Volkanovski vs. Ilia Topuria Featherweight Title Fight Targeted for 298

6 Likes

UFC featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski may not be fighting in January, but he is factored into plans for a February title bout.

Volkanovski had asked for a quick turnaround after suffer

Alexander Volkanovski vs. Ilia Topuria Planned For February

Ariel Helwani is reporting that while the UFC was initially looking to grant Volkanovski’s wish for a January 20 fight, the new plan is to have “The Great” put his gold on the line against Ilia Topuria in February.

“The current plan – though not finalized just yet – is to have Islam Makhachev x Charles Oliveira 2 – headline UFC 297,” Helwani wrote. “That event, while not officially announced yet, is currently slated to Jan. 20 in Toronto. The original plan for that main was Volkanovski x Topuria, but now the plan is for that to be on the February PPV. Raquel Pennington x Mayra Bueno Silva for the vacant 135 title also scheduled for that January card, as reported yesterday.”

Many were hoping that Volkanovski would wait at least until the spring to have another fight, but he has insisted that he’s fine and doesn’t need much time on the shelf. On his YouTube channel, Volkanovski explained why he doesn’t feel taking more time off would be beneficial, “Like I said, I am the best version of myself inside and outside of the cage, whenever I have clear direction.” He’ll be facing a hungry contender in Topuria, who is undefeated with a pro MMA record of 14-0.

Volkanovski hadn’t been finished since 2013 before running into Makhachev. It’ll be the first time a much wider audience gets to see how he bounces back from being knocked out.ing a head kick knockout loss in his rematch with UFC lightweight titleholder Islam Makhachev. After the defeat, an emotional Volkanovski said he needs to fight again soon because without something scheduled he loses direction.

1 Like

I like Topuria in this fight. Changing of the guard at featherweight. A young bull overtaking a veteran. Volk’s run was hella impressive, but his best days are behind him.

5 Likes

Should be a hell of a fight.

1 Like

thanks (/) Muncher VU

1 Like

If only all the champs were active and fought new challengers like Volk

11 Likes

NDA

Ban him

2 Likes

Yeah but now it’s official-official

Not Pinning His No Show Official Thread anymoar

@Nick_Diaz_Army

Cmon bro, entertain Ur ''Fans" in that thread

@Hong_Kong_Phooey I will officially start a
UFC 295 thread (play by play) that u can PIN.

Unless NDA replies to that thread then he can have the pin.

Deal

Is This a SNB Challenge BB ?

I don’t negotiate with Terrorists/Terrorist sympathisers like NDA

1 Like
1 Like

UFC CEO Dana White on Monday announced a trio of title bouts on social media for early 2024. First up, UFC middleweight champion Sean Strickland defends his belt against Dricus du Plessis on January in Toronto at UFC 297. Then, UFC featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski returns to 145 pounds to take on Ilia Topuria in February at UFC 298, and bantamweight king Sean O’Malley rematches Marlon Vera in March at UFC 299.

Strickland (28-5) captured his belt in stunning fashion with an upset of Israel Adesanya in September. For his first title defense, he meets du Plessis (20-2), the South African contender who stamped an exclamation mark on his undefeated 6-0 octagon record with a dominant stoppage win over former champ Robert Whittaker this past summer.
Volkanovski (26-3) returns to featherweight following his unsuccessful shot at two-division glory against Islam Makhachev in October. Volkanovski ultimately lost twice to Makhachev in 2023, with the rematch ending in a brutal first-round knockout, but is otherwise undefeated over his other 13 UFC appearances. His opponent, Topuria (14-0), has won six straight bouts to start his octagon career, including a recent decision over Josh Emmett.

O’Malley (17-1, 1 NC) also readies for his first title defense following his impressive second-round knockout of Aljamain Sterling in August. He now faces the only man to defeat him in his professional MMA career, Vera (21-8-1), who memorably earned over a first-round TKO over O’Malley in 2020. Vera has racked up a 5-2 UFC record with wins over Rob Font, Frankie Edgar, Pedro Munhoz, and Dominick Cruz since that first meeting with O’Malley.

1 Like

Topuria - Volk should be a great fight.

Illia is a super exciting fighter. Great technique, killer instinct.

Dude is living the life right now.

2 Likes

https://www.mmanews.com/news/watch-ilia-topuria-ufc-298-promo-leaks-

Video: Ilia Topuria’s UFC 298 Promo Video Leaks Possible Location Of The Event

Topuria might’ve leaked UFC 298’s location.location