Weight in grappling vs. striking

Is it harder to defeat a bigger man using striking than grappling?

I've been reading some of the latest "streetfighting" threads here and therefore I post this question.

I have felt it myself that it's quite possible to defeat a bigger man using grappling, so obviously, considerable size can be overcome on the ground. But I've heard some people say that SIZE MATTERS MORE IN STRIKING THAN IN GROUND FIGHTING. Is there any truth to that? What are your opinions on this?

Also, my comment number 2:

Don't get me wrong. I love boxing and plan to learn more of it this summer. But I also love grappling. Currently, I'm an active grappler and a keyboard-warrier boxer :)

People are saying that you shouldn't go to the ground in a streetfight, but for the humor of it, take a look at the latest streetfighting clip on www.subfighter.tv and see that probably each and every one of these fights could have been won by ca. 2 years of solid ground fighting experience. There were no multiple attackers in those fights. Everyone just stood by and watched. Some people like to only interfere with fights if they go "out of hand". The only thing going on was testosterone, haymakers and headlocks.

I haven't really been thinking about this for some time, but, if someone "were to attack me", I'd have two choices as a grappler:

A) Risk striking with my attacker and probably get hurt because I know very little striking and street fighters more often than not pick on smaller guys than themselves, so I'd probably be a bit smaller than him.

B) Risk going to the ground and probably not get hurt by him, but perhaps getting hurt by his "friends".

To me, it looks like it's more likely for me to get hurt in option A), so I might very well take the fight to the ground.

:)

And now, play nice...

Da Swede: Thanks for a good answer.

Thanks for the counter argument, YF.

Yeah, I've been planning to cash in for some of his stuff for some time, but lately, I've haven't really been thinking much about "streetfighting". I've just been having fun with grappling and trying to get better at it, as simple as that.

Cheers, man.

"I have felt it myself that it's quite possible to defeat a bigger man using grappling, so obviously, considerable size can be overcome on the ground. But I've heard some people say that SIZE MATTERS MORE IN STRIKING THAN IN GROUND FIGHTING. Is there any truth to that? What are your opinions on this? "

Let me start off by saying good post. I think it totally depends on what your attackers skills are, and his level of athleticism. I've always been taught to take an attacker out of his game. If he is trying to wrestle, box him out, if he is trying to box, wrestle him down, that type of thing. You should be able to either strike or grapple in a self-defense situation, even better to tie the two together. Just about everybody is bigger then me so I have to be faster and more skilled if I want to stand a chance. If some guy is bigger, but has poor balance and movement, that size advantage can actually work against him, i.e. by me utilizing his momentum. However, if he is bigger and athletic, (good balance good movement) it becomes MUCH harder to to use simple throws/trips. Thus a quick right hand to the nose becomes very valuable. Willingly going to the ground in a streetfight is not recomended, you should do whatever you can to stay on your feet. If you are brought to the ground that is a different story, obviously you should know what to do. There are ways to grapple without going to the ground however, especially against untrained, poorly balanced attackers. Remember also that your not trying to win a streetfight, you are trying to survive. So trying to "submit" an opponent on the street is kind of fruitless. Nobody is going to let you choke out their friend or beat his head into the sidewalk. You can NEVER be sure a fight will stay one on one. In self-defense you should use whatever is available and whatever will be the most effecient techniques to facilitate your survival.

Thanks, Sambist007.

The main thing I worry about in grappling in a "streetfight" is getting bit, especially if for some reason I can't gain control and wind up on the bottom.

Oh I got bit when I was on top once. I was going for a sidechoke and the guy almost bit my pectoral off. Learned me a lesson real quick.

ttt