Weidman's chances against Vitor

MMALatina -

@Ryann: Ah, did not know about Vitor's testing positive for roids against Hendo. But haven't other fighters also tested positive for roids in past years (e.g., Barnett?? -- btw, no offense to Josh as I'm a huge fan of his) eventually been able to get a license in NV? Or is that you can get a license but NOT a TRT exempton if you tested positive in the past? That would make sense. (e.g., I don't think Josh has a TRT exemption)

@LazerMMA: I agree. Chris has a lot to prove with this fight and should not take chances. The fight should take place in the venue where Vitor will be regulated properly (i.e., the U.S.). Question is: if Vitor can't get licensed here, should Weidman scrap the fight altogether and not do it??? I have a feeling that's what it'll come down to: "The fight can't be here so it's either Brazil or no fight." 

They get liscensed to fight but not trt use.

And you guys are like 20 feet away from each other! Lol Phone Post 3.0

I've never heard a crowd go crazier then well Vitor fights in Brazil most notably the Anthony Johnson fight it was insane it would definitely be an unfair advantage for Vitor Phone Post 3.0

Deputy Porker - I've never heard a crowd go crazier then well Vitor fights in Brazil most notably the Anthony Johnson fight it was insane it would definitely be an unfair advantage for Vitor Phone Post 3.0

True, in addition to the testing-issue... there is just the advantage of the crowd. No one is louder than a crowd in Brazil. It definitely can only HELP Vitor... 

Weidman by sub or dec,

even if the fight is in Hazil!!!

Daverr - 
Weidman by sub or dec,

even if the fight is in Hazil!!!

If that happens, that'll definitely silence the Weidman-doubters! I honestly don't think it'll go 5 rounds, though. Vitor has too much brute-strength/power and Weidman is too well-rounded. I can imagine him getting Vitor on the floor for a little ground-and-pound... 

As has been said; if it's in Brazil, Vitor will have so much t in his system he'll be virtually impervious to bullets....

One thing he's never been impervious to, however, is takedowns. His takedown defense is (IIRC) about 68%? so against a wrestler of Weidman's level, he'd be in serious danger of being taken down and ground on.

Belfort's speed and movement on the ground means he proably won't get too roughed up down there, so long as his cardio holds.  I can't see him being as immobile as Silva generally is when on his back, and if Weidman can avoid being subbed by Maia, I don't see Belfort subbing him.

The BIG question for me, would be if it went into the championship rounds; Weidman's never been past a 3rd round, and Vitor only ever has once, against Jones, and that didn't go much longer because he was fucked by then.

Both men have been seen to get tired in fights; so if it went into r4...what would we see then? Vitor generally loses his KO power quickly (when natural) 

In Brazil: Vitor, tko1

Anywhere else: Weidman, dec

Weidman takes it. I don't think Vitor will stop the TD and Chris's gnp is devastating. Phone Post 3.0

Weidman via wrestling , Machida is a much more intriguing matchup with his take down defense Phone Post 3.0

Welcome! Imo Weidman will dominate. He's great at controlling distance, keeping Vitor's strikes at bay & could take him down every time Belfort attempts to blitz him (predictable since he pretty much attacks in a straight line) and he's known to break especially against wrestlers after the 1st round.

1st Silva fight: Silva has his HANDS UP ("serious"), after being taken down, rocked via ground & pound & almost submitted, he changes his APPROACH by lowering his hands to defend takedowns & "clowning" to lure Weidman into a striking match.. "Come on man, stand up". But that's just my take on it, shame Weidman doesn't get the respect he deserves.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/toeragman/andyrockedslw_zps5b92990e.gif

2nd fight with AS was flawless..

Weidman IMO, though it may be a tough fight.

Too many weapons to VBs too few and Weidman has great coaches whose job will be easier against a fighter who is more one-dimensional than some of the other guys in the division.

Of course, where the fight happens will play an obvious role in the outcome.

Weidman wins regardless of venue or what's flowing through Vitor's veins. His wrestling is the difference. UD or championship round submission for Chris. Phone Post 3.0

Weidman takes this anywhere in the world. Phone Post 3.0

Everyone's assesment on this fight is....

In Brazil, Vitor wins...

In the US of A, Weidman wins....

I say Chris beats Vitor in Uranus

Chris completely nulified Anderson Silva's striking in both fights... Silva is widely known as the most accurate striker MMA has ever seen..... With the 5 inch reach advantage Vitor is going to whiff alot if he can even keep it standing for 8 seconds..... This is a really really bad MU for Vitor....

Either way - can't wait!

If he can avoid getting ko'd within the first 2rds he has a great chance of wining

Kentpaul - If he can avoid getting ko'd within the first 2rds he has a great chance of wining

Agree 100%. My thoughts exactly. If Weidman can make it past Vitor's punching power and avoid a 1st or 2nd round KO/TKO, he's likely in the clear and can take it. I don't see this fight going 5 rounds. Weidman is too good -- if he can get Vitor on the ground and avoid Vitor's stand-up game, he can finish him on the ground (either via a sub or just some good ole' ground and pound). I would say it goes 3 rounds, tops (IMHO). 

And yup, we're all in agreement: if it's in Brazil, major, major advantage for Vitor (not only the TRT issues but the homecourt advantage of the Brazlian fans). 

It'll be very interesting to see where the UFC decides to hold it. If Vitor can only fight in Brazil, should Weidman say: "No way"? Does he even have that option? Doubtful. He doesn't seem like that type to dig his heels in about that anyway. I think he'd fight in Brazil if that's where the UFC decides to host it and just focus on doing his best.

weidman doesnt have to avoid anything here.... its quite the opposite