SURPRISE! It's just Jenelius. And it appears not a single attempted murder charge. :)
Jenelius Crew, 37
A man suspected of shooting eight people outside a San Antonio bar where he was turned away for being too drunk — and told a bouncer he was a UFC fighter — has been apprehended in Florida, police said.
Jenelius Crew, 37, was taken into custody without incident Thursday as he exited a hotel room in Miami, San Antonio police said.
Crew had been sought by police since he allegedly opened fire on June 12 outside of Rebar, a nightspot where he was denied entry because he was too intoxicated, Police Chief Williams McManus told reporters last weekend.
McManus said Crew then told a bouncer: “Don’t you know who I am? I’m a UFC fighter from California” before walking away, the San Antonio Express-News reports.
Crew later returned with a long rifle and shot eight people in the bar’s parking lot, wounding five women and three men between the ages of 23 and 41.
Two victims suffered graze wounds and declined treatment, while one person was hit in the back. All eight victims are expected to survive, the newspaper reports.
There’s no indication that Crew, who has been charged with eight counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, has ever fought for the UFC, USA Today reports.
A message seeking comment from a UFC spokesperson was not immediately returned early Friday.
UFC President Dana White, meanwhile, responded to Crew’s claim Saturday, saying he hoped the professed link wasn’t accurate, the Express-News reports.
“I hope it’s not true, but I hear that sh-t all the time,” White said at a post-fight press conference in Las Vegas. “You know how many f–king bald guys in this town walk around and say they’re me? It’s mind-boggling, you guys … It’s just crazy, so I’m hoping that that’s not the case.”
A search for Crew’s name on Tapology’s MMA fighter database also reveals no data, USA Today reports.