What the McGregor Fight Showed Us

I watched the fight while traveling and haven't had a chance to read much internet commentary (other than Jack Slack's article). I think the coolest part of the McGregor/Mendes fight is that it proved both doubters and supporters right and makes McGregor/Aldo and McGregor/Edgar even more compelling fights. I watched it a second time. Here are what I thought the big questions were and the conclusions I've reached:

(1) Why did Mendes lose?

When I first watched the fight, I was positive Mendes suffered from an adrenaline dump. So early into the fight, his movement essentially stopped and McGregor started eating him up. It didn't make sense to me - even if he wasn't in shape, it was too early to feel the effects. However, upon rewatching, it became clear that Conor ate his body up almost immediately. This won him the fight. I can't imagine Mendes not winning that guillotine scramble in round two if he weren't beaten up from the body shots. Just like Jones did to DC, Conor set the foundation for his win with body work. I would not blame that loss on a short training camp or being out of shape. However, with adjustments and better game-planning, he could possibly beat McGregor in a rematch.

(2) How is McGregor's wrestling?

It's not good. But neither was Anderson Silva's and he had a top 3 all-time career and beat up Chael Sonnen and Dan Henderson. A very tired Chad Mendes was able to take him down relatively easily and hold him down.

(3) How is McGregor's grappling?

Competent, but not excellent. He was able to survive in the guard and not eat too much damage and eventually get back to his feet. However, his scrambling seems excellent and that really matters.

(4) What makes McGregor so good?

Excellent standup and an incredible mentality. That he was able to pop up after the scramble in round 2 and go immediately after Mendes without a moment's loss of confidence showed a true championship mindset. It reminded my of Mighty Mouse walking down Dodson after taking a beating, except McGregor is more likely to get a quick finish. Silva Chael 2 might be a better comparison. His chin is also world class.

(5) How does McGregor match up against Frankie and Aldo?

I think this fight made two things clear: First, McGregor is the real deal. Mendes is an absolutely incredible fighter and Conor finished him after 6 months of preparing for a striker. Second, the match-ups with Frankie and Aldo are incredibly compelling. While Chad is incredibly tough, Frankie is one of the most mentally tough fighters to ever compete and it's hard to imagine him being put out so quickly or reacting that way to body shots. Frankie's mental toughness is inhuman. He also might have better movement than Mendes and he closes distance a little better IMO.

For Aldo, it's still a mystery. Two incredible standup fighters with indomitable mental toughness and great chins. I would be very worried for McGregor is Aldo - who is an excellent MMA wrestler - implemented a takedown heavy approach.

(6) Big worries for McGregor?

I'm not under the impression that SBG Ireland has any big time wrestlers - I could be wrong. But I think this is a mistake and he and Gunnar Nelson could both benefit tremendously by having one over there. Maybe Gray Maynard could retire and go into coaching and head over there? Could be a great fit.

A second concern is longevity: Conor's fights depend a lot on his insane chin. How long can he keep that up for? Will it work against Aldo?

Yeah but what did we learn from it?

All of these points have been covered like a gazillion times. Phone Post 3.0

"I'm not under the impression that SBG Ireland has any big time wrestlers - I could be wrong."

Their wrestling coach is from Moldovia. Wich is ranked like 33 (after Denmark) in medal rankings for free/greco. And no mention of him winning any big tournaments, just competing in them.

Safe to say SBGI Ireland could do a lot better. But i suspect they wont change it up until they start losing fights

i think the size advantage has to be mentioned with McGregor as well.

he's a massive FW, and is significantly bigger than Aldo, and has a reach advantgae, as well.

Outlaw'd by Lytle - All of these points have been covered like a gazillion times. Phone Post 3.0

No need to click in, then.

GSPsShadyHandWraps - "I'm not under the impression that SBG Ireland has any big time wrestlers - I could be wrong."

Their wrestling coach is from Moldovia. Wich is ranked like 33 (after Denmark) in medal rankings for free/greco. And no mention of him winning any big tournaments, just competing in them.

Safe to say SBGI Ireland could do a lot better. But i suspect they wont change it up until they start losing fights

Thanks for the info.

He could be excellent. I would say I'm a better coach than my accolades would suggest. But even if he is, increasing the training partners in the room with great wrestling would help a ton. And while Conor hasn't lost, Gunnar was thrown around by Rick Story.

Betwithme - Why don't you tell us what you really think instead of asking us questions? Phone Post 3.0

I get that this is trying to poke fun, but it doesn't even made sense.

I stated very clearly: "Here are what I thought the big questions were and the conclusions I've reached"

wiggum -
Outlaw'd by Lytle - All of these points have been covered like a gazillion times. Phone Post 3.0

No need to click in, then.
I was hoping you'd be making some original points. Phone Post 3.0

We learned that McGregor is the real champ. He showed up on fight night, and TKO'd the guy who gave Aldo 5 hard rounds Phone Post 3.0

VU. All good points, concise and avoids histrionics. Phone Post 3.0

allforroy - VU. All good points, concise and avoids histrionics. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the kind words, Smith. I was a bit taken aback by the hostility. I admitted I hadn't read any of the post-fight analysis and was trying to post my thoughts independent of what had been written.

Regarding the mind games, it seems to be working. Did you see the interview in which Porrier describes how badly it messed with him and his head? Chad definitely seemed to be in a different mindset, too.

I'd say Diaz was incredibly effective with it - moreso than Anderson. But Connor seems to be AT LEAST on that level.

I offer my humble apologies and will exit the thread. Phone Post 3.0