UFC LW title picture

You can say making weight has never been an issue for Nate but he went up to WW before and lost to the real WWs and that is the same thing that happened to him up there this time. He is 0-4 vs true WWs, those are the facts. Weight cutting is easy because its a science huh, ok go say that to someone during a tough cut and get their opinion on the issue.

36 might not be old for a fighter but elite LWs primes tend to be between the ages of 26-33. Years and years of data back that up. Its not speculation.

Nate is a warrior and I agree that nobody at LW will make light work of him. I just donā€™t agree with you that the LW division is Nateā€™s for the taking. Donā€™t see him picking Dustin apart with ease and he wonā€™t outclass Charles. Charles is a hungry and active fighter. Diaz took three years off after he made his Conor money and he took another year off after Masvidal took it to him. At 36 and after not making the weight cut to his best class in over five yearsā€¦ thats just not the guy who is gonna all of a sudden dominate a division. Diaz fans sure are optimists though, Iā€™ll give ya that.

Gaethje would beat the absolute dog shit out of Nate, and Iā€™m a Nate fan who thinks heā€™s an underrated LW.

2 Likes

Yeah Nates been so dominant there.

1 Like

He needs a legit top 10 guy (Islam).

1 Like

Light work? Certainly notā€¦but Leon was making it look easy until the last 60 seconds of the fight. Nobody is going to run Nate over and put him away easily, but I could see half the top 15 beating Nate 30-27 or 50-45 in a fight thatā€™s a lot more fun than the cards would indicate.

RDA is ranked 7th, and he made Nate look like shit when they fought. Iā€™ve seen nothing from either guy that makes me think a rematch is any different.

3 Likes

Makhachev vs Moises is a pretty big fight in the division and main event this weekend. Stephens vs Gamrot also on the card.

Other notable upcoming LW fights:

Madsen vs Guida on 8/21.
Pimblett vs Vendramini on 9/4.
Miller vs Motta on 9/18.
Ferreira vs Dawson on 10/2.

Ali said they want RDA or Tony next for Makhachev, they clearly know Islam even on an eight fight win streak will have to wait for Poirier vs Charles and the winner of that vs the Gaethje Chandler winner to play out. So his earliest title fight could not come until next summer.

I think UFC and Dominance felt that while Khabib was around there was no point in having Makhachev fighting and beating anyone UFC wanted to build for a title fight because if Makhachev beats say Gaethjeā€¦ there goes Gaethjeā€™s short term marketability as a contender and Makhachev could not take his place and challenge for the title with Khabib holding it. UFC would not want to risk Makhachev beating a Tony or Dustin and then not having a contender for Khabib to fight. Like with Charles, UFC has kept Makhachev active until the timing is right for him to be in t he big fights.

Ali manages Gaethje, Makhachev and Dariush so none of those guys will fight each other unless its for the title most likely so thats a good clue Makhachev vs Dariush wonā€™t happen anytime soon.

Iā€™m sure it will be Islam vs RDA next, they tried to book it once already but injury happened. After losing three fights, I feel Tonyā€™s team might want to see him take a more winnable than Makhachev. Tony has nothing for him at this point.

Iā€™ve been impressed with Moises. I think he can beat Makhachev and am excited for that fight, although itā€™s a bit of a weak main event.

Madsen is an animal but heā€™s already 37 they have waited way too long with this guy

1 Like

I put a small bet on Moises. 5 to 1 I think he is way better than that

Tony vs Dan Hooker would be super fun. Tony vs RDA rematch could be fun too. Letā€™s be real thoughā€¦Tony is 37, and has looked bad in 3 straight lossesā€¦all top guys, but itā€™s still 3 straight losses. His previous wins were Cowboy and Pettis, both of whom clearly lost a step, and both were putting on great performances against Tony (meaning competitive and fun, not saying they were winning) prior to it getting stopped in between rounds due to their faces being hamburger.

Iā€™m really frustrated with how theyā€™ve handled Gaethje. He said after the Khabib fight heā€™d be ready to go in 12 weeks against anyone, and here we are 9 months later and heā€™s not booked. Heā€™s the most fun guy to watch in the division and should be booked.

Either way, Iā€™ve said it on other threads, Poirier isnā€™t fighting Charles under his current contract (he said the offer was 1/3 of the show money he was offered for Conor and no PPV points) and heā€™s sat on the sidelines before because he wasnā€™t happy with his deal, so I actually think weā€™ll get Gaethje vs Oliveira next, and if that happens we may get Dariush vs Chandler.

1 Like

Tony vs Hooker makes perfect sense for both right now. Good idea. They have to be discussing that one.

Yeah the whole Gaethje thing has been a mystery to me. I donā€™t know how much of it has been Gaethje wanting only certain fights, Gaethje dealing with undisclosed injury or UFC wanted to hold him back as replacement in the event these title fight negotiations break down. Maybe they have just wanted him to wait for Chandler and only offered him weak fights so it happened. Dana always claim they have to offer everyone three fights a year per their contract so you know he was offered something in the past year. Where Gaethje is in his career, I just donā€™t think he wanted a fight to stay busy after the Khabib loss, think he is waiting for the right fight at the right time but I have no fucking idea what has been going on.

If Nate plans to drop to 55 before he retires Iā€™d love to see Gaethje vs Nate. Timing has to be right for that one but Iā€™d still love to see it before they both retire.

Dana said he wants Chandler vs Gaethje next. Chandler said he wonā€™t be ready until the fall. Gaithje might be unhappy with money and seeing Chandler come in and get that instant title shot off one win.

The looming question on peopleā€™s minds: where does Gaethje fit into this equation?

ā€œWho knows, man,ā€ Gaethje told Full Reptile. ā€œI canā€™t talk about it a lot right nowā€”Iā€™m sure me talking about it [in the past] is the reason Iā€™m here. Who knows? Maybe I pissed someone off. I donā€™t know.

ā€œAll I know is since I was 12, 13 years old, I listened to Dana White do interviews and explain what he wanted in a fighter, and Iā€™m that motherf*cker.ā€

Gaethje, a former UFC interim and WSOF champion, has publicly expressed frustrations with Whiteā€™s handling of the lightweight title picture, most notably the push that Chandler has received since coming into the promotion from Bellator.

The Elevation Fight Team standout wants nothing more but to get back in the octagon, but he doesnā€™t seem like heā€™s going to settle for less than he feels he deserves.

ā€œIf I get disrespected, itā€™s gonna be hurtful because I really bought into what [Dana] talks about. So itā€™ll hurt, because I feel like a company man from day one. I donā€™t ever want to go anywhere else, I donā€™t want to fight anywhere else. But my principles are the most important thing to me. Weā€™ll see what happens.ā€

I remember reading a few times that Gaethje accepted fights and other guys turned them down. I think the issue has been timing, and what made sense for the UFC. They needed a title fight, and it had to be between guys that didnā€™t lose to Khabib so they could market the new champ as if he was a legit champ.

We already see it, Oliveira with the BJJ could have been a tough matchup for Khabib!!! is all the shit I was readingā€¦his hands are so good, heā€™s lethal on the ground! If Chandler won, heā€™d be saying the ā€œif we ever fought heā€™d be 29 and Chandlerā€ line he used a bunch. Thatā€™s what the UFC wanted so they booked it. I get it from a marketing standpoint, but I donā€™t like having the #1 ranked guy on the sidelines.

Conor and Dustin were fighting, so who was left? The UFC tried to book Nate vs Gaethje, but Nate wanted 170 and fought Leonā€¦so who is left? RDA was dealing with an injury and needed surgery, Ferguson already lost to the guy and was booked with Dariush, Hooker lost a couple in a row. Islam was really all that was left, and theyā€™re managed by the same team and putting the #2 guy in with Islam doesnā€™t make a ton of sense.

If Chandler isnā€™t ready, I LOVE the idea of RDA vs Gaethje, either as a 5 round co-main on a PPV, or as a free tv headliner. I hate that Gaethje isnā€™t booked.

1 Like

Gaethje vs Dariush would be fire on the feet!

But Beneil would eventually submit him I think. They should feed him RDA.

mmajunkie usually compiles a bunch of stats prior to fights and publishes them in an article.

Was just reading that article yesterday and saw that Makhachev is the least hit fighter in UFC history. Gets hit like 0.77 times per minute. I think they only include fighters with five or more fights for all their stats. He also highest the highest takedown attempt success rate in LW history with 69%. Pretty impressive stats for a guy with nine UFC fights. Will be interesting if he can continue to keep his striking defense and takedowns stats so high after he starts to face the top 8/top5 level guys in the division.

Heā€™s gotta get a top-10 opponent, if not a top-5, if he beats Moises tomorrow night.

Agree and Iā€™m confident he will. I see he is now even an 8-1 fav at some books.

I agree, heā€™ll get one. Nobody that made sense was available, and I think he gets either RDA or Chandler. Iā€™m not convinced Chandler vs Gaethje gets booked. Itā€™s been talked about for a while now with no announcement.