Why doesn’t Khabib work on his striking?

With his grappling ability, the thought of him developing his striking would make him an undeniable all time p4p GOAT. 

Russia has so many great boxers, kickboxers, TKD fighters, etc. Why hasn't his dad encouraged him to seek out diverse training? Ive read before that his dad restricts him from sparring when he's at home, which I commend. He's looking out for his son, but with that said, he's a championship level fighter.

Could you imagine if Khabib spent a year in Holland or Thailand? It would be terrifying to watch, he's a freak fucking athlete. 

1 Like

Not sure that would add to what he brings. In all reality, I believe that would put him in striking range more, away from his source of dominance. What might change my mind on the benefits of striking for Khabib is if he's shown to be inferior to a high level folkstyle wrestling approach at 170 (Colby, Askren. Kamaru, Ferguson)

The guy is 28 and 0. Pretty sure he has a solid gameplan for competing at the highest level with any opponent. Not sure why anyone would question what he's doing, or not doing, when the game he has is virtually flawless.

4 Likes

Why don't his opponents just side step the takedown? 

1 Like

Short answer. He does. Op is an idiot. He stood with Conor for a whole round. He stood with raging al half the fight 

2 Likes
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

With his grappling ability, the thought of him developing his striking would make him an undeniable all time p4p GOAT. 

Russia has so many great boxers, kickboxers, TKD fighters, etc. Why hasn't his dad encouraged him to seek out diverse training? Ive read before that his dad restricts him from sparring when he's at home, which I commend. He's looking out for his son, but with that said, he's a championship level fighter.

Could you imagine if Khabib spent a year in Holland or Thailand? It would be terrifying to watch, he's a freak fucking athlete. 

He learned from GSP. GSP used to strike a lot more until a short lesser fighter knocked him out. From then on GSP used his wrestling first.

StrikingMMA - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

He learned from GSP. GSP used to strike a lot more until a short lesser fighter knocked him out. From then on GSP used his wrestling first.

GSPs striking got way better after that.

Remember his jab? (Koscheck does)

We never saw that until way after Serra. He got profoundly better striking after that fluke loss.

1 Like

Why doesn't Tom Brady work on his running?

Why doesn't Rita Ora work on her typing skills?

duh

Dryfly - 
StrikingMMA - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

We never saw that until way after Serra. He got profoundly better striking after that fluke loss.

His wrestling became his first goto rather than his striking. BJ Penn remembers that.

Besides, if he took a year off just to work on striking/boxing, thats two maybe three fights he would lose out on which could mean several million dollars lost as well as promotional/advertising revenue.

I dont think thats a equal tradeoff just to wow people on striking.

Vikingknee - 

Short answer. He does. Op is an idiot. He stood with Conor for a whole round. He stood with raging al half the fight 

Lol dude that’s harsh! :slight_smile:

but yes you have arm barred the correct!

What makes you think he doesn't work on his striking? 

1 Like

Khabib does work on his striking and Javier Mendez mentioned just recently that Khabibs striking improved leaps and bounds. He just fought the guy with arguably best hands in the division so of course his striking looked pale in comparison but that doesn't mean he can't punch. Iaquinta admitted that Khabibs striking is vastly underrated.

Dryfly -
StrikingMMA - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 

It’s not a fluke that Matt serra could have butt raped gsp and made him his prison bitch. Gsp tapped to strikes while simultaneously getting tko’d. Deal with it

1 Like
Vikingknee - 

Why is everyone a tough guy in here? This forum used to have people who actually wanted to discuss/debate but now we get this trash.

1 Like

Of course he works on his striking, there's plenty of footage of him doing just that. 

1 Like
touch -

Khabib does work on his striking and Javier Mendez mentioned just recently that Khabibs striking improved leaps and bounds. He just fought the guy with arguably best hands in the division so of course his striking looked pale in comparison but that doesn't mean he can't punch. Iaquinta admitted that Khabibs striking is vastly underrated.

You know I love you as a poster, but what else is Javier going to say? 'Oh yeah, Khabib's striking totally stagnated under my watch. As a matter of fact it's gotten worse'

As far as Iaquinta is concerned, he's (a) not a good striker to begin with and (b) not a good athlete at all in comparison to Khabib [Khabib is elite, Al is not]. Khabib's striking is downright dangerous, his athleticism mitigated much of the danger though. 

Khabib is friendly with Usyk, Loma, Kovalev and GGG. If he got himself into any one of their camps, he's such a freak athlete, he'll surely improve by leaps and bounds. 

1 Like
Alex101 -
Vikingknee - 

Why is everyone a tough guy in here? This forum used to have people who actually wanted to discuss/debate but now we get this trash.

Most of the forum doesn’t train at all. 

I wish there was a technique ground, just for the technical discussion. 

1 Like

His striking is actually pretty effective. He may not be technical but he lands and clearly has power behind his strikes.

In exchanges he may look reckless but his opponents also know they can't necessarily capitalize and it's not all for fear of the takedown. He's got some torque behind his punches so opponents can't even go as hard in striking exchanges as they'd like to because he lands heavy. He dropped Conor and was hurling some bombs in his brief exchanges with Dustin.

So opponents end up stuck. They can't go all in when Khabib is willing to strike because he hits hard and can shoot at any moment, and of course they can't strike at all when they're underneath him gasping for air. 

It's really not fucking fair. 

Very simple. It's called "father plan"...

He says it himself, that he would love to show his progress in that dept. except...father plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkunnoLu8P0