Why doesn't Wandy use clinch anymore?

I really noticed this in his last fights since coming to the UFC that he doesn't utilize his knees in the clinch much anymore. Why is this? It was such an effective weapon for him.

I am very surprised he didn't try to clinch with Franklin all the time since he saw how effective A. Silva was with them.

Most WAND fans have no idea what he's doing when he goes out there anymore.

Been wondering the same thing. perhaps it's because the UFC light heavies are just too big to control and muscle around in the clinch, but then again, we've never even really seen him attempt a clinch, not even with Franklin. Plus he did manhandle rampage in the clinch twice so it's not as if he's not strong enough. I really don't know....

noticed this since his first fight with the ufc.

Now he can scare them up close with his joker face

kerazzle - Been wondering the same thing. perhaps it's because the UFC light heavies are just too big to control and muscle around in the clinch, but then again, we've never even really seen him attempt a clinch, not even with Franklin. Plus he did manhandle rampage in the clinch twice so it's not as if he's not strong enough. I really don't know....

watch the franklin fight again he does thai clinch

TheTrollSmasher - 
kerazzle - Been wondering the same thing. perhaps it's because the UFC light heavies are just too big to control and muscle around in the clinch, but then again, we've never even really seen him attempt a clinch, not even with Franklin. Plus he did manhandle rampage in the clinch twice so it's not as if he's not strong enough. I really don't know....

watch the franklin fight again he does thai clinch

Guess i forgot. My bad...did wanderlei have any success when he did clinch with franklin?

Seems like a lot of the fighters that went from Pride to the UFC didnt bring over their old style. Rampage was known for slamming his opponent in almost all his Pride fights; I cant remember the last time he slammed somebody in the UFC.

Silva had brutal clinch strikes in Pride; I havent seen him work his clinch in any of the fights in the UFC.

Maybe its the rules but you dont see the same styles from fighters when they change from Pride to UFC.

HELWIG -  Most WAND fans have no idea what he's doing when he goes out there anymore.

hasnt been the same since the hendo/crocop killings

dub post

maybe todays fighters are too good at defending it

I think it's because he lost his size/strength (due to loss of special Japanese "diet") and he's now facing more big wrestlers in the UFC.  These are guys who will be tough to control in the clinch and who are adept at taking guys down from clinch positions.  Wand wants to keep the fight standing and so he avoids clinching with those guys.

thread ova ?

thefightingsheep - I think it's because he lost his size/strength (due to loss of special Japanese "diet") and he's now facing more big wrestlers in the UFC.  These are guys who will be tough to control in the clinch and who are adept at taking guys down from clinch positions.  Wand wants to keep the fight standing and so he avoids clinching with those guys.

I believe there is a lot of truth to this statement. Still its not like Wanderlei's ground game sucks and he had always seemed able to get the fight back standing before.

I just think when you have such a dangerous weapon you should use it.