Who is DandyDon the hater?

This what forum member DandyDon posted in response to my thread soliciting raffle entries to help sponsor Debi Purcels trip out here to host a free self defense clinic for women.

Date: 29-Dec-03 03:03 AMMember Since: 18-Nov-03
35 Total Posts Ignore User

It sounds to me like "ThaDonRiz" is unemployed and needing a little quick cash. I don't trust people who suddenly decide to open up their own "charity"... going directly into their own Paypal account.
Hey "ThaDonRiz", have you filed for 501c3 status with the government before accepting this money? If not, you are breaking the law. I think you should be reported. The laws of the United States are in place to keep well-intentioned people from getting scammed.
Post your personal information here.

This was my response to him:

Date: 29-Dec-03 12:56 PM
1847 Total Posts Ignore User
Edit

DandyDon,

ThaDonRiz in just beginning his last semster in law school. He has a pretty good lob lined up with a nice firm post grad. He is hardly unemployed. What do you do?

Secondly, this is a RAFFLE! Duh! It is not a charity or non-profit and filing is not necessary under these circumstances. Talk about exposing your ignorance.

Thirdly, you'd have to be some special kind of person to even make a post like that. I don't even want to begin to imagine the lonely life you must lead if you read up about what we are doing and responded they way you did. In all seriousness, you have issues.

Lastly, since you know so much about the law then let me tell you one more thing. What you posted is considered libel. I made it very clear that this was a raffle and you asserted that I am in violation of a federal law that just doesn't apply. Thats called malicious disregard for the truth. The malice in obvious in your post.

I notice you have a very low post count and have no information in your profile. You are trying to place a blemish on a very worthy effort. Several pro fighters and all forum members who posted are supportive, except you. Does that tell you something? If not, theres not much anyone can do for you.

Lastly, I have already said that I will be completely open about the manner in which every dime is spend by providing receipts and proof via my paypal account about what is in there. You would think it would be obvious (to everyone else) that I need to purchase Debi's ticket by using my own money and reimbursing myself with the donations. I have said that any surplus will be donated to the organization and I will provide proof of that as well.

I promise you one thing. If you continue to try and smear my name or hurt what we are doing I WILL file suit against you. Its what we do at my firm every day and would be very easy. Quit while you're ahead.

Thank you to everyone else for your support.

Kirik,

Honestly, do we need people like this on our forum? Do thay better it or MMA in any way?

"I hate when people talk in the third person."

LOL, so do I! I said it like that b/c of the way he began his post. Trust me, i didn't mean it that way.

Yes you do have to show damages (in any civil case) and I don't think it would be pretty difficult under these circumstances. But I don't want this to turn into a legal debate. I just found his post insulting, disrespectful and out of line, especially considering the time and effort that I, Debi, all the pro fighters and many others have put into trying to do a good thing.

Just like school on Sunday, no class.

ttt

I wouldn't worry about guys like that. There will always be people who will try to fuck with you, no matter how good your intentions are.

I'd just keep things as positive as possible and ignore assholes like him.

Going back and forth with trolls will only hurt you in the end.

ThaDonRiz:

I am not familiar with the federal regulations referred to by DandyDon, but gambling operations, raffles included, are a highly regulated industry throughout the country on the state level.

Your profile says that you're located in NJ, and I recommend, if you haven't already done so, checking out the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission website at: http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/lgccc.htm and the (perhaps) applicable statute at http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/lgccc.htm
to make sure you aren't breaking NJ state law by running what may be considered an unlicensed gambling operation.

While I admire your initiative and good heart in sponsoring this raffle for what seems to be a good cause, and I hate to rain on your parade, there is a chance that you're risking substantial civil penalties and perhaps jeopardizing your admission to the bar by continuing such activities.

Famine,

Thanks for the heads up but thats already being taken care of. Its just a matter of paying a small fee to the municipality in which I live in exchange for a license to hold games of chance. In fact, I am exempt from the requirement b/c the value of each of the prizes is less than $50. But...its easier to get the license (and to cover my ass in case the value of the sutographed items increases) than to rely on the exemtion provision.

Bottom line, there is no problem. The license is being prcessed and everything is legit. I really do appreciate you looking out for me though. BTW, one of my profs at law school (Prof Responsibility) used to serve as a Bar Examiner. He made it very clear what will hold up your admisiion to the bar and what will be overlooked as youthful indiscretion. Can you imagine them not admitting me to the Bar for forgetting to get a municipal license to raise money in support of an anti-sexual assault organization?

Adam

ThaDonRiz,

I'm glad to see that you're being careful. I really couldn't imagine the character and fitness committee (or whatever the nj equivalent is called) calling you on this one, but unfortunately, stranger things have happened.

Good luck with your legal career. You seem to be a thorough person, and that will go a long way in the law.

Famine,

Thank you foryour support. In law school you learn a lot about what can happen when you are not thorough!

Shawn,

We all know his type. Trust me when I tell you that it doesn't bother me. People like that see things the way they see them b/c of issues in their personal lives.

ttt

ttt