Who would you choose ?

As some of you may know, The Contender Asia did not do well in the American market, I think that part of the reason was that we didnt really have a well known fighter representing our country, Im not saying that the fighter wasnt good but he was not as known as a few other fighters in his weight class. Who would you like to see represent the United States in the next Contender Asia ?

Kit Cope. Seriously, if we are looking solely for ratings hes like the ONLY known Thai boxer in America

It would probably depend on the weight class. While I can appreciate going for ratings, I would prefer that we choose our BEST fighter over our most well-known fighter.

The second season is going into production in March of 2009 and we have yet to hear of a US qualifier. Canada, Spain, Russia, and a bunch of other countries all held their elimination tournaments already. We need to get on the ball. I heard ours was going to be in Las Vegas but there has been no official line up yet.

Sad to say, but we are the last and sometimes least respected when it comes to Muaythai. We need someone who represents the sport well. The Contender Asia was a success overseas because their is a different mind set about combat sports than here in America, mainly due to the over saturation of MMA. In America, people want drama which in turn brings in the ratings.

The World Muaythai Council is very strict on the fact that they want the sport to be shown in a positive light. They don't care much about drama or ratings. They want the authenticity and true nature to be shown. Something that is not appreciated very much here in the US unless you truly understand the sport. Stephan Fox was also not happy with who they sent in to represent the US last season.

We need someone who will represent the sport with integrity but also be able to shine on camera. A lot of fighters come to mind but the weight would be an issue.

^+1

Kit Cope would definatly steal the spotlight. And i would say he is much better than the guy who was in season one. But credential wise i think Duane Ludwig is still the top dog altough he has not competed in MT in quite a while. Wins over stadium champions is very respectable.

WuFang - As some of you may know, The Contender Asia did not do well in the American market, I think that part of the reason was that we didnt really have a well known fighter representing our country, Im not saying that the fighter wasnt good but he was not as known as a few other fighters in his weight class. Who would you like to see represent the United States in the next Contender Asia ?

was the first season of Contender considered the most successful??

if so, i would suggest that it has nothing to do with the individual fighters presented themselves but rather the theme and of course, star power (Sly was in the first season) and the first season revolved around classic American underdog fighter tale that is synomymous with Sly/Rocky persona. the family angle, the honor of fighting for your family, and depicting their dignity in defeat.

all i ever heard on forums were comparisons to TUF and comments like, "well if it went to the ground ... " etc. and negative reactions to the sound effects and editing of the fights. again, the TV industry trying to provide ENTERTAINMENT, if you really wanted to go see the fights, turn to VS or ESPN ...

the combination of certain factors i believe gave the original season a much wider appeal, than the narrower focus of a Contender Asia does. the fighters are AWESOME, but the themes aren't there so much to make the non-avid fan care about them (HBO's 24/7's are great at doing this as well) without that sort of angle on presentation, i think that the demographic which truly appreciates a show like Contender Asia will remain quite small, relative to boxing and now more so, MMA.

i know this wasn't exactly what the thread-starter was asking but i'd just like to give my .02 on the subject

We need someone who will represent the sport with integrity but also be able to shine on camera. A lot of fighters come to mind but the weight would be an issue.

Mark Dellagrotte?

Christian Montes - 
WuFang - As some of you may know, The Contender Asia did not do well in the American market, I think that part of the reason was that we didnt really have a well known fighter representing our country, Im not saying that the fighter wasnt good but he was not as known as a few other fighters in his weight class. Who would you like to see represent the United States in the next Contender Asia ?

was the first season of Contender considered the most successful??

if so, i would suggest that it has nothing to do with the individual fighters presented themselves but rather the theme and of course, star power (Sly was in the first season) and the first season revolved around classic American underdog fighter tale that is synomymous with Sly/Rocky persona. the family angle, the honor of fighting for your family, and depicting their dignity in defeat.

all i ever heard on forums were comparisons to TUF and comments like, "well if it went to the ground ... " etc. and negative reactions to the sound effects and editing of the fights. again, the TV industry trying to provide ENTERTAINMENT, if you really wanted to go see the fights, turn to VS or ESPN ...

the combination of certain factors i believe gave the original season a much wider appeal, than the narrower focus of a Contender Asia does. the fighters are AWESOME, but the themes aren't there so much to make the non-avid fan care about them (HBO's 24/7's are great at doing this as well) without that sort of angle on presentation, i think that the demographic which truly appreciates a show like Contender Asia will remain quite small, relative to boxing and now more so, MMA.

i know this wasn't exactly what the thread-starter was asking but i'd just like to give my .02 on the subject

Some good points made here. I think that the producer will do an even better job this time around. I believe he is the same guy that produces Survivor. So it gives the show a feel that is different from The Contender(boxing).

I think it all comes down to demographics. You can't please everyone. Even with MMA. When you watch old Pride events the crowd was somewhat more respectful. Like a crowd watching tennis, only clapping when something exciting happens. In America we want blood, drama, booing, loud, drunkenness, etc.

Case of clash of the cultures. I wouldn't change the way they represent the sport just to appeal to Americans though.

I guess we fell a little of topic, lol.

if it's the same weight has last time Chike, Bryce Kraus, Michael Manniquil, Ra'Karma Young....

Ra'Karma Young is a good choice

Ra'Karma Young +2

I ran into Bryce Kraus when I was in the states last year and mentioned to him I might have an "inside track" for him if he wanted to apply for the Contender MT...

His response...

"Why would I fight Yodsenklai for next to nothing?!?!"

...I didn't know how to respond.

Bryce would be an amazing talent on the show.

Somerville Bad Boy - Kit Cope. Seriously, if we are looking solely for ratings hes like the ONLY known Thai boxer in America

And that is such a shame.

glock4life - 
Somerville Bad Boy - Kit Cope. Seriously, if we are looking solely for ratings hes like the ONLY known Thai boxer in America

And that is such a shame.

The sad part is he has a really good point. The show is not going to be seen or even heard about by the majority of the American public so there is no reason to apply. It makes more sense to try to fight Yodsenklai in K-1 or during Kings Birthday.

Could we send Malaipet and claim him as an american representative? He's lived here for a while now, right?