UFC is jumping the gun on Stipe/Ngannou

A company that's starving for star power just got its biggest star barely 1 month ago and in less than 2 weeks we will either lose the current and most dominant champ Stipe Miocic, or we will lose the most interesting contender in a long long time and future superstar Francis Ngannou.

Why didn't the UFC milk Ngannou more? Why not do a 3 month press tour if you really want him as a superstar?   

Im really excited for this fight (last time I was this excited for a title fight was undefeated Lyoto vs undefeated Rashad) and this fight won't let down.  I'm surprised they didn't give Ngannou another fight to build his name and do this heavyweight championship fight during International Fight Week in July in Las Vegas?  

Sincity Hustler was kind of saying the same thing. I agree.

garrote - Sincity Hustler was kind of saying the same thing. I agree.

Damn I didn't see his thread, I'll search for it.

I can't type 3 fucking words without this app sending me to the App Store or some random virus site singing me a song!  WTF this app is horrible now Kirik!!!! 

Ok I saw his thread and it's way better than mine: here is what he said:

sincityhustler:

Terrible. More UFC dropping the ball here. 

Do they just not know how to properly promote at UFC? 

Didn’t Dana White learn anything from Floyd and the boxing guys? 

Is he just not capable given his lack of formal education? 

All the resources this guy has and he’s never been able to break 1.7M PPV’s and that’s despite nearly 200 tries, and having the guy who just did 4.2 M in boxing (even though boxing is dead). 

This is potentially a mega event. You have a terribly promoted heavyweight champ (Dana doing his usual subpar job as promoter) and an unknown foreigner who has star written all over him, and they rush him to a title fight in 6 weeks. Clearly they want to catch a poorly prepared Stipe and have Ngannou take the belt from him, but it’s way too short sighted. Very short sighted even for them. Do they just not have any imagination over there? No creativity? They can’t build any compelling aspect of a rivalry or of any sort of story into these guys before rushing the thing? 

It’s just one more example of how lousy White is at his job. This will do 700k or so buys and no one will know who Ngannou is. White told us he did ZERO promotion for Nunes when she fought Ronda, because by his logic, if Nunes beat his golden goose, she was going to be a star. Her last PPV is said to have down 100 k PPV sales. It’s time to can this dope. He just is not competent at his job. 

What stars has Dana White developed? 

Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture and Chuck Lidell? Don’t forget he was working under Fertitta’s model back then. Was that even Dana’s doing? GSP? Lets give him credit for all of those. 

Who since then? Conor created himself, Ronda was already a star, that’s why ("women will never fight in the UFC") he did an about face. Chael? Brock was a hired gun with a giant following that they brought in. 

This fight should be in February at the earliest, May is better. There should be a media tour for it. There should be a known heavyweight champ (Who the hell is Stipe?) and a terrifying contender on the rise (has anyone seen or heard of Ngannou?). Ask any non hardcore fan who Stipe or Ngannou are. No one will have any idea. 

They’re going to fumble this thing like they do with most. Some on this very site will be hard headed and scream from the rafters that Dana White is the greatest promoter in all of combat sports. I’ve actually seen some dopes write that here over and over. What a waste this is. Nothing more than a cash grab and hope that Stipe loses.

Youd cry if they milked it, now you cry because they are making an epic match up too quick.

United Yorkie Rescue - Because Stipe needs a fight like yesterday and there are really no other contenders.

He said on JRE he wasn't in a rush to fight.  Dude is a firefighter and probably would enjoy time off.  He fights more than any other recent champ...?

I wanted Volkov vs. Ngannou in Russia interim title. But I’m very excited to see Stipe vs. Francis later this month. They got a top tier #1 contender and Miocic is ready to defend.

ThatsHowIRoll -

Youd cry if they milked it, now you cry because they are making an epic match up too quick.

I can't argue that, I was actually going to post for My sake I'm blessed and grateful!  But as a fan of the UFC (I kind of want to see it stick around) it seems like a rushed move without any planning or marketing.  All I've heard is Ngannou was homeless in France, holds the record for the $1 punching machine, and lived at the UFC PI.  They haven't done anything to push him... and yet their most dominant champ no one even knows about due to lack of promotion!  When you KO Werdum, Overeem, and JDS all in the first round you would think people know your name?  Nope!  Not Stipe!  

As a fan I really want Stipe and Ngannou to get the big PPV bucks too!  They won't for this fight.  I'm guessing with D.C. It doesn't 500k maximum? 

With Francis less is more.

It’s a fight people want to see. 

Im really confused by how the UFC currently promotes fighters 

4 steps and they fuck em all up

1.  Underpay fighters

2.  Hope they develop a social media presence on their own

3.  ???

4.  Profit

GOAT St. Pierre - I wanted Volkov vs. Ngannou in Russia interim title. But I'm very excited to see Stipe vs. Francis later this month. They got a top tier #1 contender and Miocic is ready to defend.

So you have an injury free champion that’s not fought in 8 months and you want to see an interim championship fight. Huh. 

Bigtrain2681 - 
GOAT St. Pierre - I wanted Volkov vs. Ngannou in Russia interim title. But I'm very excited to see Stipe vs. Francis later this month. They got a top tier #1 contender and Miocic is ready to defend.

So you have an injury free champion that’s not fought in 8 months and you want to see an interim championship fight. Huh. 

Correct. For a greater build. It would be controversial sure, controversy sells. I think Volkov could test Ngannou in a way that would have shown us more of his overall skillset and conditioning.

Werdum vs Miocic 2 in the meantime, some unfinished business and questions to be answered there.

I am not opposed at all to Stipe and Francis fighting now it is very exciting. But I wonder if Francis could have used more seasoning and exposure.

Miocic vs. Ngannou now is the obvious move and there is nothing wrong with that it’s the correct decision to make.

Just saying there were other opportunities and approaches available if thinking outside the box and a discussion forum is an ideal place to bring them up. I am really looking forward to Francis and Stipe fighting.

It is also about looking at Volkov who speaks English well, unbeaten in the UFC, 29-6 with 19 knockouts, the only guy to beat 16-1 Blagoy Ivanov having just finished Struve and saying he is also worthy of the chance to be number one contender. truth be told I only came up with the idea as a way to talk about Volkov and insert him into the discussion.

GOAT St. Pierre -
Bigtrain2681 - 

Correct. For a greater build. It would be controversial sure, controversy sells. I think Volkov could test Ngannou in a way that would have shown us more of his overall skillset and conditioning.

Werdum vs Miocic 2 in the meantime, some unfinished business and questions to be answered there.

I am not opposed at all to Stipe and Francis fighting now it is very exciting. But I wonder if Francis could have used more seasoning and exposure.

Fair play. I don’t particularly agree but can see your logic. 

thetouchofdeath - With Francis less is more.

I agree!! 

GOAT St. Pierre - Miocic vs. Ngannou now is the obvious move and there is nothing wrong with that it's the correct decision to make.

Just saying there were other opportunities and approaches available if thinking outside the box and a discussion forum is an ideal place to bring them up. I am really looking forward to Francis and Stipe fighting.

It is also about looking at Volkov who speaks English well, unbeaten in the UFC, 29-6 with 19 knockouts, the only guy to beat 16-1 Blagoy Ivanov having just finished Struve and saying he is also worthy of the chance to be number one contender. truth be told I only came up with the idea as a way to talk about Volkov and insert him into the discussion.

No one knows Volcan and it’s sad cause I follow the sport and barely know him.  Ufc should have done a prime time or special countdowns like they do for Fox shows!

knockoutfighter -

Ok I saw his thread and it's way better than mine: here is what he said:

sincityhustler:

Terrible. More UFC dropping the ball here. 

Do they just not know how to properly promote at UFC? 

Didn’t Dana White learn anything from Floyd and the boxing guys? 

Is he just not capable given his lack of formal education? 

All the resources this guy has and he’s never been able to break 1.7M PPV’s and that’s despite nearly 200 tries, and having the guy who just did 4.2 M in boxing (even though boxing is dead). 

This is potentially a mega event. You have a terribly promoted heavyweight champ (Dana doing his usual subpar job as promoter) and an unknown foreigner who has star written all over him, and they rush him to a title fight in 6 weeks. Clearly they want to catch a poorly prepared Stipe and have Ngannou take the belt from him, but it’s way too short sighted. Very short sighted even for them. Do they just not have any imagination over there? No creativity? They can’t build any compelling aspect of a rivalry or of any sort of story into these guys before rushing the thing? 

It’s just one more example of how lousy White is at his job. This will do 700k or so buys and no one will know who Ngannou is. White told us he did ZERO promotion for Nunes when she fought Ronda, because by his logic, if Nunes beat his golden goose, she was going to be a star. Her last PPV is said to have down 100 k PPV sales. It’s time to can this dope. He just is not competent at his job. 

What stars has Dana White developed? 

Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture and Chuck Lidell? Don’t forget he was working under Fertitta’s model back then. Was that even Dana’s doing? GSP? Lets give him credit for all of those. 

Who since then? Conor created himself, Ronda was already a star, that’s why ("women will never fight in the UFC") he did an about face. Chael? Brock was a hired gun with a giant following that they brought in. 

This fight should be in February at the earliest, May is better. There should be a media tour for it. There should be a known heavyweight champ (Who the hell is Stipe?) and a terrifying contender on the rise (has anyone seen or heard of Ngannou?). Ask any non hardcore fan who Stipe or Ngannou are. No one will have any idea. 

They’re going to fumble this thing like they do with most. Some on this very site will be hard headed and scream from the rafters that Dana White is the greatest promoter in all of combat sports. I’ve actually seen some dopes write that here over and over. What a waste this is. Nothing more than a cash grab and hope that Stipe loses.

How much is this Dana’s decision and how much is it WME’s higher-ups and Dana is just doing his job if that’s the decision they made? I’m not a huge Dana fan by any means, but you’ve gotta look at all of the angles here. If Lorenzo was still calling the shots it might be a different story.

After the previous year of bullshit title fights (interims, GSP, Women’s 145, etc) i am excited the #1 contender is fighting for the real belt. Is it a bit rushed? Sure but you can’t complain about getting the best fight they can possibly make.