Weidman would have been tough for Izzy

Hopefully we will get to see Perreira vs Izzy and while I think Izzy will have come along from that last fight esp as in relates to MMA, does any other MW pose a threat to him?

I think the old guard of Weidman’s era along with Jacare and maybe even Rockhold may have been tougher fights for him aside from Whittaker. Romero did what he does - dangerous in spurts and when he did try to wrestle, couldn’t hold Izzy down and doesn’t have much of a ground game anyhow.

Stylistically, I think Weidman may have been Izzy’s nightmare matchup. Not as tall as Izzy but 6’2” compared to 6’4” and I think may also not have had as long reach but had like 76-78” reach and also had a very good control fo range from striking to tds (see the Machida fight …yes Machida is diff from Izzy).

Also had good cardio, good chin (in his prime), very good mma wrestler and also had a good ground game.

Jacare and Rockhold would prob finish Izzy on the ground but their tds were not as good as Weidmans, esp Rockhold.

3 Likes

Yes. He calls himself The Cannon Man.

1 Like

Fuck don’t tell me that’s Strickland?

Rockhold stole Weidman’s soul. Weidman was an unbeaten monster until that fight.

Weidman/Rockhold 2 needs to happen. Loser leaves town.

4 Likes

Pre USADA Weidman or Post?

6 Likes

Weidman def took the tumble after that but I’m talking prime Weidman and the stylistic matchup.

1 Like

In retrospect Weidman probably would have beat Luke if not for that wheel kick attempt. Rockhold was fading

Actually didn’t Luke’s guillotine or roll counter on Weidmans TD attempt make Weidman not shoot again?

Either way, I think Weidman had the right style to be problems for Izzy. Anyone else?

Maybe, would have to rewatch, but I remember Weidman landing hard body kicks that looked like we’re taking a toll

And agree

Wasn’t mentally strong. Had the tools

Showed toughness vs Anderson and Machida. Everything went south after Luke but do I think the tools were a problem for Izzy?

After USADA joined the UFC chris Weidman is 3-6

Anderson would murder him when he’s not cheating. Izzy would have picked him apart

2 Likes

The irony is that Weidman was one of the loudest anti-PED advocates ….however I’m not at all convinced that’s what his decline was. At any rate, Weidman was a rangy wrestling machine with good striking to transition into it. That’s a tough fight for Izzy. No one in his era has the same frame and skills.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Anderson got popped for steroids… so… yeah…

Would of been a great fight with intrigue

Too bad their era’s didn’t align + USADA nerf

Yep I agree prime Weidman could be a tough go for Izzy. His prime wasn’t that long but when in it he was a stud.

I was thinking about that today too. Weidman’s wrestling, size , pressure and BJJ would of been a problem for Izzy

Weidmans problem he was too big for 185 and too small for 205. When he was on his he gear it helped with that huge cut. Once he got off the gear he faded away

1 Like