Cowboy vs Lauzon
Kutateladze vs Ismagulov
RDA vs Fiziev
Moises vs Giagos
Tsarukyan vs Gamrot
Klose vs Ferreira
Green vs Miller

1 Like

Of course that RDA fight winner is gonna be right there for a huge fight but so is that Tsarukyan vs Gamrot winner.

Gillespie back in January speaking of Tony turning down fights against him and not needing to accept every fight the ufc offers him, as he only wants to fight people ranked above him. He’s totally discounting Dariush’s winning streak here in his complaints about moving up the ladder though, and also the fact he was brutally knocked out by Lee the fight before stopping Ferreira. Whoever his manager is needs to make him realize he has to take a fight soon or the ufc may very well remove him from the rankings

On a 0-4 skid Michael Johnson was sure to be released from the UFC if he lost tonight so I was happy to see him win. Johnson beat Ferguson back in 2012. They could do that rematch next. Why not? Both fighters are now in their mid to late 30’s and 1-4 in their last five UFC fights.

At one point Johnson fought Barboza, Dariush, Diaz, Dustin, Khabib and Gaethje back to back but because the Diaz loss setup Conor Diaz, the Khabib loss setup Khabib’s Barboza fight and then title fight vs Iaquinta and Johnson fought Gaethje in Gaethje’s UFC debut he is sort of most remembered for those losses. KOed Dustin right before Dustin went on his big LW run.

Its easy to forget Johnson beat Ferguson, Castillo,Lauzon, Tibau, Guillard, Barboza, Poirier, Lobov etc…

Johnson was removed from the fightmatrix rankings because he did not fight for over a year but he was last ranked #172 in the world earlier this year after having been ranked as high as #7 in the world after he KOed Dustin back in 2016.

3 Likes

Khabib’s win over Johnson actually set up his first interim title fight with Tony but that fight was called off due to Khabib not being able to make weight.

Also happy to see Johnson do well. Would love to see him vs Tony that’s a good call.

Likely due to inactivity

Wow that is interesting. Gregor should fight some low ranking last minute opponents and get pole vaulted into the top 5 like Islam did.

I hope Michael Johnson vs Tony Ferguson is up soon.

At least it sounds like he is not just gonna sit out for another year waiting for the right fight. He just lost one of the few remaining years of his prime for nothing.

Just his strategy…turning down someone like #11 Tsarukyan when you are only 1-1 vs the top 15…thats just not helpful. Meanwhile Tsarukyan and Gamrot just beat lower ranked guys and now they are gonna fight each other and its the winner of that who will have the buzz to get the big fight while Gillespie is just there on the sidelines. Now that Gillespie is out of the rankings…guess who is back in them? Ferreira, the guy he just beat. Look at RDA, the man won the title and has fought everyone, coming off a bigger LW win than Gillespie when he beat Felder and still took the Moicano fight after Fiziev pulled out, RDA is ranked #7 and he is about to fight #10 Fiziev, its not even one of the ten biggest fights RDA has taken in the UFC but RDA knows that fighting and winning earns him the big fights in the UFC and sometimes he even gets them off loses.

2 Likes

RDA has been in there with Cowboy, Khabib, Bendo, Nate, Pettis, Alvarez, Tony, Lawler, Covington, Usman, Edwards etc… when they were all highly ranked and he has had over 30 UFC fights and won the title at LW and competed for the int. title at WW and he still fought a virtual unknown fighter in his last fight and is fighting down in the rankings again vs Fizev because he knows he is 37 and the clock is ticking and has to take whatever fights he can and win like Charles Oliveira just did to get to that title shot.

1 Like

The UFC doesn’t have a rule that guys get removed after X amount of inactivity. They remove guys when they’re annoyed that they keep turning down fights to send a message. Based on his post, he doesn’t appear to be hearing it.

As for his complaints about guys turning down fights…Ferguson got a fight with Chandler, which is a much bigger fight…and if you’re not willing to fight guys behind you in the rankings, why should someone above you be willing to fight you? He could have fought 4 fucking times by now if he just said yes every once in a while.

1 Like

Riddell vs Turner added, July 2nd with the Miller Green fight.

Upcoming LW fights:

Cowboy vs Lauzon
Kutateladze vs Ismagulov
RDA vs Fiziev
Moises vs Giagos
Tsarukyan vs Gamrot
Klose vs Ferreira
Green vs Miller
Riddell vs Turner

2 Likes

LW is unbelievably deep and the most exciting division, maybe the best division in all of combat sports of all time right now.

Riddell, Tsarukian, Fiziev, Chandler, Poirier, Gaethje, Islam, Oliveira, RDA, Dariush, Gamrot, Kutateladze

I’m sure I’m missing a few, but I can literally see any of them being champ over the next 3-5 years.

Impossible not to be a fan of RDA. Yes he’s taking advantage of fighting while he still can at that level…but there’s also that old school mentality. Down to fight whoever and whenever. Miss the days when most fighters were on that wave length

That’s true…Joanna was removed after like 19 months of inactivity, not 12. Her division is a lot shallower than the LW division though, and she’s earned her place a lot more than Gregor has. But bottom line is you’re right and I think this is similar to what they did with Leon. Removing from rankings in an attempt to remove any bargaining power and force them to take a fight. Gregor’s not hearing it yet but the division is too deep, they’ll have no problem moving on from a former top ten guy on a one fight winning streak. Shame really though, he’s a fun guy to watch fight and makes for some interesting match ups

1 Like

To me, Charles vs Makhachev, 5 rounds for the title is the best MMA fight that can be made in 2022. I want to see it more than any other fight in the UFC or MMA in general. I’ve wanted to see it for several years but now more than ever of course. Want to see it way more than Jones vs Ngannou or anything like that.

1 Like

Agreed. There’s no other fight that interests me more currently

The only matchups that compare would be Khamzat vs Colby/Usman

1 Like

Makhachev needs a relevant ranked win first.

A short notice win over Bobby Green just doesn’t cut it.

Not his fault the other guy could not show up for the #1 contenders fight like he was supposed to.

When wrestlers show up to compete at the worlds the guys who show up get to compete to see who is gonna be the world champion. You don’t blame them because other guys were injured and did not show up.

Islam showed up 4x in 11 months and won 4x. Not his fault RDA and Dariush could not show up and not his fault Chandler and Tony turned down the fight.

Islam shows up at the worlds and so does Charles. Let them meet in the finals.

Half the UG can’t handle that Khabib and Islam are 24-1 in the UFC while their favorite fighters Chandler and Gaethje are 8-6 but I’m a fan of all four fighters in the cage so I can handle it.

3 Likes

Probably true.

I’m not a fan of either Chandler or Gaethje, though. Makhachev vs. Dariush is still the fight to make.