UFC on Versus 1 Salaries

UFC on Versus 1 salaries: Cheick Kongo ($110K), Junior Dos Santos ($70K) top earners

Main-card fighter Cheick Kongo earned an event-high $110,000 payday, and fellow heavyweight main-card winner Junior Dos Santos earned $70,000 at UFC on Versus 1.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently requested the list of salaries from the Colorado Boxing Commission and today received it from the Colorado Department of

Regulatory Agencies.

The total disclosed payroll for the March 21 event was $713,000.

Kongo, fighting in one of four scheduled fights on the UFC's first-ever Versus-televised event, beat down and forced Paul Buentello into submission. He earned $55,000 to show and $55,000 as a win bonus for the performance. Buentello earned $40,000.

Other top earners from the card included Dos Santos ($70,000), who topped Gabriel Gonzaga ($67,000), main-event loser Brandon Vera ($60,000), and preliminary-card victors Vladimir Matyushenko ($56,000) and Clay Guida ($50,000).

The full payouts included:

Jon Jones: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus)

def. Brandon Vera: $60,000

Junior Dos Santos: $70,000 ($35,000 win bonus)

def. Gabriel Gonzaga: $67,000

Cheick Kongo: $110,000 ($55,000 win bonus)

def. Paul Buentello: $40,000

Alessio Sakara: $42,000 ($21,000 win bonus)

def. James Irvin: $20,000

Clay Guida: $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus)

def. Shannon Gugerty: $9,000

Vladimir Matyushenko: $56,000 ($28,000 win bonus)

def. Eliot Marshall: $10,000

Darren Elkins: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)

def. Duane Ludwig: $12,000

John Howard: $26,000 ($13,000 win bonus)

def. Daniel Roberts: $6,000

Brendan Schaub: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Chase Gormley: $10,000

Mike Pierce: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Julio Paulino: $6,000

Jason Brilz: $18,000 ($9,000 win bonus)

def. Eric Schafer: $13,000

Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special bonuses that are not disclosed by the organization.

They also do not include the UFC on Versus 1 bonuses. Breaking from tradition, the UFC issued its customary fight-night bonuses to three "Fight of the Night" winners (Jones, Dos Santos and Howard). Each was worth $50,000. Additionally, a $50,000 "Submission of the Night" award went to Guida, but no "Fight of the Night" bonus was given.

In other words, the above salary figures are simply base salaries reported to the commission and do not reflect entire compensation packages for the event.

For complete coverage of UFC on Versus 1, check out the UFC Events section of MMAjunkie.com.

(Pictured: Cheick Kongo)

Guida got $100,000.

25k-show

25k- win

50k- SOTN

WTF????

Schaub makes 10K show and Bang only makes 12K?

jesus!

good for guida

How is it that Gonzaga stood to make the most money if he would have won.

Wow Bones made 20k less than Vera even with his win bonus.

Some of these fighters need to renegotiate their contracts.

PJ Benn Fan -  WTF????

jesus!

What season of TUF was Bang Ludwig on?

Uriah Faber is the biggest steal in MMA

No one is forcing them to fight.

I'd be happy to fight for 10K, at least I'm doing something I WANT to do for a living.

fighter pay is on an incredible upward trajectory, at least in the UFC. It wasnt that long ago that 2k/2k was normal for a first time undercard fighter. Props to Zuffa for making the sport better every day.

kanotoa - I have a feeling Blaf is taking care of Bones

I think before it's all said and done, Bones might be one of the sports highest paid fighters. He doesnt really have the mass appeal of GSP, but to people that love fighting, he is an amazing thing to watch.

Poor Bang! Only 12k and such a terrible injury!

I hope they have him back. His last fight was a legit loss to a fight he stepped up on short notice for. His prior 2 UFC fights have been awesome. His Genki fight was FOTN and his Goulet fight I assume was KOTN (robbed for fastest KO in UFC).

might be time to cut Vera, he's making too much based on his performances

PJ Benn Fan -  WTF????

jesus!

Bang's still waiting for his big break.

frontrowbrian -  Big payroll for a Fight Night card. Plus the bonuses were 50 K. Versus must have paid a lot of money for the show because it's not like the live gate was incredible.. maybe $600,000 or so.

Event gate was 568K, I believe.

nostripewhite - 
PJ Benn Fan -  WTF????

jesus!

Bang's still waiting for his big break.

He got that the other night:(

Cindy

Its stupid IMHO the way people scrutinize fighter pay and say oh my god these guys are getting paid garbage. Then fans will turn around and bitch that Vera gets paid too much. Gonzaga gets paid too much. Etc. etc.