Who was the King of Old School MMA?

To me it has always been Royce Gracie.

Coleman

theshooter - " I know Royce was selected by the Gracie family to show Gracie JJ was the superior single martial art because of his smaller and weaker looking stature,"

Royce is actually somewhat tall at 6’1", but yeah, he had a thinner build and did not look like a bulked up muscular guy.

I saw Royce at LAX, he was way bigger in person than I thought he was going to be.

“More like thanks/a favor for working the fight against Takada. Fujita could have easily pulled out backstage and an alternate would have jumped in. Starting the fight with a towel throw was essentially a work/throwing the fight to Coleman. It was bullshit. It would be illegal anywhere with a legitimate AC and not a Yakuza/Pro wrestling production.”

Even with Fujita walking to the ring and immediately throwing in the towel when the fight was supposed to start, they could have said that that was not really a fight, and brought out an alternate opponent. I am pretty sure that they did have some alternate bouts.

“I saw Royce at LAX, he was way bigger in person than I thought he was going to be.”

I don’t know when you saw him, but he bulked up later on compared to who much he weighed at UFC 1.

Unquestionably Vovchanchyn.

He was fighting all the time and beating BJJ black belts, and wrestlers which was insane at the time.

Guy went on a legit 20 fight win streak when most didnt have 20 fights total.

Nobody could make 5'9 215lb Russian kickboxer as a work in the history of the sport before or since the way he did.

Renzo but im bias as he was my instructor.

theshooter - "More like thanks/a favor for working the fight against Takada. Fujita could have easily pulled out backstage and an alternate would have jumped in. Starting the fight with a towel throw was essentially a work/throwing the fight to Coleman. It was bullshit. It would be illegal anywhere with a legitimate AC and not a Yakuza/Pro wrestling production."

Even with Fujita walking to the ring and immediately throwing in the towel when the fight was supposed to start, they could have said that that was not really a fight, and brought out an alternate opponent. I am pretty sure that they did have some alternate bouts.

Exactly. It was shady AF. 

Everyone acted like Coleman was the clear #1 after that and then Nog fucking destroyed him lol. 

theshooter - "rickson"

My problem with giving this the King of Old School MMA title to Rickson is that he fought pretty weak competition in MMA. I understand that he won a bunch of grappling matches, and some street fights and dojo challenges, but even Helio Gracie said his 400-0 record was exaggerated.

I wonder how he would have done against Igor Vovchanchyn? Igor and Rickson were close in height (Igor might be slightly shorter than Rickson, not sure, but they are close), but Igor was a bulkier guy, although some of that was fat. I think Igor could have given Rickson some serious problems.

Igor V was a beast but look what Mario Sperry did to him.

Murilo Bustamante 

Ryazzo - Frank Dux

the greatest ever. no one comes close to what he did on a single night in combat sports!!!!!! 

FatBuddha -
theshooter - "rickson"

My problem with giving this the King of Old School MMA title to Rickson is that he fought pretty weak competition in MMA. I understand that he won a bunch of grappling matches, and some street fights and dojo challenges, but even Helio Gracie said his 400-0 record was exaggerated.

I wonder how he would have done against Igor Vovchanchyn? Igor and Rickson were close in height (Igor might be slightly shorter than Rickson, not sure, but they are close), but Igor was a bulkier guy, although some of that was fat. I think Igor could have given Rickson some serious problems.

Igor V was a beast but look what Mario Sperry did to him.

Sperry had much better takedowns than rickson

Marco ruas because he showed the effectiveness of leg kicks