Varner-Franca fight of the night

ttt

FightWatcher : What your problem?

Some of the best fighters in history have got rocked and used there feet to create space and collect their composure, and you wanna run a bunch of smack talk against a guy who was beating one of the best light weights in the world for the first two rounds(In only his first UFC fight), only to get rocked.

Its not like he was running the whole fight, he tried to get space to collect himself and reset himfeet, and your going thread to thread badmouthing the guy.

I thought it was a good fight, and that Varner did a great job of taking it to Hermes.....and even after he got rocked he got the takedown and was looking to ground-n-pound and finish the fight, untill he armbarred.

MMAWeekly: Would you say that was the toughest challenge you've had
in your comeback?

Hermes Franca: Every fight is tough for me. He just was one more fight.
Of course he came strong, but every fight for me is dangerous, every
fight for me is tough. If you were to ask me if this was the toughest
fight for me in 2006, for sure, he was the top fight.

HE CALLED TIME OUT !!!! now thats a goood fight , give that man some extra money .

that fight sucked.

"Its not like he was running the whole fight"

lol... right. If Varner wasn't shooting in for a takedown he was backpeddling full fucking speed away from Hermes. Using good footwork to avoid Hermes hands would have been great, instead Varner ran backwards. Horrible.

If the rest of Varner's game gets as good as his takedowns, he could be a real force. But that backpeddling shit is puuuure GARBAGE and has no place in MMA.

BJM stripped a point not just because Varner ran for four seconds. He stripped the point because Varner had been running backwards the whole fight and then finally literally ran away.

http://boxing.nv.gov/docs/MMA%20RULES%20Expained.pdf

Look at number 29 of the MMA Rules Explained document on the Nevada State Athletic Commission Site: "Timidity, incuding, without limitation,avoiding contact with an opponent..."

Running backwards the entire fight with the only exception being when he was shooting in for takedowns is borderline timidity. The second BJM could he stripped running man of a point. Good for BJM, good for MMA.

Great for the them... I may be guilty of the occasional RomoShop but that doesn't mean I have any less respect for these guys.

He did good! If Franca didn't get the arm bar, I feel Jamie would have won the judges decision! Great fight for a first fight in the UFC. He put on a very good show against a more experienced fighter.

jjay, my intentions are not to be rude, but you just made the all madden team for mma. Not every person qualifies for said team, but your statement of,
"If Franca didn't get the arm bar, I feel Jamie would have won the judges decision!"
is right in line with John Maddens obvious conclusions of,
"If he would have gotten tackled, he wouldn't have scored that touchdown!"
That is what happens, whether it be a punch or a submission, either can end the fight at anytime.

AZ SC, give me a call, I have a spot on the WEF card on Dec 10 for Jamie.

Thanks,
Jamie Levine

No offense but Jamie did not really control anything. Hermes took the fight on short notice. He was not prepared for the fight. He gassed early and won the fight with his heart.

Once Jamie was tired and they were on even terms Hermes dominated him. Jamie tried to avoid the fight. If they both fight with equal time to prepare Hermes wins the fight easily IMO.

"those who cant fight, WATCH FIGHTS, those that can fight...........fight"

Let me correct this statement for you.

Those who like to watch fights, watch fights. And pay to watch fights. They buy PPVs, tickets and other associated items like branded clothing and DVDs.

Just because I don't choose to make fighting my lifestyle and occupation doesn't mean that, as a consumer of fight show PPVs and tickets, I have no right to an opinion.

So, to the fighters who's show/win/other contract money that I help pay, here is my respectfull opinion:

I never personally attacked Varner, I criticized his defense strategy in his fight with Hermes. Which was to run away when he wasn't executing those beautiful takedowns and the following lay'n'pray.

Little homo-erotic faygola nuthuggers who want to bust out the "You're not a fighter so shup up" arguement should get back to doing what they do best, get beat up by better fighters for a living/hobby.

wardawg,

I completely agree with you whole heartedly. It's an any given sundy. Which is why I said if. I'm not saying Franca got lucky or he was getting his ass kicked, it was a simple observation of mine that lead me to my opinion on the fight. But you can't refute the fact had fanca not got that arm bar on Jamie most likely would have won, just as in your madden example, had the guy tackled the other guy with the ball they wouldn't have scored.