UFC titles losing prestige

MMA fans are spoiled. In boxing you get garbage title defenses all the time. Imagine Werdum's next defense were against Soa Palelei. That's pretty standard in boxing.

Tomato Can - MMA fans are spoiled. In boxing you get garbage title defenses all the time. Imagine Werdum's next defense were against Soa Palelei. That's pretty standard in boxing.
Yeah, it really sucks having to pay 60$ to watch each of those "garbage" boxing title defences... oh wait... Phone Post 3.0

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Speak with your wallet. It's the only way the UFC (or any company) will hear you. Generally speaking we see the best fight the best FAR more in MMA than in boxing.

The thread topic itself is just silly. Belts don't have inherent value. The UFC belts are worth something because everyone knows the champ in each division (except for Cormier because of the Jones situation) is the best fighter in their weight class. The fighter that holds the belt gives it its value, not vice versa.

Captfireeyes -
Tomato Can - MMA fans are spoiled. In boxing you get garbage title defenses all the time. Imagine Werdum's next defense were against Soa Palelei. That's pretty standard in boxing.
Yeah, it really sucks having to pay 60$ to watch each of those "garbage" boxing title defences... oh wait... Phone Post 3.0
You do pay that for a lot of those matches. Phone Post 3.0

I think this will just always be a problem because fans seem to have two distinct views.

Why does the top contender not get the title shots?

And

I'm fucking sick of all these rematches!

I think sometimes there is just no great answer to who is next in line.
I think the Gus title shot is the best example of this. He sits squarely behind AJ but rumble just fought for the belt.

The situation with werdum and Cain is the opposite. Arlovski has probably earned the next shot but it's easy to say Cain is ranked higher and deserves the rematch.

Both scenarios piss someone off. Phone Post 3.0

You can drop some of these belts in the trash, and it will not make a bit of difference.

I'm told Conner is listed as UFC champion now on the UFC site. Not Aldo, Conne.r Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it, see if that makes any sense.

Prestige = none.

SinCityHustler - You can drop some of these belts in the trash, and it will not make a bit of difference.

I'm told Conner is listed as UFC champion now on the UFC site. Not Aldo, Conne.r Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it, see if that makes any sense.

Prestige = none.

here's a helpful url that will help with some of the issues you're having: http://www.ufc.com/fighters

(are you drunk?)

SinCityHustler - You can drop some of these belts in the trash, and it will not make a bit of difference.

Prestige = none.

Yeah, dont bother checking for yourself, just get angry over something that isnt true.

http://uk.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class/Featherweight

As long as the champs are beating all challengers the titles are legit in my eyes. If they get an odd fight here and there so be it. No one complained about the Pride titles and they had way worse match ups for their title holders.

SinCityHustler - And lets add Meisha Tate and Holy Holm to the discussion. Nevermind Cain/Werdum instant rematch.

Holm is no where near a title shot. Tate was announced and then taken away.

This is all par for the course, but lets not pretend like these belts mean anything.

Cyborg herself has zero interest in Ronda's belt, she just wants to kick the shit out of Rousey but Ronda will have nothign to do with it at 140. The excuse? There isn't a 140 pound weight division and it must be for the belt.

How convenient.

So on one hand you complain that the belts are losing prestige and then on the other hand you complain that Ronda wants there to be a belt on the line? ...lol.

Just FYI, if you listen to Rousey, she has repeatedly said that she doesn't think Cyborg is due any concessions because she is juiced up. That's the reason.

Other than that, I tend to agree with the thread. It's a joke they made an interim belt for Conor.

judonoob - 
SinCityHustler - And lets add Meisha Tate and Holy Holm to the discussion. Nevermind Cain/Werdum instant rematch.

Holm is no where near a title shot. Tate was announced and then taken away.

This is all par for the course, but lets not pretend like these belts mean anything.

Cyborg herself has zero interest in Ronda's belt, she just wants to kick the shit out of Rousey but Ronda will have nothign to do with it at 140. The excuse? There isn't a 140 pound weight division and it must be for the belt.

How convenient.

So on one hand you complain that the belts are losing prestige and then on the other hand you complain that Ronda wants there to be a belt on the line? ...lol.

Just FYI, if you listen to Rousey, she has repeatedly said that she doesn't think Cyborg is due any concessions because she is juiced up. That's the reason.

Other than that, I tend to agree with the thread. It's a joke they made an interim belt for Conor.

I don't want to see Rousey vs Cyborg in order to see who the best 135 pound fighter in the world is, that fight isn't about that. Rousey does just fine defending her belt against the girls the UFC can scrape up for her to defend against. No issues there.

I want that fight to happen so we can see about Rhonda's ability to beat even men world champions, and actually any person on the planet. The opponent happens to be at 140, and the opponent has zero interest in Ronda's belt, she has her own. That fight would be what is considered a super fght, where two champions meet in the middle. The interest is there for me, not at 145 and not art 135. The titles are besides the points, they have nothign to do with the fight. But since you bring pRonda's title, it would asctually add prestige to her title reign if she demonstrated she's able to win above her weight class. Significant prestige.

9 #1 vs #1 fights in the UFC this year

UFC 182
UFC 184
UFC 185 (2x)
UFC 187
UFC 188
UFC on Fox July
UFC 191
UFC 194 (2x)

Dillashaw vs Cruz and Jones vs Johnson would have made it 11 if not cancelled.

Herring In A Fur Coat - 
rockafella - As long as the champs are beating all challengers the titles are legit in my eyes. If they get an odd fight here and there so be it. No one complained about the Pride titles and they had way worse match ups for their title holders.

This post is the truth. Pride champions fought about 3 cans for each legit opponent. No one complained about their titles losing prestige.

Are you kidding? Fedor is ridiculed regularly for his 3 title defenses and steady diet of cans. Wand gets laughed at for his string of Japanese opponents and lack of true title defenses. Do you not know this or are you being intentionally obtuse?

Pride tiles didn't have prestige, they were an after thought. They valued tournament wins or head to head wins in Pride.

I suspect you actually do not know this.

potato623 - 9 #1 vs #1 fights in the UFC this year

UFC 182
UFC 184
UFC 185 (2x)
UFC 187
UFC 188
UFC on Fox July
UFC 191
UFC 194 (2x)

Dillashaw vs Cruz and Jones vs Johnson would have made it 11 if not cancelled.

What exactly is a #1 vs #1 fight?

Herring In A Fur Coat - 
SinCityHustler - 
Herring In A Fur Coat - 
rockafella - As long as the champs are beating all challengers the titles are legit in my eyes. If they get an odd fight here and there so be it. No one complained about the Pride titles and they had way worse match ups for their title holders.

This post is the truth. Pride champions fought about 3 cans for each legit opponent. No one complained about their titles losing prestige.

Are you kidding? Fedor is ridiculed regularly for his 3 title defenses and steady diet of cans. Wand gets laughed at for his string of Japanese opponents and lack of true title defenses. Do you not know this or are you being intentionally obtuse?

Pride tiles didn't have prestige, they were an after thought. They valued tournament wins or head to head wins in Pride.

I suspect you actually do not know this.

Fedor is ridiculed now. Wand is ridiculed now. Back in 2004 when I first started posting here, I was called a "UFC paid poster" (this is before "shill" was a popular term) for even daring to suggest that UFC champions consistently face better competition tran Pride champs. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

If anything, Pride is now viewed in hindsight even better than it was back then.

The way I remember it, the argument was usually who has the better roster. Talk of which champion faces better comp was not the debate. Sure individual fighters matched up against each other were debated (Chuck vs Wand, Randy vs Fedor, etc) but the actual championship vs championship is nothing that was argued at length or regularly.

It was universally agreed the Pride belts were rarely defended and talk of Pride champions belts being protected surfaced routinely from the "UFC paid posters" crowd.

Which ever it is, can we agree the Pride belts were not the primary target chased by fighters in Pride?

I was in HD when PRIDE was the shit.

It's become a joke in 2015. Phone Post 3.0

HS* Phone Post 3.0

SinCityHustler -
tatooedMillionaire - yea it's been like this for a while home boy

Agreed, but with it becoming obvious that the vast majority of fans on this site at leas,t don't realize it yet, prompted me to make this thread.  

Randy vs Silvia comes to mind.  The California Kid and his multiple title shots.  Matt Hardy vs GSP.  Long list of examples.  

The Matt Hardy fight was a real twist of fate Phone Post 3.0

I'll tell you, I always enjoyed Hardy's fights, but the GSP bout was just very suspicious and disappointing. Mathew gave it his all no doubt, but Pierre really left a lot to be desired.

Herring In A Fur Coat - And I definitely don't agree with Pride being viewed better now than when it was around. Most newer fans only have a very vague idea of how Pride operated and how it was considered far supreme to UFC before 2007.

I mean by the fans who were following the sport back then. Of course new fans have no idea what Pride was.

Back then there was a strong contingent which defended the UFC as being the stronger promotion. Try to find one person who believes that today. It is almost unanimously agreed Pride had the better fighters. Again, I am referring to the fan who was around back then, not the newbs of today who think CM Punk is the next coming.