When playing guard do you support your legs with your arms?

I really don’t know how to describe this but when playing various guards I’ll use my forearm as a strut to keep my leg from being folded or moved.

For example when single leg x-ing someone’s right leg you can support your left leg with your left arm with your elbow on the floor and your palm is just below your left knee.

And that sort of thing can be done in a bunch of places. Do you do this?

Mendes bros do this a lot. I stumbled upon it because my laziness results in me playing a lot of guard flat on my back and there was no where else to put my hands if I didn’t have grips.

If the Mendes do this, its most likely a very good technique

1 Like

Yes, this is a type of framing. Most common applications I use this is countering a torreando (frame my own elbow to the ground and hand to the my far leg so there is no rotation of my body or pinning of my far knee) or as a counter to the double under guard pass. I even sometimes do this while I granby because I have short legs and I use it as an assist.

FRAMING! Duh that’s the word I was looking for.

And yes SpeedKing in all of those situations I use it too.

The torreando counter becomes the granby you speak about if done in the way I’m thinking.

Another good one is in half guard to avoid knee cuts. Frame your bottom leg to prevent the knee coming through by putting your arm under your leg. Don’t play much single leg x, but I see what you’re saying.