What make Alliance so good?

I'll bet money, figuratively speaking, that Atos will split. I say either the Mendes' brothers or Deco will go first.

Barry Soetoro Jr - Train harder meaning longer and with more intensity. At CC and NU we train 1 hour a piece and less cardio than Alliance where trainings are 2 hours a piece. (Though these are individual academies and probably don't represent every club.)

it represents most in my experience. At our Alliance academy the beginners (white belts with no stripes) do a 1hr class, but intermediate and up (2stripe white and up in terms of belt rank) all do 2+ hr long class. We also have specific focused training before rolls as well. Its never a easy night, be you a competitive athlete or just a person who wants to train. And if competitions are coming up, you can bet your ass we make sure the people going to compete are more than prepared.

I don't see Atos splitting, I do envision guys leaving the team, ie Durinho. WIth so many good guys being in their lighter divisions, i'm sure they are going to leave so they can get a chance to win championships without having to bow down to someone else on the team. Also Sergio Moraes has been fighting in the medio-heavy and marcelo fights in medio so I don't see Sergio taking Marcelos place.

Not counting guys that have left to open their own academy like Marcelo in New York or Cobrinha in Los Angeles. Do most of their top guys train in Atlanta or Brazil?

the difference for me between the gym i was at before and alliance is the length of time on drilling and the type of drilling.

we work on a lot of passing and the drills and classes run a bit longer, it seems like training is 15% submissions, 85% passing and sweeps. there is no consistent format, sometimes we can work a movement for half an hour.

gusto -

and take drugs like pro athletes

need to find any reason why other people are better than you?

yeah, marcelo roids out the ass

gtfo

Decado24 - Not counting guys that have left to open their own academy like Marcelo in New York or Cobrinha in Los Angeles. Do most of their top guys train in Atlanta or Brazil?

At the black belt level, out of Alliance Sao Paolo. The Alliance SP guys to come up to Atlanta and other Alliance spots (namely Marcelo, Cobrinha's, and Atlanta).
Chris Moriarity was/is probably Master Jacare's best American BB student. Chris stopped competing.

From white to brown, both the states and Sao Paolo.

Out of curiosity, why did Chris stop competing? Did he go to grad school?

I think Alliance's recent success can be attributed to the fall of TT. Cobrinha, Langhi bros, Lepri are all huge additions. After they started winning, guys like Faria and Malfacine joined as well.

I think Cobrinha, for one, made Atlanta so much better. I knew a guy from Atlanta who trained at the pre-Cobrinha Alliance and he wasn't singing a lot of praise about the academy. But once Cobrinha went over there he brought with him another level of BJJ and work ethic. Now they have a lot of young killer Americans(Schultz, Baulding, etc) who are tearing it up in big competitions.

Barry Soetoro Jr - I've trained with a Carlson Gracie team, a Nova Uniao tean and an Alliance team, and the Alliance guys just train harder than the others.

I've been to the one in Altanta, the rolls there did feel like life or death. Phone Post

ogjune - Out of curiosity, why did Chris stop competing? Did he go to grad school?

I think Alliance's recent success can be attributed to the fall of TT. Cobrinha, Langhi bros, Lepri are all huge additions. After they started winning, guys like Faria and Malfacine joined as well.

I think Cobrinha, for one, made Atlanta so much better. I knew a guy from Atlanta who trained at the pre-Cobrinha Alliance and he wasn't singing a lot of praise about the academy. But once Cobrinha went over there he brought with him another level of BJJ and work ethic. Now they have a lot of young killer Americans(Schultz, Baulding, etc) who are tearing it up in big competitions.

I think Chris is going to medical school.

TT fall helped. Restructuring helped. Pre-Cobrinha was hard. Jacare is not an easy task master. The man makes you bleed for every ounce of jiu jitsu. I say with addition of Cobrinha, the more competitive nature of the school came out. Someone posted rolling is like life and death. That is spot on! Now with Lepri on board, I say the trend continues.

glad Lucas will be there as a few of us will roll down to Atlanta to train on Saturdays from now on lol.

SleepBomb - 
gusto -

gtfo

i dont care who does PEDs.

I dont know if Marcelo takes Peds or if he doesnt. Have you administered a blood test to him that you are not making public

Jeff Glover admitted to using Peds and is less muscular than Garcia, so I hope you arent going off of looks

You can make all the personal attacks you want, Id wager money that if randomly tested blood/piss, more medalists than not would come back positive

^^^ Why bring it up? PEDs in BJJ has been discussed ad nauseum. If you believe that almost everyone at the top level is using, then how is it relevant to a thread on why one particular team does better than everyone else?

Muffinho - ^^^ Why bring it up? PEDs in BJJ has been discussed ad nauseum. If you believe that almost everyone at the top level is using, then how is it relevant to a thread on why one particular team does better than everyone else?

it is only one part of my first response. my overall response was one of "professionalism"

ignore or disagree with my post, fine

gusto - 
SleepBomb - 
gusto -

gtfo

i dont care who does PEDs.

I dont know if Marcelo takes Peds or if he doesnt. Have you administered a blood test to him that you are not making public

Jeff Glover admitted to using Peds and is less muscular than Garcia, so I hope you arent going off of looks

You can make all the personal attacks you want, Id wager money that if randomly tested blood/piss, more medalists than not would come back positive
how is it a personal attack? these people are better than you.

fact is, when you say roids you basically are saying if they didn't do them they would not win. kinda like saying they do not have technique.

now, are you saying that only alliance does them and GB, ATOS, Lloyd, checkmat, and Gracie humaita do not do them?

Or do you think that everyone not on a soapbox does them, in which case why point out that alliance is on the roids since everyone is?

you just want to take a cheap shot at a whole team based on hearsay. I guess that is cool.

QAM256 - Bombas Phone Post

Lulz Phone Post

I interviewed Andre galvao on my podcast and he said that he knows a lot of guys that would come back positive for ped's. For whatever that's worth.

As far as why alliance is so good. There's no secret. Good drilling, good instruction, critically thinking about jiu-jitsu and more specifically sport bjj. Think people forget malfacine came from GFT and cobrinha was under terere. If your talented and work hard you will do well. Alliance just puts it all together there's no big mystery. Phone Post