Why do new cars sound like a ufo when they break?

I have noticed this especially with Hondas, Toyotas and Hyundais which make up probably 90% of new cars on the road where I live. I haven’t seen a new gm car on the road in a few years. Why is it when they come to a stop it sounds like a ufo or humming sound. Googling this I found no answer. Another thread could be. Who’s buying new ford, gm, Mazda and Chryslers? Every new car in my city is a Toyota, Honda, Hyundai Uber driver. I see nothing else on the road that is newer than 5 years old.

Because they’re running on electric power. If the combustion engine isn’t running on a hybrid, or if it’s a 100% electric vehicle, they makes that sound at low speeds so people will hear them.

People are used to hearing a car engine and we’re getting hit by electric cars at low speeds because they weren’t paying attention because they didn’t hear anything. So manufacturers started doing that to make people aware of a vehicle there.

I think some type of artificial sound is required now, but I’m not 100% sure of that

3 Likes

My newer Tundra does it. It’s the parking brake engaging automatically.

Electric vehicles are near silent. Pedestrians were being hit without a chance to hear the vehicle coming and get out of the way.

I’ve been in a parking lot many times over the years when a Prius would sneek up behind me and scare the crap out of me. Saw a Tesla Roadster once before Tesla got big. It was crrepy seeing it take off from a stop sign quickly and silently. Almost got hit by an old pickup truck once and I definitely would have been taken out if it was a silent electric.

A sound is now required, though I don’t know what the specific sound requirements might be. I recall it was in the works for a while with gov and manufacturers.

This is why we need president Camacho. He could require electric vehicles to play Ludacris’ Move Bitch when driving

the dodge hybrid suv sounds like a church organ