What is Islam doing against the fence to people?

For the past 5 years or so, the fence has been the salvation of downed fighters. If you’re a striker and you get taken down, get yourself back over to the fence, wall walk up and you’re right back up on your feet. Izzy did it to Whittaker several times and that is just an example.

Now if Islam takes you down against the fence, you are not getting back up. What is he doing differently?

1 Like

Its crazy he goes from takedown to full mount almost instantly when he has your back laying against the fence

Chael did an interesting video on his cage takedowns, similar ballpark

1 Like

Interesting overview by Chael. Probably a lot of grappling are studying this issue.

In

He used a pretty cool trip to get Bobby off balance I liked. He’s real crafty

I’m genuinely perplexed at how these guys get as much credit as they do.

Russian athletes have been caught on almost every occasion cheating. These dagastanis DC likes to felatiate are all 100% on something. Caught? No. Statistically however, Russia is known for producing world class athletes by way of cheating. Look at their damn figure skater ffs.

There’s a reason they’re so dominant, and feel so “strong” on the ground.

2 Likes

That’s a good point I’ve never thought of honestly. The techniques they use are unique but wildly effective for individuals with superior strength

Most UFC athletes are on something these days. Playing field is even as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

Russia is known for producing world class athletes who also cheat.* If you know a single thing about grappling, you can only watch Khabib and Islam’s technique with absolute awe.

2 Likes

poirier was asked if khabib was very strong. he said no, normal strength, but uses his weight really well

1 Like

Trips seem severely underused in MMA

2 Likes

A lot of modern “world class” mma fighters aren’t proficient grapplers. They can spaz their way out of bad positions with athleticism and general knowledge, but once they encounter guys who really know what they’re doing they’re easily stifled.

1 Like

Now I feel like a hater. I didn’t see he said that

1 Like

Watch the qualifying rounds of IBJJF Worlds or first rounds in ADCC. Yes everyone won trials to get to the big stage, but the best guys under that ruleset vs the good guys under that ruleset is night and day. Case in point, Ben Hodgkinson vs Gordon Ryan. Ben ran through everyone at Kazakhstan Oceania trials, earning an invite directly from Mo, yet Gordon dispatched him in under 2 minutes at ADCC, and made it look easy.

And Ben is an exceptionally talented grappler.

Arguably one of the carryover benefits of training gi. Rolling around/standing up or any other typical spaz escape is way easier to deal with. Takes much more knowledge and technical proficiency to pull off escapes and deal with shitty positions. Keeps you very honest positionally.

2 Likes