Was Modern MMA Born In Irvine, CA?

ttt for later

Kirik with the history lesson;) I'd love to read about some of the earlier attempts.

Cindy

HAHA! My 1st fight was in kage kombat at clun soho in downtown LA. I fought for $100 and popped my MMA cherry. Those were some fun times.

Kirik - There were a bunch of early attempts at mixed rules fighting. I did a column for Tapout mag on it. Fred Hamilton had one in NY. Tommy Lee had the World Series of Martial Arts in Hawai'i. Aaron Banks' Oriental World of Self-Defense had a lot of mixed matches.

Kirik, do you know if any of the other ones you listed used an 8 sided cage? Do you have any information on Art Davie and Rorion attending Kazja's event?

Again, I realize that there were mixed fights before this, and I am not here to debate the UFC's trademarks. The part of the story I find the most interesting is that this particular event in Irvine seemed to have most of the major elements of the first UFC, and if the originators of the UFC were in attendance then it would appear that this event could have been the conceptual inspiration for UFC 1.

CindyO -  Did you trademark your design?

Cindy

Cindy , You Patent Designs and Trademark Names or Copyright .

I wanted instead to address something that caught my eye that is an interesting piece of MMA history. On Febuary 21, 1993 he had an event titled "Cage of Rage" at UC Irvine. He emailed me several documentation about the event, including an event poster. BTW, as most of you know, UFC 1 was held Nov, 93 in Colorado. According to the poster and Mr. Patschull, the event featured the following:

Ive been here since 1976 and never heard of this . Only concerts at UC Irvine.

Hong Kong Phooey - I wanted instead to address something that caught my eye that is an interesting piece of MMA history. On Febuary 21, 1993 he had an event titled "Cage of Rage" at UC Irvine. He emailed me several documentation about the event, including an event poster. BTW, as most of you know, UFC 1 was held Nov, 93 in Colorado. According to the poster and Mr. Patschull, the event featured the following:

Ive been here since 1976 and never heard of this . Only concerts at UC Irvine.

Take a look at the Sherdog link I posted, there is a copy of the event poster and press release from the time of the event. I tried to post the event poster but my features aren't working so if someone else can post it, it would be appreciated.

I've seen VCR footage (this was pre internet - or at least before I had access to the internet) of guys repping TMAs more or less (they weren't wearing logo wear or anything but clearly these were TMAers as opposed to boxers) throwing down in a parking garage for money with other people watching.

And that footage was from the mid or late 80s (I saw it in probably 95, right about the time people were starting to talk about the UFC - so this guy brings in this tape...)

And no I'm not talking about the Van Dammme movie or that Donny Frye footage -lol.

Believe it or not this footage was shot in Oklahoma City (the guy who showed it to me was a bouncer by trade and a monster of a judoka and he had a fight on the tape where he basically just tossed a dude on his head FTW).

There were at least 3 fights on the tape that I saw. One of them I remember featured a guy who was jumping really high and doing spin around kicks and shit. Really acrobatic stuff (I think he told me he was a hapkido guy iirc) who won his fight when the other guy basically had enough and gave up.

Not exactly what you'd call legal or anything but this kind of thing has happened. I'm sure lots of people on this baord have seen really old school underground fight footage as well.

A lot of people grew up in the 70s watching Bruce Lee and shit. Just sayin'.

Rollo the Cat - "I was banned from all the UFC owned and controlled forums for telling the true story about MMA"

Which ones are they? Do they even have forums of their own?

Kazja's story is pretty much common knowledge, at least as far as the cage goes.

I consider myself pretty well versed in MMA, especially compared to the general public and casual fan and I had never heard of this event before. Hell, most current UFC fans probably don't even know what SEG is.. So I don't see how this is common knowledge.

So who won, 'the main man' or 'the kempo kid'?

NameCaller - I've seen VCR footage (this was pre internet - or at least before I had access to the internet) of guys repping TMAs more or less (they weren't wearing logo wear or anything but clearly these were TMAers as opposed to boxers) throwing down in a parking garage for money with other people watching.

And that footage was from the mid or late 80s (I saw it in probably 95, right about the time people were starting to talk about the UFC - so this guy brings in this tape...)

And no I'm not talking about the Van Dammme movie or that Donny Frye footage -lol.

Believe it or not this footage was shot in Oklahoma City (the guy who showed it to me was a bouncer by trade and a monster of a judoka and he had a fight on the tape where he basically just tossed a dude on his head FTW).

There were at least 3 fights on the tape that I saw. One of them I remember featured a guy who was jumping really high and doing spin around kicks and shit. Really acrobatic stuff (I think he told me he was a hapkido guy iirc) who won his fight when the other guy basically had enough and gave up.

Not exactly what you'd call legal or anything but this kind of thing has happened. I'm sure lots of people on this baord have seen really old school underground fight footage as well.

A lot of people grew up in the 70s watching Bruce Lee and shit. Just sayin'.

Again, I am not arguing that this event was the first time there were mixed fights. What I am saying is that it was the first time they were held in an 8 sided cage and organized in a fashion very similar to the first UFC with two of the founding originators of the UFC in attendance, thus being the inspiration for the UFC.

CharlesLewis - So who won, 'the main man' or 'the kempo kid'?

Mr. Irvine FTW! lol

But so what, James? He's whining about something that happened 15 years ago? If he hasn't accomplished anything by now through the legal system he obviously has no claim.

Is it that he wants to be acknowledged for something or does he feel he is entitled to compensation by the UFC for something Bob Meyrowitz, Rorion Gracie and Art Davey might have done?

If the UFC "controlled" Sherdog, Josh Gross, Jeff and the rest of them might still have access to cover live UFC events and that 57 page thread would no longer exist.

His comment about Sherdog is how you know this guy is out of the loop because DW hates them and the feeling is probably mutual.

Cindy

seems very legit , ticketscalper was May co. at the time , 310 area codes , Bren event center . Hmmm.

Truth is Early Bird gets the worm , he who files for intellectual Property and puts the game plan in action , gets the worm.