UFC Talking about Aldo/Lamas For UFC 169

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/ufc-talking-about-jose-aldo-vs-ricardo-lamas-at-ufc-169-on-super-bowl-weekend

HOUSTON – It's far from a lock, but Ricardo Lamas could finally get his shot at the UFC featherweight title in February.

UFC President Dana White today said the organization is "talking about" booking champion Jose Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) vs. Lamas (13-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC) for its Super Bowl weekend card on Feb. 1.

"It's not done, but we're talking about it," he said. "But we talk about a lot of things."

Unlike past years, the UFC's annual Super Bowl card won't take place in Las Vegas. Instead, the pay-per-view event is slated for Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Aldo vs. Lamas would give the card a title shot. Initially, it was slated to feature light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) vs. Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC), but with the champ not expecting to be fully ready to go by then, officials ultimately nixed it and now expect it to take place in March or April.

Aldo is ranked No. 1 and Lamas No. 3 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA featherweight rankings.

Lamas has won four consecutive bouts since moving from the WEC to the UFC. He had hoped a January victory over Erik Koch would earn him a title shot, but the UFC then booked him for a UFC 162 bout with Chan Sung Jung. However, Jung then replaced injured Anthony Pettis and lost to Aldo, and Lamas was left without an opponent and has been waiting on the sidelines since then.

Aldo, the only 145-pound champion in UFC history, is riding a 16-fight winning streak, which includes a perfect 5-0 mark in the octagon following his win over Jung.

Jones wanting more time off and not fighting hurts this card. 

aldo/Lamas is a good fight but would be better as a Fox main event.  This card probably would need a second title fight, Barao/Cruz unification fight.  Double title fight along with a few other names could make it a solid card.

Happy for Lamas, he deserves his shot. Interesting to see what they do with Cub and Mendes, will they have to rematch for the next titleshot.

Fuck yeah! Want to see Aldo fight live. Already saw Jones fight twice. Nice change. Phone Post 3.0

So who is left for cub with mendes lamas aldo Edgar booked? Phone Post 3.0

showtime SNAPPED my toothpick - So who is left for cub with mendes lamas aldo Edgar booked? Phone Post 3.0

Dustin Poirier? Coming off that big win against Koch in Milwaukee.

Edit: Forgot they fought last year. Good question.

That fight won't sell shit on its own. They need another big fight on there Phone Post 3.0

id rather see cub vs aldo.  lamas wont be able to take aldo down and has nothing for aldo on the feet.  cub already lost to aldo but has imrpoved alot since then.

I'd rather see him vs. Chad again tbh

I think they should do better then this if they are going for the big Super Bowl event where the SB is. Phone Post 3.0

I'm glad to see Lamas getting a shot but from a business perspective this ppv will most likely do less buys than tkz vs. Aldo unless the rest of the card is insanely stacked. Phone Post

AdmiralCackbar - 

"That fight won't sell shit on its own. They need another big fight on there "

Overeem vs Mir is also on this card? Phone Post

While they are big names, Overeem is riding a 2 fight losing streak and Frank Mir is riding a 3 fight losing skid

AdmiralCackbar - 

"id rather see cub vs aldo.  lamas wont be able to take aldo down and has nothing for aldo on the feet.  cub already lost to aldo but has imrpoved alot since then"

I feel the opposite way. Llamas has earned a shot and is done new blood for Aldo. Cub has nothing for José. Phone Post

Indeed, Lamas also tapped Cub not too long ago fair and square. Lamas is the top dog, Mendes and Cub even after that IMO.

I'd love to see Cub rematch Aldo though, that first fight was kinda one in a million, if Hominick goes 5 with Aldo, so does Cub.