What is your definition of RANGE?

Range seems to have several different definitions depending upon from which tradition, style, or method your orientation derives.

What is your definition of RANGE,

how does your definition impact your combative strategy, and

what drills do you use to train your definition of RANGE so that you increase your effectiveness?

Big question. A general answer would be in-range is close enough that I can close in and hit/kick or grab you with very little movement from me (a quick step/slide or something that allows me to attack quickly)

More specific would be looking at many definitions.

Safe range is a distance where someone has to take two full steps to strike. This gives the defender an oppertunity to stay out of danger.

Next is Danger range. Thats one full step out. The attacker can be fast enough to cover that distance and attack. This can be a quick shuffle kick, a cross over motion or other footwork to close that distance.

Then you have fireing range. Some one should be getting hit at this distance, no closeing movement is nessesary. From here you can reach out and touch someone. grab them, trap, throw...

The next ranges to look at are full strikes, quarter/oppertunity strikes (elbows or other strikes flowing from full strikes), throwing range, grappling range, sweeping range....

Range is just another arbitrary reference system. A way of mentally dividing reality so it can be more easily understood. Think about it, what are some of the most unstoppable shoots in MMA? Those counters to attacks at "kicking range"? Knees and elbows are powerfull, but they become deadly when used against someone who thinks he is no longer in "striking range". Reality says that I may kick you in the clinch, or tackle or punch when you try to kick. I believe Oleg got knocked out by believing in a "grappling range" when a certain Gracie felt like kicking. Obviously there are some real physical limits, but fairly often, the limits of range are only perceptual.

DK, great response - Tactical rather than Technical Ranges. What Dynamic Drills, such as Scenario construction, do you use to train this?

Streetwise, I agree - Range Compression and Transcending Range are highly important. What drills do you use to make that a reality with your athletes?

That is the kicker, isn't it? I have not had much luck with imparting Range Compression and Transcending Range (man, you guys have GREAT terminology for everything!). I work hard on it in all sorts of drills that are designed to work other attributes, but it seems to be more of a mindset than anything else, as most of the guys just fall back on a favorite range and group of techniques whenever they are pressed.

Streetwise, I agree. That IS the key. What if there were specific drills to impact that mindset? Wouldn't that be an instant accelerant to performance?

Anyone else want to inject a few drills that they use for Range Compression and Transcending Range? How do YOU deliberately and systematically make the mindset a physical reality?

When I want to close the range I am aggressive. I use a shuffle. Forward leg slides back - rear leg crosses in front. This actually gets you closer without the opponent realizing it. When you step forward with the foward leg you are now a full step closer. I try to do this while throwing my lead hand to the face creating a distraction and attention is on my upper body and not the lower.

So as the forward leg slides back, simultaneously throw a lead hand backfist, as the hand is going out you are also crossing the back leg in front of the lead.

Now as he places a hand out there to stop your backfist, step out with the lead. You are on top of him. From this position many things can happen. I like to chase legs, when I step out it is usually into a lead leg sweep, my backfist turns into a grab (anything I can get my hands on) and my back hand is following in fast and hard on an off balance body that I have a hold of.

Or you can step out, now closer and you have his center line crossed or dominated (depending on what leg he has forward) You have your lead hand hitting or holding him (I like to grab) and you have exploded on top of him, from here you can abuse him with strikes, throws or whatever you want.

The same shuffle works for kicks, slide the front leg back, cross with the back leg in front of that foot. Now you have covered distance with the image of not doing so. Let the front leg go with a powerful round house kick and you are now on top of him.

The key to making this work is be very fluid, smooth and explosive. If you are not fluid through out the entire movement he will hit you half way through.

BTW timing is right up there.