Where to stay in NY close to MG Academy???

I'm planning a trip to NY for 4-5 days and want to know if anyone knows a cheap place close to Marcelo Garcia's academy. Preferably walking distance. For those of you who have visited, where did you stay? For those in NY, what hotels are close by? We will be going in a group of 4 so a hotel might end up being cheaper then a hostel.

-Thanks

With 4 people you may want to look into renting an apartment WITH a washer and dryer. You do not want to spend money and time at local landromats, believe me, it sucks if you train twice a day. Use a reputable company, they have plenty of rentals and you should be good to go. A weeks metro pass is only 29 bucks so you do not have to be within walking distance, but it is a nice area and close to Times Square. Your going to need a metro pass anyway, there is much to see and do. Just a thought, it works well for us when we go there in a group. Enjoy

cheap is not the thing that describes the area near Marcelo's. it's in a very touristy area.

save yourself a few hundred bucks and go uptown. upper west side has some decently priced places. i live in harlem and its only a 25 minute subway ride.

you can sleep at penn station

Thanks for the quick reply guys. The apartment idea sounds good. I found some on www.housetrip.com . Are there any other sites I can search on. Where did you stay in NY Devil Dog?

Cheap is a very relative term and in NYC is probably a lot more than you are expecting.

The apartment idea is probably your best bet.

Also check Queens. There's no cheap area around MG. Phone Post

the last time my wife and i visited NYC, we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, it's very nice and we would definitely stay there again if ever in the city!

hope this helps!

- King Jaffee Joffer

Check out www.airbnb.com - used it when I went to Boston Open Phone Post

Try contacting them - I was hoping to go there over the summer and from what I was told there is an academy apartment - kinda like a dorm room type of thing.

No one got back to me though after my initial call and I ended up at 50/50 motel (kenny and seph's house) and trained at Hall's academy.

I hope that they do have a dorm room for visitors as I wanna try go there next spring or summer.

I was quoted 400$ a week (a week being 6 days) which included training access - that was what I was told over the phone and through e-mail anyhow.

Thanks for all the info guys. I booked an apartment in the Bronx that's only 41 mins away from the academy (4 min walk, 33 min transit, 5 min walk). It only cost $193 for 5 nights (divided by 4 people it's only $48.25 each for the 5 nights!). We will be sleeping on air mattresses though, but for the price it's worth it. If all goes well I'll let you guys know if I recommend this place after my trip. I'm going late January. Can't wait, super excited!

KidKash - Thanks for all the info guys. I booked an apartment in the Bronx that's only 41 mins away from the academy (4 min walk, 33 min transit, 5 min walk). It only cost $193 for 5 nights (divided by 4 people it's only $48.25 each for the 5 nights!). We will be sleeping on air mattresses though, but for the price it's worth it. If all goes well I'll let you guys know if I recommend this place after my trip. I'm going late January. Can't wait, super excited!

The Bronx?! RIP Buddy.

Oh come on guys, I've lived in the Bronx my whole life, it's relatively safe. It's better than Brooklyn IMO.

When are you going? I think the academy is closed for a few days in mid Jan.

redwhiteandblues - the last time my wife and i visited NYC, we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, it's very nice and we would definitely stay there again if ever in the city!

hope this helps!

- King Jaffee Joffer

DId you sow your royal oats while you were there?

Going Jan 21 - 26. I hope it's not closed then, since I already have my bus ticket and the room booked.

KidKash - Going Jan 21 - 26. I hope it's not closed then, since I already have my bus ticket and the room booked.

I was wrong in my previous post, they might just be closed for Martin Luther King day (won't affect your visit).

allergic to cats...damn

You could always stay at the place Jon Voight rented in Midnight Cowboy.