Why can fighters walk out with flags anymore?

It just causes more problems honestly. I think the flag/symbol GSP wore is the insignia of the Japanese navy from WW2 era, where Japan did a bunch of shockingly awful things to Korean people. It is in extremely poor taste to wear that particular symbol/flag around ethnic Koreans.

When you wade into this kind of thing you should expect politics, long standing feuds/grudges and all kinds of other shit to come with it.

1 Like

This is a more nuanced and sensitive topic because are probably aware of the history between Japan and South Korea. There was a big thread on this at the time and there are similar but different comparisons imo to the Nazi and Confederate flags. To Koreans and other Asians that were victimized by wartime atrocities during WWII from Japan, they see the Japanese military flags in similar light to how Jews would view the Nazi flag and Black Americans view the confederate flag.

What GSP wore and this was a similar issue to the Japanese Olympic team uniform in Beijing i think was that GSP’s gi had the rising sun motif. The Japanese military (i think naval flag) still uses that design, not just the red sun but the ones with the beams coming out (also popular during the rockin 80s). Ill just add that i am from a Japanese background but my stance towards this is that i fully understand where the Zombie and others would be coming from on this. The japanese olympic uniform had a similar motif where the rising sun was on the rib area (similar to where Cain has his Our Lady of Guadelupe tattoo).

Heres some of the nuance though:
The rising sun motif pre-dates imperial Japan and the military flag is still used today by the navy i think. It technically never symbolized the ideology of imperial Japan where the Nazi flag and i would argue Conferdate flag absolutely do. However its not shocking that Koreans, Chinese, etc do not see that nuance. They just see the flag that the Japanese brought with them when they were massacuring their people so of course they dont like it.

On the flip side, the flag is also used by right wing nationalists in Japan so…

Hayabusa Pulls Georges St-Pierre Rising Sun Gi After Korean Zombie Complaint | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

1 Like

Rising Sun Flag - Wikipedia

Some history and details of the motif and flag.

I certainly understand the history behind the various flags mentioned, even the period in which they were used. I also understand how certain groups could find a particular flag offensive based on historic event(s). I guess my point is …once we say one is offensive then all are offensive to someone. I am not opposed to allowing all flags if someone wants to identify with it, even Communist, Nazi or Confederate flags. If they are dumb enough to associate that with their image then it is on them. It also comes down to who chooses which cultural sensitivity is actionable. I just prefer to avoid that all and instead just stop letting people’s sensitivity, control us. Take your offended-ness and let it motivate you to kick ass and then raise your flag high. There are flags that make me want to punch the person holding it but I dont and I certainly dont want to ban it because it is annoying or offensive.

Because the UG is really bothered by it. Every time Kamari Usman fights someone bitches about him carrying the Nigerian flag. Really dumb.

It’s an International Sport, I don’t understand where there’s confusion on this.

The problem isn’t that flag, it is what that flag may represent if it isn’t a recognized country, disputed territory, etc. In some cases like GSP it may mean something totally different to a large group of people who were victims of the ideals behind a certain flag or insignia. Then you run into other issues like if two countries are at war or have a long standing conflict. It really just becomes more of a headache than its worth honestly.

People get triggered by flags can go fuck themselvs

2 Likes

This fucking stupid. Who cares who has their flag up? Are people this fucking thin skinned? No more sponsor and no flags. Does Dana want to take everything away? Jesus.

[quote=“Ministry_of_Truth, post:40, topic:3727367, full:true”]

Yeah. What I said was idealistic perhaps but it’s true and I really hate politics. You can be proud of where you’re from and not have it define you politically or even socially. MMA just hasn’t had any of these rules applied until now.

They apparently are…and “they” want certain flags banned so as a blanket policy all flags will be banned? Is this the new rule in MMA?

The problem is… it is the same media that is owned by political interests/intelligence apparatus. So anytime sports are covered by this media they will inherently spin it for their political or cultural gain. Different outlets obviously serve different masters. In the case of the US, I think they are all pretty much owned by a small monolithic group. Wherever they are is the spin zone. They obviously have an agenda.

It isn’t about being thin skinned. Some pretty awful shit has happened that people were eventually brought to justice and hanged for. To some people who lived through it or had to deal with it indirectly, its a reminder that they don’t want to see. Seeing the symbol of what caused lots of people to be murdered displayed prominently would be pretty triggering if you or your family had to go through it. Like somebody said, it would be like seeing a Nazi flag out in the open and people cheering the person with it. It just is a headache and potential problem the UFC doesn’t want. Because then how do you decide what is a legitimate flag? What if Khabib came out flying the Chechen flag? Russians would be shitting bricks over it.

You know why!

Don’t play that fuckin game.

3957bd2bb1018590d53a2f4b514304ea

I am a firm believer that people have a right to association. These two obviously share something we dont understand because it is not ours to understand. I am an American patriot but I leave the option open for others to be as patriotic as I am for whatever it is that they are. I am against all cancelling, especially in terms of fighting because you can settle it all on the mat, in the ring/cage, etc.

I welcome all flags and if people have fidelity to it, that is on them and the free market will determine whether it was a good decision or not. No better way to shit on someones flag than to woop their ass! Train hard to make it happen dont try to cancel your motivation.

1 Like

Pretty sure Kadyrov just wants to use Khamzat for PR.