*VIDEO* Rener vs Meyhem -Gracie Challenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVxrrUpptOY&feature=related

What the back story here? Rener looks young, was it along time ago? Did Meyhem show up @ Rener's academy on the advice of mark Laimon to challenge them or something?

also why do my threads never show up when i make them this is my second attempt at this one, hopefully its not a double post.

I spelled "Mayhem" wrong. please do not mention this. its been acknowledged.

^^^^^

thanks

That was from the 2003 So Cal Pro Am Invitational. It wasn't a Gracie Challenge. It was a Tournament. Mayhem did very well during the event.

He also joked about it after that fight saying something to the effect of "Darn my luck, I lose by a gi-choke at a no-gi event."

Technically it was a No-gi tournament. Rener was the only one who I recall wearing a Gi at the event. There were some other big names there.

Cassio Werneck (Werneck JJ)
Jeff Newton
Rener Gracie (Gracie JJ)
Joe Stevenson (Ted Williams)
Mario Flores
Sean Spangler (J-Sect/Nova Uniao JJ)
Jason Miller (Team Oyama)
Kenny Bond (Machado)
Gerald Strebendt (10th Planet)
Drew Fickett (Gustavo Machado)
Andy Wang (rAw/Grappling Unlimited)
Joe Camacho(Silva JJ)
Tyrone Glover (Werneck JJ)
Dennis Asche (Machado)
Paulo Guillobel (Machado)
Anthony Tolone (Marcio Simas)

Glover, Stevenson, and Miller all had outstanding performances if I recall. Glover got promoted at the event.

ah, was wondering if it was a tournament setting. looked like it was in a dojo and seemed to be just one match going on. what was the rule set. thought it was weird that Rener had a gi and Mayhem didn't.

Freedom57 - He also joked about it after that fight saying something to the effect of "Darn my luck, I lose by a gi-choke at a no-gi event."

Technically it was a No-gi tournament. Rener was the only one who I recall wearing a Gi at the event. There were some other big names there.

Jeff Newton
Rener Gracie (Gracie JJ)
Mario Flores
Kenny Bond (Machado)
Joe Camacho(Silva JJ)
Dennis Asche (Machado)

Glover, Stevenson, and Miller all had outstanding performances if I recall. Glover got promoted at the event.

was in an open weight tournament? who took 1st?

^^^^

was it

awesome

Freedom57 - He also joked about it after that fight saying something to the effect of "Darn my luck, I lose by a gi-choke at a no-gi event."

Jeff Newton
Rener Gracie (Gracie JJ)
Mario Flores
Kenny Bond (Machado)
Joe Camacho(Silva JJ)
Dennis Asche (Machado)

what does "Technically it was a No-gi tournament" mean? if it was no-gi Rener would not of been allowed to wear one. if dress code was open and Rener was the only one that opted to wear the gi then it hardly was a No-gi tournament.

anyways i was just wondering the back story.

Thanks Freedom

It was held at the Gracie Academy. Rener won the tournament.

He beat Joe Stevenson by straight ankle lock after 29 minutes. Then he beat Cassio Werneck by straight ankle lock (there was some controversy whether Werneck tapped or not.) He then beat Miller (you see this in the video above.) Then Tyrone Glover in the finals by straight ankle lock.

I can't recall if it was strictly no-gi per the rules (probably not), or gi-optional. I know that Rener was the only one in the Tournament itself who wore one. Ryron competed in a superfight and he also had a Gi on. (He beat Todd Margolis by armlock.)

Freedom57 - It was held at the Gracie Academy. Rener won the tournament.

He beat Joe Stevenson by straight ankle lock after 29 minutes. Then he beat Cassio Werneck by straight ankle lock (there was some controversy whether Werneck tapped or not.) He then beat Miller (you see this in the video above.) Then Tyrone Glover in the finals by straight ankle lock.

I can't recall if it was strictly no-gi per the rules (probably not), or gi-optional. I know that Rener was the only one in the Tournament itself who wore one. Ryron competed in a superfight and he also had a Gi on. (He beat Todd Margolis by armlock.)

Crazy, thats sort of cool that they hosted an event like this. was this a one time thing or is it annual? 29 minute match? so Im guessing there were no time limits.

I like this idea, switch things up a little from the regular sport format. open weight, open dress code and no time limits. would only work as invite with limited competitors though otherwise at could be a week long tournament .

ttt

DanTheWolfman - Maybe now that Mayhem got a black belt (from ?) maybe he will buy a Gi and rematch

Bad idea. He'd lose quicker in a gi :-(

Damn son, that's impressive.

This match happened in '03. Mayhem didn't start training at cobra kai with laimon until '04; it had nothing to do with him.

wilsin - 

Crazy, thats sort of cool that they hosted an event like this. was this a one time thing or is it annual? 29 minute match? so Im guessing there were no time limits.

I like this idea, switch things up a little from the regular sport format. open weight, open dress code and no time limits. would only work as invite with limited competitors though otherwise at could be a week long tournament .

it wasnt a rorion event,it was a grapple tv event.they rented the academy.

it was a submission tournie,wear what you want.i think was 20 yrs old at the time

IIRC, it was a everyone thought it was a no gi tourny but the rules didn't strictly forbid it. I remember Mayhem's thread the same way Freedom did.