Weight training for striking!!!!

I have heard that it's not good to do weight training for boxing. Any one here have any good insight on the subject??

How about for kicking??

Weights don't hit back.

I get good sparring. Sould I be hitting the weights also?

For USA Boxing coach certification, you must attend a seminar every two years. They show a tape discussing Holyfield's rise from crusierweight to heavy. They said just be sure to hit the focus mitts or do some crisp shadow boxing or even work the bag, just keep it quick not lethargic. Try to work the fast twitch muscles not the weight lifting muscles. LIke Seifer said, lifting explosively or "plyometricly" is better for striking. Mass and strength are good too though.

Most of your power comes from your hips and stomach.
Believe it or not, one of the best ways to get power in your
midsection isn't doing a bunch of sit ups, it's doing lifts like
deadlifts and squats without a belt. Just be careful. lLook at
all the people who are known for their psychotic punching or
kicking power and they're likely to have big, strong
midsections. ately, I like a hip adduction machine for the little
kicking muscles too.

Darkson,
I finally caught your kickboxing fight on sunshine network last night. Damn bro, I knew you could grapple but I didnt know you could throw hands like that. Nice.

Todd

The more force you can generate the stronger the strike. However, a lot of traditional boxing coaches are against heavy weight training. These are the reasons I've been given:

1) bigger muscles burn more fuel and use more energy than smaller muscles so you'll gas faster unless you reall work your cardio

2) The average amateur boxer is underweight for his height. This means it's not uncommon for a guy who's 5'10" to fight at 155lbs (for example) or even lighter. So, a shorter and heavier (because of muscle mass) person will end up fighting someone with a signifigant reach and hight advantage

Thanks Todd. Where you been at lately?? I hope to get on the next card for that event next month.

thanks for the input guys!

anymore info??

"2) The average amateur boxer is underweight for his height. This means it's not uncommon for a guy who's 5'10" to fight at 155lbs (for example) or even lighter. So, a shorter and heavier (because of muscle mass) person will end up fighting someone with a signifigant reach and hight advantage"

Yes, but if you're not worried about going up a weight class, but instead just making yourself a better fighter (as most people here probably are), this point is moot.

Darkson,
My schedule at work has changed to 1:30-10pm. So the only day I can train is Saturday. Hope it changes soon.

I remember Holyfield was weight training with bodybuilding legend Lee Haney for a while.

Linkage is soooooo correct!

*edited because I can't type for sh!t

Atilda, I don't disagree with you, but was just relaying what I was told by more than one boxing trainer. Where I trained, you'd weigh in twice every workout, before and after training. Both boxing coaches thought I had really good power for my size, but were always encouraging me to lose weight, in order to be truly competitve (replace competitive with win convincingly). I'm 5'8.25" and walk around between 157-160 lbs at 7% body fat. I carry most of my "weight" in my back and legs. I just don't think a lot of old school boxing coaches understand the traning concepts of the modern athelete.

I use and elastic band, wrap it around a pole and throw jabs, and straight punches and it creates resistance while in punching motions, it helps i think.

"Linkage is soooooo correct!"

Darn tootin':

Mike Tyson, Ernesto Hoost, Fedor, Bernardo, Cikatic, all immediately come to mind.

Linkage is correct.

I train with a powerlifting champ (doing like 750lb deadlifts), and he is an absolute beast and it's because of his incredibly strong lower back. Same with guys at lighter weights, the ones with the strongest core strength are the toughest to roll with.