Was Modern MMA Born In Irvine, CA?

I received an email today by Kazja Patschull. He emailed me with several assertions about the UFC, the Vegas and California athletic commissions and he has a colorful past ranging from having a Taco establishment in So Cal titled "Tap Out Taco" to being an actor in a few B movies and being married to Apollenia Kotera.. If you google his name there is a long thread on Sherdog where he expressed many of his claims (his account has since been banned on Sherdog). The claim he is most impassioned about is that he holds first use rights to the "Octagon". Of course the UFC has long since trademarked this, which he asserts isn't valid. The majority of the responses are that he is a nut and that his claim is without merit. If you check out the Sherdog thread you can see his evidence and form your own opinion on the subject and I am not posting this to debate this matter. I wanted instead to address something that caught my eye that is an interesting piece of MMA history. On Febuary 21, 1993 he had an event titled "Cage of Rage" at UC Irvine. He emailed me several documentation about the event, including an event poster. BTW, as most of you know, UFC 1 was held Nov, 93 in Colorado. According to the poster and Mr. Patschull, the event featured the following:

-Martial Artists from various disciplines competing against each other including Savate, Street Fighter, Kempo fighter etc.

-An 8 sided cage

-No rules

-Tournament

-The tagline "Two fighters enter, only one walks out."

Of particular interest is that in attendance was Rorion Gracie and Art Davie (two of the three founders of SEG era UFC). Patschull also claimed to me that Royce and Rickson were in attendance but I have not seen any supporting evidence of this. He asserts that his show was the main inspiration for the UFC. If this is true, would his event be considered the first official MMA event in North America? Of course, the gracie challenge and other mixed fights have been well documented, but is this event essentially the first full fledged modern MMA event? Was MMA as we know it today born in Irvine, California at "Cage of Rage" February 1993?

possibly.

www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ufc-sues-tfa-about-octagon-wins-another-court-case-616375/index52.html 

"Toughman contests" in Hawaii were around the 80's as well, they had no rules matches/ style vs style matches.

Almanac - "Toughman contests" in Hawaii were around the 80's as well, they had no rules matches/ style vs style matches.

Were they in a cage?

Owned Entertainm - 
Almanac - "Toughman contests" in Hawaii were around the 80's as well, they had no rules matches/ style vs style matches.

Were they in a cage?

More importantly, an OCTAGON cage.

I remember back in the early 90's black belt mag used to have ads for kapu kuialua instructionals, and i think they had tapes of fights too... the series was by kazja and featured the "hawaiian art of bone breaking"....not sure if that was prior to the UFC, but the ads said they were " the originator of the cage fights"

good post

Designated Driver - Of course it's true... only TUF noobs aren't aware of that.

Kazja should post here where only real MMA fans post.

If all of this is true, I think a strong argument could be made that Kazja invented modern MMA.

Chuck Norris invented modern MMA in his 1980 movie "Octagon"

lol

I'm pretty sure SEG was running ads in Blackbelt magazine for,"The World's Greatest Fighter! In a cage designed by John Milius" pre-February.

Didn't Kazja run events in San Pedro with a ghetto looking chain-link fence box? I know he had those for awhile...

Max

Slapsymaxi - I'm pretty sure SEG was running ads in Blackbelt magazine for,"The World's Greatest Fighter! In a cage designed by John Milius" pre-February.

Didn't Kazja run events in San Pedro with a ghetto looking chain-link fence box? I know he had those for awhile...

Max

Take a look at the Sherdog link I posted. There is the poster for the first event, which includes his Octagon and also his press release about the event which essentially describes the UFC 1 description. Rage of Cage was 10 months before UFC1! Art Davie and Rorion where there. 10 months later they put on the UFC.

My first Octagon was pretty tough to fight in, the fencing wasn't plastic coated. My new one I created sets up in thirty minutes and has plastic coated fencing. I should post here the members are more open than the UFC controlled sherdog forum. I am meeting with attorneys today and tomorrow because of a illegal judgement the CSAC put on me in 1999 for doing judo chokes. To keep me out until the Zuffa owned UFC got full control of the sport. I will keep you guys informed what is going on behind the closed doors of MMA. I was banned from all the UFC owned and controlled forums for telling the true story about MMA. I am not claiming to be the creater of NHB that has been around before time. I did originate the Octagon. Could you have imagined if the first UFC was held in a boxing ring it would not have had the same impact. Also I did write the rules for MMA which are called the Unified rules. I have proof they went through in 2000 in California and proof I sent them to Kirk Hendrix and Fertitta when they still worked for the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Be back later to update you.

Kazja13

Slapsymaxi - I'm pretty sure SEG was running ads in Blackbelt magazine for,"The World's Greatest Fighter! In a cage designed by John Milius" pre-February.

Max

This was untrue. They did not run adds in Blackbelt pre February in Blackbelt. They did try and use John Millius name. He did not create the Octagon. And the Kage Kombat events in San Pedro were in a Octagon. Not a Ghetto fenced box.

http://www.kagekombat.com/nvideo.htm

Did you trademark your design?

Cindy

"Also I did write the rules for MMA which are called the Unified rules"

Kazja13,

Did this take place in New Jersey & did Paul Smith have any input?

Wow, could be an epic thread.

Irvine,CA is DEFINATLY the birthplace of moden MMA...

I went to UC Irvine and, trust me, it was no joke back in the day.

"Two fighters enter, only one walks out leaves" was just another day on campus. Recognize.

Pours out some Latte for my homies

Actually, I went to an early "Kage Kombat" in San Pedro with some guys from Gokors. (I remember I Saw John DeLaO fight). I assumed it was started AFTER UFC 1.

I'd be suprised to learn it was BEFORE UFC 1.

"Neutral Grounds" (another MMA & sometimes grappling show) was also happening at the same time, here in Southern CA.

There were a bunch of early attempts at mixed rules fighting. I did a column for Tapout mag on it. Fred Hamilton had one in NY. Tommy Lee had the World Series of Martial Arts in Hawai'i. Aaron Banks' Oriental World of Self-Defense had a lot of mixed matches.

Ivory -  i support that

oc bitches! 714

or wtfever the zipcode is i dont live out there :-p

It's 949 now.  It was 714 back then.

FYI...The prefix of a phone number is usually referred to as an area code.