Werdum on PFL 6 withdrawal - MRI Showed Brain Swelling

1 Like

One week after MMA Fighting first reported the Brazilian fighter would not be able to return to action just seven weeks after being stopped via TKO by Renan Ferreira, a result later overturned to a no-decision, “Vai Cavalo” released a statement on what stopped him from re-entering the cage.

According to the statement released by Rayssa Kussama, Werdum’s PR rep in Brazil, the fighter’s neurologist, Dr. Wuilker Knoner Campos, did tests after the Ferreira fight and decided not to allow the former UFC champ to return to training due to swelling in the brain.

Kussama did not say exactly what part of the brain in which the swelling occurred, but said it was around the temple area. That part of the head is associated with the temporal lobes, which are responsible for processing auditory information, memories, emotions and certain parts of visual perception.

1 Like

“I’ve hidden many injuries to be able to fight when I was in my 20s, but now I need to prioritize my health and listen to the [doctor],” Werdum stated in the release. “I want to be able to enjoy my daughters and see them growing, and that’s the right thing to do at the moment. I’m fine, and I’ll be able to return to training soon.”

Werdum’s U.S. manager, Ali Abdelaziz, didn’t immediately return a request for comment.

Werdum won’t be able to compete for points and a spot in the heavyweight playoffs this year. It’s still unclear when he will be fully cleared to train and prepare for another fight. With Werdum out, Sayles will now meet Denis Goltsov at PFL 6.

A former UFC heavyweight champion, Werdum has amassed an impressive 24-9-1-1 record in almost 20 years as a professional MMA fighter, losing suffering only three knockouts losses to Alexander Volkov, Stipe Miocic, and Junior dos Santos

1 Like

ttt

Yeah,he wants to see his daughters grow,now that he found about his brain,otherwise he would of just kept on fighting,without watching his daughters grow.

1 Like

Werdum has nothing to prove. One of the best HW fighters/grapplers of all time.

5 Likes

Amen

ttt

Hmmm, wouldn’t be surprised if this was some fuckery of some kind. Like this diagnosis in particular getting him out of something contractual.

Just seems kind of weird to be like, yo my brain is swelling, can’t fight bro.

its called being smart, no reason for him to keep fighting, he doesnt need the money and should make health his #1 priority

1 Like

No chance, man’s been getting smacked in the head for a long time. He’s a real vet and should hang it up whenever he feels like he should. You don’t mess around with dodgy MRI scans.