UFC 83 should start a new trend: Lutter Starnes

Both Lutter and Starnes were done before the end of their fights...

but since fighters, by tradition, aren't allowed to just "quit" they have to find another means...

In Lutter's case he was looking to be KO'ed and Starnes just ran for it.

It would be good to let fighters just "resign" from the fight if they feel overmatched or they've just had enough without shame. Would save everyone some time and boredom.

When Lutter fought Jorge Rivera, before they were in the UFC, Lutter got gasses and then just left his chin out there to be KO'ed. I watched the fight several times and couldn't believe he'd just leave himself open like that...

...but then I saw him do the same thing against Franklin last night when he got gasses.

Too bad he can't just say, "that's it" without it being a bad thing.

Chess masters sometimes retire after just a few moves. No one calls them a pussy...

Yeah, maybe they can do something like 'tap out' or have their corner throw a towel in to signal the end.

yeah, we know about tap outs and towel throwing...

I'm talking about making it honorable for a fighter to just resign from a fight without a KO or submission...

...he just feels overmatched, like with Starnes, and just saves everyone the time of watching their boring performance.

tapping out is an honorable way to resign from the fight.

yeah, but when has anyone tapped without being submitted?

I was extremely disappointed with both of these guys.

Why was Starnes fighting like a girl.

And where did Lutter's gas tank go?? Ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm just talking about saving time...

when the hometown Canadians start chanting "boooooring booooring," Starnes should have known it was time to either fight or quit, not keep just running.

Hell, he kept on running when Quarry came at him with the retarded robot arm attack... who runs from that????

"It would be good to let fighters just "resign" from the fight if they feel overmatched or they've just had enough without shame. Would save everyone some time and boredom."

A termination from the UFC should come with each resignation. The ref could hand it out in the cage right after he raised the hand of the winner.

Buffer: "And for our loser, referee Yves Lavigne presents Mr. Lutter's termination notice."

"A termination from the UFC should come with each resignation."

exactly the mentality that KEEPS the boring fights alive. 

I don't see a problem with a fighter taking a 10% fine for resignation.

Force them to fight a "Loser leaves town" bout at the next UFC, and bill it as such.

regarding starnes...

yellow card, anyone?

each yellow card takes 10 percent of your purse

that should motivate some people to push the pace

"Force them to fight a "Loser leaves town" bout at the next UFC, and bill it as such."

Nice! at least that would take a boring situation and make it into a potentially entertaining one. 

pigpen - 

regarding starnes...

yellow card, anyone?

each yellow card takes 10 percent of your purse

that should motivate some people to push the pace

Yup....That was a great thing they did in Pride.

Yellow cards are a good way to keep guys fighting.

McCarthy resgined from his fight

well, it's listed as TKO due to arm injury.

sort of like what happened to Frank Shamrock, I suspect, vs. Cung Le

lutter vs lister might b cool

If it wasn't the weight cutting, I don't know why Lutter was gassed in the 2nd round, other than maybe having the wind knocked out of him repeatedly?

the guy is an athlete, he shouldn't just gas in less than 10 minutes.

Charles McCarthy verbally quit. It was in between rounds, but he verbally tapped out. I wouldn't be surprised of Charles broke his arm while taking all of that punishment. That was a schoolyard style beatdown that Michael dished out.