"Who's the #1 UFC Middleweight Contender?"

- WHO'S THE NO. 1 UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT CONTENDER?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

/o:p

DANA WHITE’S ONE-ON-ONE VIDEO INTERVIEW/o:p

The top contender picture in the middleweight division seemed somewhat clear after Dan Henderson knocked out Michael Bisping, but the water got murky again when Nate Marquardt put away previously undefeated Brazilian Demian Maia at UFC 102 on Saturday night. With one punch Marquardt placed himself directly in the thick of things for a shot at champion Anderson Silva. /o:p

Marquardt was an odds on favorite heading into the fight, but few expected the Colorado resident to finish the grappling expert with one punch less than 30 seconds into the bout. /o:p

The questions started immediately following UFC 102 about where Marquardt's win places him in relation to a title shot./o:p

"I think he looked great tonight," UFC president Dana White said during the post fight press conference.  "Obviously those are the kinds of punches you see in movies, that stuff usually isn't real, in video games or something. It was an unbelievable shot.  He looked great and I have to figure this thing out now."/o:p

Not taking anything away from Dan Henderson, White was still unsure about the 185-pound title picture and who would be the next up for a rematch with Silva./o:p

"Obviously they're both in the mix for a title shot against Anderson," White said of Marquardt and Silva./o:p

Crushing a top ten level opponent like Demian Maia, Marquardt was happy with his performance. He says he's okay whether he gets the next crack at the champion or if he was to go through Henderson first./o:p

"I don’t really care who I fight next," said Marquardt.  "I want to fight the best opponents, and I feel like I'm going to get my shot when it's my time.  Doesn't have to be next. I'd be glad if it was next, but whatever's next I'm excited for."/o:p

One thing that has been brought up by several members of the media, as well as Anderson Silva himself, is putting Henderson and Marquardt in against each other to prove who the true number one middleweight contender is.  /o:p

White didn't rule out the possibility of the match-up, but did say that despite the Nevada State Athletic Commission recently passing a rule allowing five-round non-title bouts, the UFC doesn’t intend to partake in such bouts at this time./o:p

Nate Marquardt definitely didn't make the decision any easier for the UFC to pick who’s next for Anderson Silva, but he definitely made a strong case that he belongs at the top of the list. 

I thought they pretty much already told Hendo that he would get the next title shot.

^ I would not like to see that again

I think Henderson is the bigger fight. Maybe Marquardt/Okami for a shot too.

The greatest trick Yushin Okami ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist....

32Hunter - 
JT42382 -  ^ I would not like to see that again

I would, that never gets old.

dont get me wrong.. i love franklin, but i seriously feel that anderson has got his number

I think it's too soon for either Hendo or Nate to face Silva but there's nobody else at 185 thats even close. Silva needs to fight at 205 for a few more fights, until a strong condender can be built up. He's just too good for the division right now.

Silva needs to vacate the MW belt and move to LHW.  He's cleared the division and to fight rematches with guys he destroyed, makes no sense at all.

The winner of Hendo vs Marquardt is the #1 contender. Both have far better resumes than Okami after his last loss. If he beats Sonnen Okami needs to get in the mix there though, they need to give him a top 10 guy and NOT Maia, someone coming off a win.

Yushin Okami.

Mad Xyientist - Yushin Okami.

Why? For beating Dean Lister, Evan Tanner, and Jason McDonald?

nhmmafan - 

And Mike Swick and Alan Belcher.

I'm so sick of hearing Okami's competition isn't good enough.

He can't win fights he's not booked in.

IrishFighter110 - 

Hendo showed he can beat Anderson when he won the first round.

And then was unable to get a td in the 2nd round of a 5 round fight?

Also, the way Dan fell into that top position was pretty rare and he didnt do shit to Anderson on the ground. Woopty doo, he won the round but lmfao if that meant anything esp since he couldnt even do it again the next round without getting schooled.

When are people goint to realize that even if Dan takes people down, he doesnt do much to them on there.

Dan does stuff on the ground when he drops guys, not takes them down.

nhmmafan - 

Id put Nate as #1 and Dan maybe #2 though i dont think Dan has a chance in the rematch.

Okami is 7-1 and as mentioned, he hasnt beaten anyone good because he's only got one real good opponent in 8 fights and lets not forget Rich may have won that decision but Okami's 1 round was better than Rich's 2 (fair and square as a 29-28 loss and all...).