UFC Fight Night: Holm v. Bueno Silva, Jack Della Maddalena v. Hafez thread

Just sat down on the couch and fired up fight night and ffwd. It went straight to the maddalena fight.

Impressive performance by the last minute replacement. But jdm took it even tho rooting for other guy after round 1. Damage has to always be the number one factor. If these judges think a round is really close they need to ask themselves the question

If I were in the fight which one would I rather be that round. Jdm landed huge body shots and punished him round 2. One pot i think he had thin stunned where it looked like his eyes went blurry. That always has to be more important winning around versus taking a guy down and holding him 3 minutes and never doing significant damage on the ground.

I think pride has the judging criteria correct and we would get rid of these decisions where one guy controls 10 minutes of the fight with litttle damage and the other guy lights him up those other minutes

2 Likes

Jack should’ve won it in the 2nd and still could’ve done it in the 3rd. He’s a tough guy but he needs to fight smarter and tighten his striking game up a bit. He could’ve easily lost that decision.

3 Likes

It makes a difference when he’s also landing significant shots on the feet. He wasn’t winning on the feet vs Jack, but he definitely landed meaningful shots that showed effect on him.

Mostly in round 1. Round 2 Jack was tuning him up for the first half of the round, then Hafez got the takedown and kinda just lay and prayed the rest of the round.

5 Likes

That was a nasty dislocation

I don’t know if there’s anything harder to do than not quit when you’re absolutely red lining during a fight and totally exhausted. Hats off to Hafez for having absolutely inhuman fortitude.

2 Likes

JDM stock dropped big time.

1 Like

Yeah, Hafez actually impressed me most in round 3. When they were along the cage and Jack was holding his wrist and teeing off with the other hand, he looked completely exhausted and done. He could have just sat down and called it a night, nobody would have faulted him. But he didnt, he dug deep, got a takedown and survived the rest of the fight.

2 Likes

Well said. He obviously had great training and more impressively, he was ready to do or die trying. That’s something a lot of guys talk about but he clearly meant it. That’s not a skill. That’s a mental strength that is truly rare, even among elite fighters (UFC level).