Who should Joanna Jedrzejczyk fight next?

Who should the former strawweight champion fight next? Namajunas? Zhang? Somebody else? Read the strawweight greats thoughts at the link below.

1 Like

Weilli seems the obvious choice

5 Likes

This. Fight of the year last year. Zhang just lost the belt, the first was a split D. My only question/complaint about it is what happens if Joanna wins? Does she deserve another shot against Rose? She’s only 2-4 in the last 6. Yet she’s clearly one of the only five-ish actual fighters in WMMA.

WMMA is so weird.

1 Like

If she beats Zhang who else is there but Rose? She will eliminate pretty much anyone in a number 1 contender fight.

If Carla and Rose fight and Carla wins its much easier match making and comes with a story.

Might wind up with musical chairs belt

Jake Paul.

5 Likes

I’d argue that she should take an easier fight for now, but number 3 is Carla, and we know how that will go.

It’s weird because there is such a huge gap between the top 3 and everyone else.

Nah.

She’s crush anyone below her still.

Has to be Zhang then Rose or it’s a waste of time.

In a normal full division maybe a lower rank fight works, but just not enough top tier WMMA talents.

1 Like

I think after all the tough fights shes been having she should get someone lower ranked, someone she should beat. She doesnt need to be in another war right now, she needs a confidence booster.

Even in a normal division, you still have Colby getting the next shot at Usman.

I think JJ v. Zhang is the sort of fight that’d be booked in any division.

well she fancies herself a celebrity now, so give her anything she demands. At least thats what she feels.

Personally, I think UFC should do JJ vs Zhang and just let Esparza fight Rose.

1 Like

I’ll never understand the fascination people have with rematches and rubber matches in mma. We just saw them fight so why make that fight again? If it’s a rematch you want then have her fight Esparza (who should be the next title contender) otherwise match her up with Dern.

It’s a mess and horribly shallow for a pool.

I’d like to see her fight deez

I agree. Well, RUBBER matches I get because they are 1 and 1, but what I can’t stand are IMMEDIATE rematches, especially when there was nothing controversial about the first fight. I was ultra annoyed when Conor got an immediate rematch with Nate, and pissed that he’s getting one now with Dustin. Okay, that’s a rubber match but Conor should fight someone, anyone, else first. Johanna doing a rematch with what’s her name when she hasn’t fought anyone else since doesn’t make sense to me. Yeah, it was a great fight, but let the the build up simmer. Let us see them both destroy one or two opponents first and then it’s time to run it back!

1 Like

This.

1 Like

Yeah. They are sometimes appropriate. A few come to mind:

-Shogun Machida (all time controversial decision)
-Frankie Maynard 2-3 (draw in a title fight)
-Fig Moreno (draw in a title fight)
-Rodriguez Stephens (unfortunate DQ)
-Wonderboy Woodley (draw in a title fight)

But, in general, rematches are best after some time has passed. Robbie Lawler v. Rory 2, Dustin v. Conor 2 (not 3), DC v. Jones 2, these are when rematches are best IMO.

1 Like

My penis.

Unfortunately it proves just how wank that division is. If they want to keep WMMA then maybe just have a 135 division and say move to Invicta if you don’t like it.

Every now and again there a compelling fight, but outside of the top 3, who cares…

Hm, I think 115 is easily the best women’s division and it has talent beyond the top 3.

tbh, I’m not sure what people are complaining about here. There are similar bottlenecks in other divisions: heavyweight and welterweight, for example.

2 Likes