When did you know you were ready to compete?

was there any specific goals you had set for yourself as a white belt before competing?

at what point did you say it was time to step up? Phone Post 3.0

I was 74kg, rather unfit when I came back from a hiatus. Decided to hit 67kg before I'd even think about competing. Five weeks of clean eating and good training later, I hit my goal way sooner than expected and signed up for a local comp. Two weeks later it was a state comp. Nothing matches the rush of competing Phone Post 3.0

There is nothing you can do but get out there. Remember, you're a white belt. There are ZERO expectations for you to do well, just go out there for the experience. Any goals you set before competing are just imaginary hurdles you're putting out for yourself.

Don't make it a bigger deal than it is.

"dont make a bigger deal than it is"

this ^ the more often you compete and the earlier on the more you will be used to it and most likely start enjoying it instead of feeling "stressed" about an upcoming tournament. get out there and compete it is a blast plus you can learn alot from others competeing while your there.

I trained for a year first. Then I just did it.

I never feel ready though but I just do it. You never know just train and go do it. Its fun and the more often you do it the less of a big deal it is.

I never got past my first match in my first 3 comps but I enjoyed them all

Just go out and compete Phone Post 3.0

I competed after training for 2 weeks. I got murderded but no one including myself gives a shit.

Josh Mancuso -

I competed after training for 2 weeks. I got murderded but no one including myself gives a shit.

thanks for the input guys.

I've been on and off for many years and I've always known I wanted to complete, going to do some consistent training for the next 3 months then I'm diving in head first.

I'll make sure to bump this thread when it happens! Phone Post 3.0

Yeah it doesn't matter. It's not like there isn't a local comp every couple of months. Not the end of the world or your only chance. You just gotta show up and have fun. Don't make it a bigger deal than it is. Phone Post 3.0

I first went out when I felt my game stall.
I didn't know whether competing was the answer or not (it was, 100%) to correcting it, but I went for it. Regardless to your match results, you'll realize what you did right and wrong and where you want to tune-up.

i waited until i had 3 stripes on my belt before i competed, thats about the time i felt i could hang with guys getting ready to be promoted to blue belt.

I would have competed after a week. When you've learnt the majority of submissions you need to tap to then you're ready to compete. Who gives a shit if you come last as a white belt.

It's more just for the fun and experience at that level than any competitive goal. Phone Post 3.0

I would get a solid 40-50 classes under your belt, and then go for it. You should have at least have some understanding of all the positions and what to do from each. White belt brackets can be crazy, flailing affairs so I wouldn't go in with only a week or two of experience or you could get injured and you might not get that much benefit from it.

LinkBJJ603 - "dont make a bigger deal than it is"

this ^ the more often you compete and the earlier on the more you will be used to it and most likely start enjoying it instead of feeling "stressed" about an upcoming tournament. get out there and compete it is a blast plus you can learn alot from others competeing while your there.

completely agree with this. its a recreational tournament, it has NO MEANING. learn from the experience and have fun. time and time again i see people stressing and freaking out(myself included when i first started.) there is zero pressure on you.

also id encourage you to find a cheaper local tournament that possibly has double elimination. more bang for your buck. some tournaments are super expensive and its one and done.

I did after 3 months.
I got smashed 19-0 in my first match and then 21-0 in the absolute.

And I was hooked.

Do it now! Phone Post 3.0

I've seen guys take gold as early as 6-12months of consistent training, and others take 2yrs before taking gold. Work on your technique, conditioning and ask your instructor if you can do an upcoming tournament.

As a white belt your first few tourneys might be just about getting rid of the butterflies, and getting experience. It's white belt division only people watching will be your coach, team mates and anyone else you invite. If you get caught in a submission and it's locked just tap don't be a moron, 99% chance no one in the general crowd will remember if you tapped or lost on points but if you get your arm broken or pass out and shit your pantaloons people might remember your loss.

My coach put me in a 4 man Mma tournament at 5 months of training. I knew I was ready to compete when I won both fights. Then I did every grappling tournament I could. "What's the big deal, nobody is trying to take your head off with kicks?" Is how I thought. Phone Post 3.0

just sign up and go compete. dont put much thought into it...

I can tell you when I realized I shouldn't have competed. It was about 10 seconds into the first match of my first tournament. Then I had to go into two more matches to drive the point home.

The good news was that if you lose quickly, you get to go home early and beat traffic.

Howard Kinnard - I did after 3 months.
I got smashed 19-0 in my first match and then 21-0 in the absolute.

And I was hooked.

Do it now! Phone Post 3.0

Similar.
Go!