Weight cutting hurts the UFC

While others have already addressed how your complaints about weight cutting are incorrect, your idea for solving the problem has been ignored, and I would like to address:

That is some of the dumbest shit I have ever heard. So somebody who is naturally at the limit for their weight class, right at 205, 185, 170, whatever, you're going to make them drink a ton of water so that, what, when they weigh in their going to weigh 206, 186, 171? So now what's going to happen? The fight is going to be cancelled? They're going to have to cut the weight anyways? Yeah, you really solved the problem there buddy. Or I know, let's make them drink a ton of water so they get really sick and bloated before a fight, that will make them perform at the top of their condition. Take 5 seconds, sit back, and think about this shit before you post it.

I support same day weigh-ins, make it a few hours before event time. It would really shake up the divisions for some real excitement. Fighters would only be able to cut a few pounds before weigh-in. Many of the LHWs like Tito, Chuck, Forrest and even some MWs like Franklin and Tanner would be fighting at their natural weights of around 220lbs. Oh shit! That would make them almost 10 pounds lighter than the champ* Arlovski. Most everyone moves up a class, and now you have stacked HW division.

If this cant happen, at least have an unofficial-before-fight-weigh-in to show what weight the guys are actually fighting at. Boxing does it...

i think we need two weigh ins. And if a fighter gains back more than 10 pounds its a dq just like if you coudnt ake weight the first time

Some of you are saying that same say weigh-ins are bad because a fighter will cut weight anyway, and that's dangerous, right?

Allowing cutting because you can't stop it does not justify it.

How about this idea: I was at walmart the other day and I saw a scale that gave your weight, BF%, and Your hydration %.

Wouldn't that work? If you just figured out what a "normal" range for hydration is and required fighters to be within that range.

And I'm looking for legitimate discussion about this, not a bunch of assholes telling me to stop complaining because it never is gonna change.

Jeebus, what a lot of whining about nothing... Weight cutting is a LONG way from being a problem that MMA needs to worry about, IF you even accept that it's a problem at all.

And same day weigh-ins suck. Fighters are going to cut no matter when the weigh-ins are.. this just gives them less chance to rehydrate, making the fight even more dangerous.

"And same day weigh-ins suck. Fighters are going to cut no matter when the weigh-ins are.. this just gives them less chance to rehydrate, making the fight even more dangerous."

WHY? Wouldn't smart fighters cut less because they less time to rehydrate? Unless it has changed, New Jersey has same-day weigh-ins, and Tito and all of the other "cheaters" were able to cut and fight fine...they just factored that in I'm sure.

ps. I don't think that weight-cutting is cheating, I was being sarcastic, but I do favour same-day weigh-ins as I figure (yes, this is a guess), in the long-run (after some over-cut thinking it is an advantage), fighters will cut less weight, which is healthier, right?

When you think about it. UFC is one of the few sports that shows behind the scenes of weight cutting (somewhat, but more than others).

How many average fans debate extreme weight cutting in boxing, crew, or even horse racing?

Same day weigh-ins may be the only enforceable option.

However, what happens if someone over-estimates their ability to recover?

There would be health and $$ issues if someone started a fight dehydrated.

On a separate note, how did the dude on TUF lose that weight eating and drinking like he did?

Does he only crap once a week?

Water is a pint a pound - or 8lbs/gallon.

I liked rowing as a heavy for a reason.

I re-read the threads, even if it is not a health issue for same-days.

I want to see people fighting at their 100%, not someone at 80% due to dehydration.

I am done debating myself.

I support same-day weigh-ins.  Sure fighters will still cut, but not as much.  Many high school wrestlers and others now have same day weigh-ins with no problems, the fighters WILL adjust.  They did when the UFC when to New Jersey, they will elsewhere as well.  Arguing that same-day weigh-ins are less healthy and poses increased health risks is just dumb.

I agree with the 2 weigh in idea with a max increase before dq.

Just same day weigh ins would end up with someone dropping dead (dehydration far worsens the effects of concussion) for all those that talk about fighters being smart enough to know not to do it, who are you kidding. Athletes will do things that are terrible for their bodies to get a competitive advantage and the sport doesn't need the bad press.

Current system with people dropping 30lbs makes it a contest to see who is best at dropping weight not who is the best fighter in each weight bracket.

"Arguing that same-day weigh-ins are less healthy and poses increased health risks is just dumb."

Why does it sound "just dumb?" The only dumb thing is to dismiss the possibility out of hand.

CockneyBlue makes a good point about fighters cutting too much and risking their health...

The two-weigh in idea makes sense as well...make weight the day before, and then have a max. regaining amount right before the fight...basically means same-day weigh-in, but with less chance of a fighter over-cutting...

nothing wrong with cutting weight though, it isn't cheating

If we can electronicly determine a fighter's level of hydration then that completely solves the issue.

There is NO safety issue because no one will be able to cut.

The point of weight classes is to take away a size advantage and make it a battle of skill.

It's complete fairness, every fighter will fight at his perfect bodyweight against someone who naturally weighs the same amount.

Even if weight cutting isn't bad for fighters, it isn't nessicary for MMA. Cutting is just fighters taking advantage of a flawed system.

If we can implement a better system and make weight advantages a non-issue, Why Not?

What's this nonsense about having fights cancelled because somebody doesn't make weight?

In boxing, if a guy doesn't make weight, he has to pay the other guy out of his purse as per the pre-fight contract. That would solve the problem very quickly.

"step off the scale; into ring/cage...why is this not the best idea? TRULY even match ups in the same weight class. WOW...maybe we can find out who is better skilled,..unless of coarse, you aren't interested."

You missed the aforementioned worry of health issues. You also missed English class the day they taught you how to spell "course" and how to use semicolons properly.

If you have a different point of view, fine, but why can't you pay attention to the conversation and respond accordingly? You come on here and ask why it's a bad idea when the thread is littered with suggestions as to why. Further, you suggest that weight-cutting results in an unfair advantage, something that has also been addressed on this thread.

If it affects the fighters performance (a dubious point), it should be looked at, otherwise everyone plays under the same rules.

Does anyone have a reason why my idea about using an electronic device to determine that both fighters are equally hydrated wouldn't work?

It seems like when someone makes a stupid comment there are 10 people ready to jump on and call them stupid, But valid points often go ignored and undiscussed.