get paid multiple times a year for multiple performances. Fighters do, if they fight mor

ChippewaBJJ - The problem with your baseball analogy is that you're again comparing a sport worth vastly more than the UFC. The LA Dodgers combined with the Boston Red Sox are worth more than the entire UFC company. You just can't possibly compare salaries with organizations who operate at such different levels.

Also, the UFC-FOX $90 million deal is over 7-8 years. So they're only receiving $10 million a year from Fox. To put that in perspective, the Houston Texans just signed a deal to pay J.J. Watt $15 million a year for the next six years. Despite DFW trying to sound like a big shot... Fox is paying the UFC per year less than what Watt will make for four months of work this season. There's yet another area where you people with no concept of finance hear a big number and all the sudden start spouting off about how much 'cash' the UFC 'has' in the bank. It's just not true, period.

Strikeforce's salaries aren't a great talking point either, because their fighter pay sunk the organization. That 'product' you were so eager to see clearly wasn't worth what they were shelling out to the fighters, and they were bankrupt as a result of it.

By your analogy, GM should be paying its assembly line workers $250k a year, right? After all, they're the ones who are making the actual 'product' you buy, correct?

The 'product' of the UFC is NOT just the fights. It's the whole event itself. While you might be just as happy to have great fights and fighter paid a million dollars a year with the events being held in a b
Stopped reading after you said the FOX deal was 90 million over 7 years... It's a 7 year deal worth 90 million per year, not total. You seem pretty smart, look into the numbers before you speculate how profitable a company is or isn't... Phone Post 3.0

Since you clearly just pull numbers out of your ass, I'll leave you with some time to do a little research. Have a good night. Phone Post 3.0

ChippewaBJJ - Dude, you just don't get it. Again, the NFL is worth probably 20-30 times what the UFC is. The players will be far better paid.

Also, NFL players don't have the chance to get paid multiple times a year for multiple performances. Fighters do, if they fight mor

Oh cool, they get to fight multiple times a year, neato! So an active fighter getting paid "what he's worth" only has to fight and win 53 times a year to make as much as a bench warmer in the NFL.

it's hard to believe, that after being 5-1 in the UFC, ferguson was still earning 20 to show.

ChippewaBJJ - The problem with your baseball analogy is that you're again comparing a sport worth vastly more than the UFC. The LA Dodgers combined with the Boston Red Sox are worth more than the entire UFC company. You just can't possibly compare salaries with organizations who operate at such different levels.

Ok, an MLB team is worth less than the UFC? They pay 40 players an average of 3.39 million a piece. That's probably a couple hundred times the paycheck of an average UFC fighter.

[1] Did you know the worst bench warmer on the worst Women’s NBA team makes double what the average entry-level UFC fighter does?

[2] How about this, there was a UFC event in 2013 in which, apparently, the highest guaranteed pay on the card was $30k/$30k.

[3] Did you know, a fighter received only $12,000 in disclosed pay while fighting for a title and main-eventing a Pay-Per-View, this year?

[4] The median average wage for a top 15 fighter in the UFC is just $30,500 per year.

[5] Floyd Mayweather, in the 12 months between summer 2011 and summer 2012, made approximately four times more in guaranteed salary than the entire UFC roster combined. He fought twice.
- See more at: http://www.bjpenn.com/5-shocking-facts-about-the-ufc-pay-scale/#sthash.0BbKWaVE.dpuf

Decimated - 
hendofanforlife(LMBBchamp!) - 

For anyone comparing this to baseball or the NFL, how about you tell is what players made when their pro sports had only been around 20 years. More people are going to play fantasy football this year than will watch a ufc event. My grandpa is super interested in how shitty his Browns are gonna do this year and gives zero fucks about the UFC. My pops is gonna go to every dolphins home game and guess how many UFC fights he will watch? Fucking zero. 

Anyone who doesn't like fighter pay, feel free to go start your own promotion. The UFCs minimum fighter pay is 8/8. Know what bellators is? 1/1 Know what wsof's is? 500/500.

The UFC is paying bottom tier guys 1600% more than wsof. How many of you bitching on here have taken them to task for fighter pay? 

Real easy to give away other people's money isn't it? Of course fighters are getting what they're worth.

stop making so much sense. Actually those are iron facts you got there.  I've made the argument before that nearly every one of us deserves at least $100k a year for doing whatever job we do.  For putting up with bullshit!  For having to come in early! Stay late!  Make money for the man!

Actually, the money we get is largely a function of how much wealth our clients bring in, which is determined by how many clients we have, and how much they make.

UFC has a few customers compared to the big league sports, as you said.  Very true!  As unfair as it is, a NFL benchwarmer makes mad loot compared to our best guys, because the NFL has more clients (fans, and sponsors).  Sure our guys  girls should make bigdick money every fight. But the money, as you proved, does not exist in sufficient amounts. 

What the fuck are you talking about? How has he "proved" (in your words) that the money does not exist in sufficient amounts, unless you accept "because he said so" as proof.

Decimated -
Captfireeyes - 
Decimated -
Captfireeyes -
Jimmy Wrassler -
time traveling 12er - Someone in another thread said that Soto's contract was changed before the fight and he was given Barao's show money.

They said his contract was changed, was originally something smaller and upped to 20/20 for the title fight

20k to show for a title fight is a joke. Dana tips his waitress more than that... Phone Post 3.0
Are you number for Joe Rogan interview that Dana White that's more in Las Vegas casinos and what he pays these busters. Fucken unfair man. Pay them more! Phone Post 3.0
I wild each it, lol that meets their naked? Phone Post 3.0

Shaddap.  I was using the voice-to-text to post that, right before i went to see a movie.  I didn't review what turned out  to be word salad..  lol

"I remember a JR interview that DFW drops more in LV casinos than what he pays these busters..."

All good mate, I've always wanted to pull out the "I wild each it" on somebody. Good point though! Phone Post 3.0

Captfireeyes - 
ChippewaBJJ - The problem with your baseball analogy is that you're again comparing a sport worth vastly more than the UFC. The LA Dodgers combined with the Boston Red Sox are worth more than the entire UFC company. You just can't possibly compare salaries with organizations who operate at such different levels.

Stopped reading after you said the FOX deal was 90 million over 7 years... It's a 7 year deal worth 90 million per year, not total. You seem pretty smart, look into the numbers before you speculate how profitable a company is or isn't... Phone Post 3.0

You're right, my mistake. I read the article too quickly. Doesn't change the fact that it's chump change.

The SEC college football association singed a deal with ESPN worth $2.5 BILLION over ten years, and that's not even a professional sport. When the UFC counts its money in millions and other sports teams count it in billions, you can't possibly compare them.

ChippewaBJJ -
Captfireeyes - 

You're right, my mistake. I read the article too quickly. Doesn't change the fact that it's chump change.

The SEC college football association singed a deal with ESPN worth $2.5 BILLION over ten years, and that's not even a professional sport. When the UFC counts its money in millions and other sports teams count it in billions, you can't possibly compare them.

Really?

So the sports that are worth billions pay their athletes hundreds of millions, and the sports that's worth hundreds of millions pays their athletes 20k for title fights headlining a $60 PPV? Just stop dude, you're not going anywhere with this, even if you think you are... Phone Post 3.0

youarewhatiswrong - 
ChippewaBJJ - Dude, you just don't get it. Again, the NFL is worth probably 20-30 times what the UFC is. The players will be far better paid.

Oh cool, they get to fight multiple times a year, neato! So an active fighter getting paid "what he's worth" only has to fight and win 53 times a year to make as much as a bench warmer in the NFL.

Each NFL team plays 16 games a year minimum. 32 teams x 16 games = 512 'events' per year not including the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Each ones of those games, given a few exceptions, SELLS OUT a stadium of 50-70,000 people (NFL average attendance is 63,000 fans). Average NFL ticket price, depending on the team, ranges from $110 (Cleveland Browns) to $292 (NY Giants). This makes the average NFL 'gate' worth between $6.93 million and $18.3 million. So, a NY Giants home game with 63,000 fans has a gate, on the average, worth more than TEN UFC 177's. Still think the UFC is big time enough to pay these guys what NFL benchwarmers make?

Consider that more people will attend the next University of Michigan home game than will have purchased UFC 177, probably by an extremely wide margin.

You think the product is 'oversaturated' and 'watered down' now? Just imagine what it would be like to have 512 UFC evens per year and then ask attendees to pay $110-292 per ticket to attend. Wouldn't happen and you know it. Even WNBA games pull more fans in attendance than most UFC events, so that's not a comparable reference point either. Hell, the National Lacrosse Association boasts an average fan attendance of 9,700 per game. UFC 177 had 11,100 in attendance. LOL.

The UFC is the tiniest of the tiny when it comes to professional sports. It's barely a whiff of fumes in the tailpipe of the NFL, so any comparison to even a bench player for an NFL team is just beyond stupid. It shows just how little you grasp of the size of these organizations, and business in general, by comparing them to the UFC. Just because Dana White makes you think he's big time doesn't make it so.

By the way, Magic Johnson recently paid around $700 million for the LA Sparks WNBA team. Apparently more people care about women's basketball than MMA, regardless of what you believe with your head in the sand.

Comparing to other sports won't work. The best comparison is boxing, and that had to have legislation to stop promoters fucking fighters in the ass.

If the UFC are paying their fighters a fair amount of the revenue from their events then they would have no problem with legislation which protects that. Now what that fair amount is, I don't know, there are a lot of revenue streams which would need to be accounted for and some sort of formula for distribution produced.

Earlier people were saying you can't just take gate + half of pvp sales and call it profit and I wasn't. I was saying reported fighter pay didn't even match the reported gate which Dana White said on the broadcast. After which a hypothetical number for buys, using the lowest guesstimate people had been offering, gave us an idea of the kinds of money they could expect to receive from that event alone. Does anyone really believe that the UFC's expenses for UFC 177 was over 1.6mil? I find that hard to believe, but I'd be happy for anyone to prove me wrong.

ChippewaBJJ - 
Captfireeyes - 

What it changes is the notion that you read things carefully before arguing about them. It seems you don't.