United 93

Hey guys,
Not to bring up a sore subject, but wasn't the guy that said "Lets Roll" on United 93 a pretty big-time judoka and also an underground brother? I seem to recall this being discussed.

Machete

seven40seven

I belive from memory his name was Jeremy Glick, Im not sure though. If anyone can help out please do. Thanks in advance. Jon

Why would that be a sore point? Judoka, yes. UG guy, I don't think so.

Jeremy Glick picked up a GTE Airfone just before 9:30 a.m. and called his in-laws in the Catskills. His wife, Lyz, and daughter, Emerson, were visiting. The family had been transfixed in front of a television, watching news coverage of airliners smashing into the World Trade Center in New York.

Glick's mother-in-law, JoAnne Makely, answered.

"Jeremy," she said, "Thank God. We're so worried."

"It's bad news," Glick replied. He asked for Lyz.

Lyz recalls no background noise. No commotion. He described the men as Arabic-looking, wearing red headbands, carrying knives. One told passengers he had a bomb. Most passengers had been forced to the rear of the cabin. Glick's mother-in-law went to another phone and dialed 911. As Jeremy and Lyz spoke, New York state police patched in on the call.

Glick asked his wife: Was it true that planes had been crashed into the World Trade Center?

Yes, she said. Glick thought so. Another passenger had been on the phone home and heard the same thing.

Around 9:30, Deena Burnett's phone rang again. It was Tom.

"He didn't sound frightened, but he was speaking faster than he normally would," she said. He told her the hijackers were in the cockpit.

"I told him a lot of planes had been hijacked, that they don't know how many," she said.

"You've got to be kidding," he replied.

"No," she said.

Were they commercial planes, airliners, he asked her. She didn't know.

"OK," he said, "I've got to go." He hung up.

Flight 93: Forty lives, one destiny

Sunday, October 28, 2001

This story was written by Staff Writer Dennis B. Roddy, based on his reporting and that of Staff Writers Cindi Lash, Steve Levin and Jonathan D. Silver.

Edited to quote source* God Bless and R.I.P to all on the flight.

Here is also a brief summary on Glick and his contributions to what transpired that day, a hero indeed:

Jeremy Glick (September 11 attack victim)
Jeremy Logan Glick was a Strategic Account Manager for Vividence, Inc who died in the September 11, 2001 attacks, on board United Airlines Flight 93. It is believed that Glick fought back against the terrorists on that flight. Glick was a resident of West Milford, New Jersey.

After hijackers took control of United Airlines flight 93, Glick called his wife Liz, who connected him by conference call to the 9-1-1 system. He relayed to the police what was happening as the hijacking unfolded. As his wife listened, Glick told the police that there were three Arab terrorists with knives and a large red box that they claimed contained a bomb. After several minutes of relaying details of the scene, Glick decided with other passengers to try to rush the cabin and obstruct the terrorists' plans. Glick was a national collegiate judo champion.

Glick was an alumnus of the University of Rochester and is memorialized there. He graduated in 1988 from a K-12 school, Saddle River Day School in Saddle River, New Jersey. The school holds a Jeremy Glick Walk-a-Thon in his memory every year. The walk benefits the school's Jeremy Glick Memorial Fund. He was survived by his wife Lyzbeth Glick and their daughter, Emerson. He should not be confused with another Jeremy Glick, whose father was a victim of the same attacks.

See also: Casualties of the September 11, 2001 attacks

TTT
TTT Jon

Best reviewed movie of the year

His wife created a fund in his name that helps "To identify children in need, provide assistance for participating in sports programs, and set and promote examples of excellence as exemplified by Jeremy Glick that help children to realize their hero within."

http://www.jeremysheroes.com

I'm no super patriot or anything, but man, those guys are heroes.

Respect.

TTT.  Just so people can realize the sacrifices others make.

Mark Bingham was another guy that rushed the cockpit. He was a rugby player at UCLA ? and the San Francisco Fog. there is a rugby tourney called The Bingham Cup each year. My younger brother plays in it each year.

these guys are true heroes RIP

Jeremy Glick, Mark Bingham and the other passengers of Flight 93 are the ULTIMATE fighters IMO.  Heroes!!

TTT for respect

Right on!! Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I'm no super patriot, either, but those guys were the definition of brave. It really seems like someone back in the day said, he used post here. But either way, real heros.

Machete

seven40seven