Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland at UFC 128 in NJ

Former Champs Urijah Faber, Eddie Wineland Targeted for UFC 128 Bout

12/29/2010 1:14 PM ET By Matt Erickson

After delivering one of the year's most thunderous knockouts at WEC 53 earlier this month, Eddie Wineland said he was ready for a step up in competition – that his ultimate goal was to recapture the bantamweight title he held four years ago.

Now that the first 135-pound champion in WEC history is a UFC fighter following the promotions' merger, it appears his new bosses have answered that call.

MMA Fighting has learned from sources close to the situation that the UFC is targeting a bout between Wineland and former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber at UFC 128 on March 19 in Newark, N.J. Though contracts have not yet been signed, verbal agreements are in place for the fight, which would likely hold a prime spot on the event's pay-per-view card

More here:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/29/former-champs-urijah-faber-eddie-wineland-targeted-for-ufc-128-bout/

awesome fight right there, glad to see Faber is not getting an immediate title shot

liking the way this card is shaping up:

UFC 128 

March 19, 2011

Newark, NJ

-Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans (for LHW Belt)

-Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland

-Mirko Cro Cop vs. Brendan Schaub

-Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau

-Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle

-Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani

Good scrap.

fuck yes, ill be there

meh, was hoping for Uriah/Torres. No fight is safe in MMA, but this seems like "safe" matchmaking.

Man with the merger the undercards are starting to look like fight nites.Ug is so good at getting Dana to do things.Were gonna have to start a petition to get more access to the prelims.Like two hour spike prelims.Then ppv main card.

Eddie is going to shock the world.

Eddies a badass. Definitely not an easy fight for Urijah. Should be a fun fight. Phone Post

With this goes two possible coaching matchups on TUF (both involving Faber).

As is, I'm really liking this matchup and the UFC can build this as a battle of two former WEC champs colliding.

wow, totally unexpected and awesome fight. I love that it is co-main event also. Faber is a mega star and one of the few guys in the WEC that can legitimately headline and co-headline UFC cards.

Wineland is a crowd pleaser as well.

^ no idea if its the co-main, i just put it there because its the only other important announced fight so far

Good fight, I'd like to see Wineland pull of the win.

glad to see the UFC isn't giving faber a title shot, eddie is going to give him a tough fight for sure.

If Urijah wins he probably gets the title fight, and I think he will win.

Faber has been inconsistent on his past 6 fights(3-3). This in my opinion is a good matchup to solidify the top title contender spot. Dont think this is going to be a onesided fight in Urijah's favor. Wineland who is 13-2 in his last 15 fights is no slouch. I think his standup up may be a bit better than Fabers and his takedown defense may be difficult for him to handle. If Eddie can keep this fight standing, he will have a good chance at getting the win.