What’s Max’s Next Move?

I know we don’t like mma math mate but volk owned him. And Islam owned volk

He’s also nowhere near number 1 contender at LW.

chandler is even ahead of him

I don’t mean from a MMAth perspective, I’d argue the second Volk/Islam fight is a throwaway though due to the circumstances, he gave him all he could handle in the first fight. Maybe Islam widened the gap that much in 6 months, maybe Volk finally showed his age, maybe he wasn’t prepared and ate one; we’ll never know.

And I get he’s nowhere near #1 contender but Dustin getting the shot is lunacy and just timing, that’s clearly Arman’s shot now (although being picky again I really wish that fight with Charles had been 5 rounds). Some performances just put you over though and Max last weekend did for me.

No matter what both divisions look way better now than they did a week ago. Lots of good parody now, Aljo is at 145, Lopes looks like a top ten guy, nothing but good matchups to make.

1 Like

Very true I didnt take into account the short notice and IV +extra time to rehydrate etc.

Id love to see Max take it to Islam - that wrestling heavy style just worries me.

You are also right, both divisions just became the most exciting in the UFC after the weekend

1 Like

Same, Islam is top dog right now. Max has hung with every elite grappler he’s faced though and the last time he was outwrestled handily was like 10 years ago against Bermudez. Wins over Edgar, Ortega, Lamas, not like he hasn’t outclassed elite grapplers. He’s hard to get a hold of, I think a lot of people are selling him short in that matchup.

1 Like

Max can’t hang with Islam in the grappling department like Volk did and nothing we’ve ever seen from Max can dispute that.

1 Like

Oh shit you’re right ho[quote=“Nick_Diaz_Army, post:17, topic:3865187, full:true”]

I guess you missed ufc 299 playa :joy::joy:

IMG_6880

IMG_6881
[/quote]

w did I forget about that epic come rom behind win

2 Likes

What makes you think Volk is that superior to Max at grappling?

1 Like

Volk was able to hang with Islam on the ground and he survived two nasty submissions by Ortega

1 Like

Max is fucking huge. I saw him vs Zombie live the guy doesn’t have a single ounce of fat on him, he doesn’t look big on TV but he looked like welterweight to me

1 Like

His first fight with Islam, his domination of others on the ground such as Yair, Ortega and some other lesser known guys earlier in his UFC career.

Contrast that with Max being dominated on the ground by Mcgregor (yes I know he is a different fighter now, still not good).

No one thought Volk would be able to hang with Islam in the clinch and on the ground as well as he did so who knows, maybe Max would surprise us as well but I don’t see it.

Would be cool to know the year this was taken. Max is not wide but thick beeeep

First thing he should do is change his nickname to “Mad” Max Holloway

1 Like

They only give those jobs to women these days.

#equality

Might as well mention Islam getting KOd by… I forgot who it was! So by that logic, Max should easily knock him out in seconds. And they’re both different fighters now, Conor was elite before the coke train got rolling.

I wouldn’t pick Max over Islam but saying he shouldn’t get a shot because you think he’d get outwrestled is just silly. He just beat Gaethje’s ass, and the guy Gaethje just knocked out is getting a third title shot, which is fine but saying Max doesn’t deserve it when that’s the state of the division right now just doesn’t have anything backing it.

I love Max but he’s 0-2 against Poirier.

But yeah, I honestly don’t see either guy beating Islam unfortunately. I’d be ecstatic if either could pull it off.

He looks exotic enough

max is streamer
https://kick.com/maxholloway

lol I expected a reply like this.

Volk > Max in grappling and physical strength. Accept it and move on.

btw never said he didn’t deserve it and I also think Islam fighting Poirier next is bullshit. All I said is Max would get taken down and subbed which he would. I said I’d rather see him fight Ilia for that reason.

Pretty hard lean towards Ilia from Luke. Thinks people are going on vibes vs styles for Max.