Went to AKA Thailand recently. Questions?

I've been meaning to post this for a while. I went to AKA Thailand for almost a month in January, so if anyone has any questions about it I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.

I did mostly the muay Thai classes but also did some of the MMA classes. I'm at a lower intermediate level I would say, in no way amazing. I'm 44 and was only in fair shape so I was pushed really hard every day which I like up to a certain point. I also have asthma. So if any of you doubt if you can pull it off I bet you can and you will be really happy with yourself and see this as a big accomplishment. 

It is a pretty great facility, clean and modern. The MMA and BJJ are is indoors and air conditioned (or at least cool) which is nice, especially for those doing go BJJ. The muay thai area is outdoors but covered so protected from the rain.

Instructors were all great. They were nice and taught me a lot. They recognized my limitations (age, conditioning, etc) but would still push me, just not over the edge.

Because the restaurant was beside the muay Thai area, I would hit it up after the afternoon session and this is where I would meet people and mingle. It was pretty easy to meet people if you are sort of outgoing. Many people there are by themselves so most people wouldn't mind making new friends and seeing the sights around Phuket together.  Restaurant is really good btw, but maybe it is because you just finished burning a million calories!

The MT sessions were 2 hours! That was crazy, at least for me. But I felt so good that I had made it all the way through afterwards, definitely a good feeling. I had my hardest training session ever while at AKA. It was super hot, my body probably worn down, I kept thinking I had to stop but I kept powering through. I thought we were almost done and the end was in sight, then they sent me for another round of sparring. I didn't think I could do it let alone survive. Somehow in did and then was ready for it all to be done. But then they got us doing clinch fighting with a partner for another 15 minutes or so which is incredibly taxing. I made it through that horrible session and that was my proudest accomplishment.

Mike Swick was around a lot which was cool.

I rented a scooter while I was there. Terrifying for first day or so, then you get a hang of how the insane traffic works there. I had never driven one before but got used to it fairly quickly. They do take your passport and there is no insurance so beware of that. I did go back after a week or two and asked to see my passport and it was all cool, no issues getting it back after either. I once was going through a crazy traffic circle with a truck beside me with a monkey in the back looking at me. Love it. 

I stayed in a couple different hotels, all far enough away that I needed the scooter to get to AKA. There is a hotel right beside it up a steep hill but it was full. May be pricey for a long stay for some.

Massages: it was amazing to get a full on workout, eat good quality food and then get an hour long massage to help soothe the aching body. Specify that you want a "sports" massage or a harder massage, otherwise you may get a pansy ass tourist massage that does nothing. They are dirt cheap and are everywhere.

I only went out boozing one night, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about the nightlife.

If I remember more I'll post more.

Questions?

"Questions?"

About that massage...

Also, how much for a Rusty Trombone over there? 

Awesome mate. Sound's like you had a great time.

What kind of price did you pay while you was out there if you don't mind me asking. Food, rent, training. Don't need to include the lady boy prices though ;)

TTT 

How hard was the sparring? Did you get matched up by skill level?

and of course want to know if you getting a happy ending with these massages?? Lol

Awesome. Thanks for the good info. I've thought about doing the same thing myself. In muay thai did they make you run a bunch of miles every day?

I was there for 3 months February-may.

Loved it !

Same here as far as night life goes..
Only went out twice to drink while I was there..

The Muay Thai classes were hot and muggy as hell but was always fun !.

Loved the camp. Loved the coaches. Loved the people.

BigJohnSTEWD - 

and of course want to know if you getting a happy ending with these massages?? Lol

The MMA sparring is (1) very intense; (2) flexible. If you need to go lighter, you can go lighter. Just tell Marcio or Swick.

Muay Thai: matched by skill.

Sounds cool

Dead Rabbits - What was the ladyboy scene like?

Ha, the lady boy scene was pretty active the one night I went out. I was pretty surprised how many there were. I stayed clear of that and just focused on getting properly loaded.

MMA Playwright -

Also, how much for a Rusty Trombone over there? 

'bout tree fitty, but they'll throw one in for free if you buy sunglasses from them on the beach...

Berser_KED - Awesome mate. Sound's like you had a great time.

What kind of price did you pay while you was out there if you don't mind me asking. Food, rent, training. Don't need to include the lady boy prices though ;)

The first hotel i stayed at was called Kata Country House and i just booked it through Expedia. Like, the day before i left. I just checked Expedia now and it says it is around C$20/night. I went in peak season though so it was more, can't remember how much but I wouldn't think it would have been more than C$50/night. My room was pretty basic, but all I needed. And the place has a pool and was nice.

Food: I would eat dinner at AKA mostly. For breakfast I would shop the night before and get hard boiled eggs, cheese, almonds and yogurt from 7-11 and keep it cold in the fridge in my room (and away from giant cockroaches!). Fairly cheap way to go. Lunch I would just eat at some restaurant wherever I was walking around. I meant to keep track of how much I spent on meals but I forgot, sorry.

Training: the training cost is on their web site. I think I got the "martial arts" package which is 3,500 baht, so about C$130 per week. I bought a week at a time in case i didnt like it or wantednto try another place, but i liked it so much i never went anywhere else.

wiggum -
BigJohnSTEWD - 

The MMA sparring is (1) very intense; (2) flexible. If you need to go lighter, you can go lighter. Just tell Marcio or Swick.

Muay Thai: matched by skill.

The days I did MMA it was more technical training on specific things. Like a specific counter to a strike or getting top mount. So I didn't get to do any MMA sparring. But I imagine it was like the muay thai sparring.

MT was fairly well matched by your level. Although once they needed one more body in the ring so he sent me with the guys who have actual MT fights and he told me to tell them to go easy on me, which was pretty funny. I survived that luckily ;)  The way our level of sparring should work is you don't try to kill the other guy, start fairly easy and both should read the other's ability to see how intense it should get up to. I found most people kept to that approach, we'll, except for many Russians who seemed to try to take your head off if they could. When a bunch of us would talk after class I think we all had stories about a Russian that had just tried to kill us during sparring. But it was all good.

We definitely wore shin pads and mouth guard. But no headgear.

The people ranged from absolute beginners (literally their first class in MT) to actual fighters, so the instructors are well aware of splitting it up properly. 

Bullwinkle - Awesome. Thanks for the good info. I've thought about doing the same thing myself. In muay thai did they make you run a bunch of miles every day?

No there was no required run at AKA, which was good since I have injury issues where I wouldn't have been able to do it. Some people skip the instructor's warm-up and go for a run, but I think those are the people who are the actual AKA fighters. We do a 15 minute slow run around the training area however, but that is it for running. Growing up running was my main sport (ok, other than hockey!) but now it is a struggle!

But on Saturday morning there is a big run that they do, but that is optional.

AllNightLong - I was there for 3 months February-may.

Loved it !

Same here as far as night life goes..
Only went out twice to drink while I was there..

The Muay Thai classes were hot and muggy as hell but was always fun !.

Loved the camp. Loved the coaches. Loved the people.

Wow that's awesome that you got to do 3 months there, I'm jealous! Glad you had a good experience too.

Yah I struggled with the heat. I'm from Canada so I'm a pussy in the heat and humidity. I would drink about 4 litres of water during class alone!

Actually that is another good point to anyone going to Thailand, make sure to bring lots of bottles of water to your first class, they don't give you any!

Dead Rabbits -
Cailloux -
Dead Rabbits - What was the ladyboy scene like?

Ha, the lady boy scene was pretty active the one night I went out. I was pretty surprised how many there were. I stayed clear of that and just focused on getting properly loaded.

It was difficult but I was still able to jerk off to your asexual story

Asexual?!?!   I did mention the monkey in the back of the pick up truck...

In for what seems like a great and helpful thread.

Dead Rabbits - What was the ladyboy scene like?

Quality of instruction compared to your school here?