Why Chuck Beats Shogun

Chuck ranking is staedily declining. Matt Hughes is also. With all the new fighters from Pride and the competition in Matts weight class(gsp, kos, diego, the prodigy)and the new competition for Chuck, the ufc will have some new faces to represent the company.

Rich, Tim, Chuck, and Matt are slowly fading away as each contract is signed. Buh-bye

what is wrong with you people? are you that blind?

shogun has absolutely no ko power in his hands and terrible takedowns. chuck has ko power in both hands and feet.

shogun was outstruck by overeem, Diabate and even CYBORGs wack ass.

chuck would have land a bomb for sure. Have any of you even watched his fights???

"shogun was outstruck by overeem"

So what chuck, overeem was owning him until he got caught. Shoguns untamed aggression would be too much for chuck to handle, chuck is a good counter puncher, but shogun would overwhelm him.

yes, but there is a difference in the power of overeem and the power of chuck.

noone can afford to take that many shots from chuck liddell.

another thread killed by an intelligent post...

I agree. I think Chuck KO's Shogun. I could kinda seeing it happening like Babalu when he was chasing Chuck and got KO'd. Shogun's style is he trys to push the pace of the fight, which is a cardinal sin when you fight Chuck. I think Wandy has a better shot to beat Chuck because he sits and waits until it's the right time to brawl.

Is this confirmed, I have been out of it for a while. I say this one is too close to call. I have always been a Shogun fan but damn, Chuck is going to be coming out like a bat out of hell after his loss.

I love Shogun, but he has a questionable chin and nowhere near the accuracy or power that Chuck has in his hands. yeah, he'd probably hit Chuck 5x before Chuck got him, but when Chuck gets him its gonna be ugly. Nogueira dropped Shogun pretty much every 30 seconds that they spend on the feet; I'm sure Chuck would catch him too.

One of Shoguns greatest strengths in Pride seem to have been his stomps, which fit well with his general uber-aggressive game.

I think he will miss that in the UFC, though of course he will be a huge player.

The fight could go either way with Chuck but you would have to lean towards Shogun just because of the form he has shown recently.

"yeah, he'd probably hit Chuck 5x before Chuck got him, but when Chuck gets him its gonna be ugly."

agreed. i'd be rooting for shogun but it's a terrible matchup for him. chuck by KO, late round 1 or early round 2 (ala mezger).

"I think your right and you will be heavily ridiculed. "

ha ha well put... great post cave

Its hard to take a lot from the shogun-rampage fight though. Quinton looked pretty bad in that fight, and Shogun did all of his damage from the clinch. I think Chuck can avoid the clinch and force Shogun to chase him.

ill be the first to say that in a rematch rampage will ko shogun.

I agree with the thread starter, Shogun couldnt take Chuck down and i favour chuck standing because of his power. I actually consider Shogun at least as much of a grappler as a striker and Chuck's superior wrestling would force Shogun to stand when he would otherwise look for the takedown. However, Shogun(and Wanderlei should he fight Chuck) both use the clinch very effectively so that might even up the stand up battle. Nonetheless, id go with Chuck via eventually one his big punches.

I cant believe how after losing one fight people are dismissing Chuck in the space of a sentance.

No one doubts Chucks power, but he is not a very technical striker and he
finally got caught in the Rampage fight. I can see Shogun by strikes, but
somehow submitting Chuck.

"ill be the first to say that in a rematch rampage will ko shogun."

bold claim but correct

"No one doubts Chucks power, but he is not a very technical striker and he finally got caught in the Rampage fight"

This is true but does Shogun have that kind of power? Not to mention Shogun is far from a technical striker himself and has been outstruck a few times. If Shogun allowed it to become a brawl and chased Chuck aggressively i think Chuck's power would prevail(i could see Shogun holding his own but ultimately lacking the sort of power necessary to KO Chuck).

"Shogun doesn't have strong takedowns"

I disagree. If you watch Shogun's fights, he takes down world class BJJ'ers with ease and repeatedly.

"Shogun is highly aggressive with his somewhat sloppy striking."

Actually, Shogun slips a lot of punches and is much more technically sound than Silva. His striking is actually very fluid and not sloppy at all.

His aggression can be confused with sloppiness, but it's not the same thing.

Yes, I agree. I think people have it out for Chuck because they associate his fans with people who are only casual fans of the sport and know him from talk shows and xyience commercials. If you look at him as a fighter, he's excellent and can give a lot of Prides beloved 205ers trouble.

And for the record, I actually think Alistair Overeem with a gas tank is a tougher fight for Chuck than Shogun.

"Actually, Shogun slips a lot of punches and is much more technically sound than Silva"

he still gets hit way too much to survive chuck.