What do you do?

I know this is an odd question but here goes. You know that rut I'm sure we all hit at different points during our training, the one where you feel like you mentaly understand the tech. but when you try to apply it it just goes south (every single time). What would be a good training tip for me to pull myself out of this trench I'm digging?

repetitions imo...and just sometimes good old asking "how do i do that again" a million times work for me

name of the game is to relax and contemplate the move BEFORE u get there or use one move as a setup for what you really want.

SoB - You know that rut I'm sure we all hit at different points during our training, the one where you feel like you mentaly understand the tech. but when you try to apply it it just goes south (every single time). What would be a good training tip for me to pull myself out of this trench I'm digging?

Step 1. Stop watching Sub101 videos.
Step 2. Ask your instructor
Step 3. ??
Step 4-6. Profit.

(Just kidding, man, happens to me all the time; I usually focus on one aspect of the technique, e.g., the entry or set-up and make sure I'm doing that properly - even if the rest of your technique gets shut down. Then go step by step and slowly add to it. Or, ask your instructor).

Thanks guys for the tips. I'll give'em a shot. It just seems like my mind works faster than my body when I roll. lol

Just keep rolling.

Don't get hung up on tapping people or pulling off techs. Sometimes it just won't work. And all of a sudden shit will start clicking.

You might try visiting another school or simply mixing it up with someone a bit above your skill level and keeping the intensity around 75%.

All of the above have worked well for me along with drills and games out the anus.

And you might want to step back and look at your training and see if you are trying to accumulate too many techniques too fast.

I've seen a lot of good players turn into technique collectors and then their game stagnates. And since they are so hung up on the new and improved tech they learned they fail to go back to their old bread and butter moves.

Just keep rolling bro... it will click sooner or later.. I pick weaks parts of my game and concentrate on them when Im rollin gwith a lower level guy. I play my game agreesively when Im going aginst someone near my level or a little better and I hit the ol Defense hard when getting run over buy a high level guy...
Also when Im in class and we roll at the end I try hard to hit the "move of the day" its something we all started doing to each other a couple of months ago.. It makes rollin fun..you hit it and hear someone watching go ohhhhh u just got the move of the day done to you and everyone laughs..just a fun way to mix things up..

Mule - And you might want to step back and look at your training and see if you are trying to accumulate too many techniques too fast.

Trust me, that is definitely not this guy's problem. I show him great stuff all the time, and he just looks at me in disgust. Which it's probably because I don't know what I'm doing, and my stuff only works for "fat people".

Is it a particular technique that you are having trouble with, or applying technique in general?

If it is a specific technique, discuss it with your instructor, drill it, and see if it fits your bodytype/game.

If it is technique in general, then I would say you just need more mat time and drilling.

Practice, drills, repititions. Muscles haven't caught up to your mind. Slow is fast.

You could also let that technique go for a bit and work on another one of interest. Or, look to patch any holes in your game from a certain position.

Definitely mat time will help if you can't apply a technique - personally, to break it down even further I begin to observe myself and try to remember what's happening when I apply the move.

i.e. (butterfly sweep)

1. Get to butterfly guard
2. Get my over/under hook
3. I lay back and go for sweep
4. Get passed

So at this point I know I got to the "setup" point correctly. I will remember what is it my opponent did to me.

5. Opponent drove my backward, flattened me out and passed.

I'd go to my instructor and explain what happens. I get to here and I'm going for the sweep but so and so does this to me and I get passed. Your instructor might tell you, don't lay back flat when you're going for the butterfly sweep, you need to stay in a ball so you're sort of rolling over your shoulders and really lifting with your hooks(feet) and maintaining control of their upperboddy with your over/under hook.

Now that you've discovered what you might be doing wrong the next 100x you try to sweep you'll consciously think about not laying back flat when going for the butterfly sweep.

Hope that makes some sense.