UFC is jumping the gun on Stipe/Ngannou

A thread about wanting to wait longer for a HW title fight…

World gone mad.

GOAT St. Pierre - I wanted Volkov vs. Ngannou in Russia interim title. But I'm very excited to see Stipe vs. Francis later this month. They got a top tier #1 contender and Miocic is ready to defend.

The current champ is actively defending and not injured, why would it be for an interim title?

Labrador - 
GOAT St. Pierre - I wanted Volkov vs. Ngannou in Russia interim title. But I'm very excited to see Stipe vs. Francis later this month. They got a top tier #1 contender and Miocic is ready to defend.

The current champ is actively defending and not injured, why would it be for an interim title?

Stay away from interim titles when you can imo.

They underpromoted the fuck out of this event.

should def make a big deal out of it and do a tour.  talk shows. the whole 9

Agree it would be nice to buildup a fight over time, but if one of the fighters gets upset it kills a big ppv. Plus i think the UFC is in cash now mode, a 3 billion investment need to show returns.

jpm995 - 

Agree it would be nice to buildup a fight over time, but if one of the fighters gets upset it kills a big ppv. Plus i think the UFC is in cash now mode, a 3 billion investment need to show returns.

could be a huge build up and then a 1 minute ko. that would suck also.

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX -
jpm995 - 

Like Cain vs JDS one? Having no other fight was probably the dumbest thing the ufc ever did. Thet screwed FOX bad they gave them crappy cards for years.

Kind of sad that Stipe isn’t going to be the first HW champ to successfully defend his title three times.

The UFC is horrible at promotion. Never understood people saying the UFC nd especially Dana White are great promoters. The amount of “misses” they make promotion wise is shocking.

GOAT St. Pierre - Miocic vs. Ngannou now is the obvious move and there is nothing wrong with that it's the correct decision to make.

Just saying there were other opportunities and approaches available if thinking outside the box and a discussion forum is an ideal place to bring them up. I am really looking forward to Francis and Stipe fighting.

It is also about looking at Volkov who speaks English well, unbeaten in the UFC, 29-6 with 19 knockouts, the only guy to beat 16-1 Blagoy Ivanov having just finished Struve and saying he is also worthy of the chance to be number one contender. truth be told I only came up with the idea as a way to talk about Volkov and insert him into the discussion.

Didn’t he fight minakov back when he was the bellator champ and get whipped? Why not campaign for Minakov in the UFC, if we want to see the best.

They're doing this in the hope that Stipe will get knocked out. UFC wants Ngannou as champ because he's easier to promote than Stipe who does barely any promotion. 

IronWill - 
GOAT St. Pierre - Miocic vs. Ngannou now is the obvious move and there is nothing wrong with that it's the correct decision to make.
	Just saying there were other opportunities and approaches available if thinking outside the box and a discussion forum is an ideal place to bring them up. I am really looking forward to Francis and Stipe fighting.

It is also about looking at Volkov who speaks English well, unbeaten in the UFC, 29-6 with 19 knockouts, the only guy to beat 16-1 Blagoy Ivanov having just finished Struve and saying he is also worthy of the chance to be number one contender. truth be told I only came up with the idea as a way to talk about Volkov and insert him into the discussion.</span></blockquote>
<p>
	<span class="User-342543" id="userPost61584530">Didn&rsquo;t he fight minakov back when he was the bellator champ and get whipped? Why not campaign for Minakov in the UFC, if we want to see the best.</span></p>

Volkov has improved through the years from when he fought Minakov 4.2 years ago and he's only 29, young for a Heavyweight. Just thought it'd be interesting to see how Francis dealt with someone taller than him that has shown the type of craft to potentially push the fight into later rounds.

just different versions of Volkov, he has added muscle/power and the experience of losing fights he should have won.

Look at the difference in build. That win by Minakov is irrelevant today.

Minakov has contractual issues and is signed to Bellator. I'd love to see him signed, but how is that even possible? He would have to finish out his Bellator deal or something.

UFC blew it on this one. Overeem vs Ngannou should have been on FOX main event on their recent card. They should have really pushed that one and Stipe should have hosted the show with Cormier and the rest of the team. Once Ngannou won, he should have called out Stipe and Stipe should have addressed it from his broadcast position. Every last fan watching would have been set up to pick up on promotion going forward and leading up to the championship. There should have been a promotional tour as Ngannou closes in on becoming the frightening champion UFC so badly desires or as Stipe solidifies himself as an all time great. Either way UFC wins because they’ve created both fighters into bigger attractions then they already were.

The fight is a week and a half away and no buzz for it what so ever. Little if any promotion for it. I’m going to adjust my prediction for PPV buys. It does 500k at the most.

GOAT St. Pierre -
IronWill - 

It is also about looking at Volkov who speaks English well, unbeaten in the UFC, 29-6 with 19 knockouts, the only guy to beat 16-1 Blagoy Ivanov having just finished Struve and saying he is also worthy of the chance to be number one contender. truth be told I only came up with the idea as a way to talk about Volkov and insert him into the discussion.</span></blockquote>
<p>
	<span class="User-342543" id="userPost61584530">Didn&rsquo;t he fight minakov back when he was the bellator champ and get whipped? Why not campaign for Minakov in the UFC, if we want to see the best.</span></p>

Volkov has improved through the years from when he fought Minakov 4.2 years ago and he's only 29, young for a Heavyweight. Just thought it'd be interesting to see how Francis dealt with someone taller than him that has shown the type of craft to potentially push the fight into later rounds.

just different versions of Volkov, he has added muscle/power and the experience of losing fights he should have won.

Look at the difference in build. That win by Minakov is irrelevant today.

Minakov has contractual issues and is signed to Bellator. I'd love to see him signed, but how is that even possible? He would have to finish out his Bellator deal or something.

I don’t know contract specifics but he hasn’t fought in Bellator for years. I feel like someone doing enough research to pull these pictures would know that. Remember Eddie was being held under contract for years too, difference being he wasn’t staying active in different (unregulated?) organisations. Looks like he’ll never fight in Bellator again. Unless he gets big money from ACB as soon as he is free and clear, the UFC is the next logical step.

I agree Volkov is a different fighter but to say a decisive loss is irrelevant is hyperbole at best. I like Volkov and think he is a good solid fighter. Especially at his age and in his weight class. I just don’t think he’ll ever be a champion.

I believe the UFC are not 100% sure about Francis ofcourse they have the belief that this guy could be a massive star but if they promoted the fuck out of this fight and he gets smashed by Stipe the UFC will look dumb again. Maybe their trying to do this one a biy under the radar and if he wins the belt then world tours will follow.

SinCityHustler - UFC blew it on this one. Overeem vs Ngannou should have been on FOX main event on their recent card. They should have really pushed that one and Stipe should have hosted the show with Cormier and the rest of the team. Once Ngannou won, he should have called out Stipe and Stipe should have addressed it from his broadcast position. Every last fan watching would have been set up to pick up on promotion going forward and leading up to the championship. There should have been a promotional tour as Ngannou closes in on becoming the frightening champion UFC so badly desires or as Stipe solidifies himself as an all time great. Either way UFC wins because they've created both fighters into bigger attractions then they already were.

The fight is a week and a half away and no buzz for it what so ever. Little if any promotion for it. I’m going to adjust my prediction for PPV buys. It does 500k at the most.

Exactly this VU bro

UFC mismanaging their talent, wow, imagine that........

jpm995 - 
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX -
jpm995 - 

Like Cain vs JDS one? Having no other fight was probably the dumbest thing the ufc ever did. Thet screwed FOX bad they gave them crappy cards for years.

yep. shoulda had 4 solid fights w/fighters who bring it everytime. AND told them FOTN, Sub/Ko of the night each bring in a million bucks. those already ass kickin fighters woulda fought there asses off.

It does feel like Stipe is Aldo and Ngannou is Conor. Not just in the fight-game dynamic, but the way the UFC seemed to have a hard time promoting Stipe and yet, has been all over Ngannou. The same rags-to-riches story, living and training at the UFC performance center, etc…

knockoutfighter - 
ThatsHowIRoll -

Youd cry if they milked it, now you cry because they are making an epic match up too quick.

I can't argue that, I was actually going to post for My sake I'm blessed and grateful!  But as a fan of the UFC (I kind of want to see it stick around) it seems like a rushed move without any planning or marketing.  All I've heard is Ngannou was homeless in France, holds the record for the $1 punching machine, and lived at the UFC PI.  They haven't done anything to push him... and yet their most dominant champ no one even knows about due to lack of promotion!  When you KO Werdum, Overeem, and JDS all in the first round you would think people know your name?  Nope!  Not Stipe!  

As a fan I really want Stipe and Ngannou to get the big PPV bucks too!  They won't for this fight.  I'm guessing with D.C. It doesn't 500k maximum? 

I think if you survey MMA fans, everyone is pumped to see this match-up. It’s all about milking the right fight. This is the first fight in the HW division in years that has an EPIC feel to it. Like when worlds collide type of feel.

This was the match-up to get behind and milk the HWY crown, baddest man on the planet-schtick to the max, imo.

But it’s simply just another fight on the calendar.